What did your life look like 10 years ago?

I was a single mom of a 5 year old. I bought my first house that year. And I didn't discover my Disney addiction until 3 years later!

In 2009 we were in House #1 on a suburban village lot, with our 2 dogs. My niece had just been born. Been married for a shade under 2 years. I was working full time. Landlords on the side.

Today, I'm in House 3 on a bit of rural acreage.... 3 children now, who are 9, 7 and 5. One dog passed away 2 years ago and the other just passed away a week ago today. Working part time. The rentals have since been sold.

Then- 2 full-time jobs, 2 kids in college and same house.

Now- both retired, kids grown and on their own,2 grandsons, same house.

I was living in a different city in the same state, a stay-at-home mom with a five-year-old and a one-year-old. I was committed to continuing as a SAHM, but I was giving a lot of thought to what I wanted to do once my son started preschool and I'd have more free time to get a job or go back to school or something. SAHM life had not panned out to be the dream life I had anticipated and I was feeling bored and unfulfilled (although in hindsight I wouldn't trade those years at home with my young children for anything).

Ten years later, I'm almost done with the Ph.D. program I started the same week DS started kindergarten, and I'm excited about my new career to come!

Another thing just occurred to me. Ten years ago I think we would have been just about to take our first family trip to Disney. Now, 10 years later, for the first time since moving close to Orlando we haven't renewed our APs, and got APs to the Universal parks instead. Part because we were a little tired of Disney and wanted a change, part because Disney is ALWAYS so darned crowded these days, and partly because I got really annoyed by the resort parking fees and was loathe to give Disney any more of my money. But in those ten years, we did a full Disney circle.

Lots has changed, but still the same husband, still the same kids, and I think I even still own some of the same underwear!

I was 15 years old, finishing secondary school, with my GCSEs coming up soon and was lost in playing The Sims 2.

I had been living in our current house for just over a year and still getting it the way I wanted (built and moved in end of 2007), DD had just turned 1 that April and we didn't know how soon we would find out DS would be along! DH owned his own business and I was working at a job I loved in a fortune 100 company.

now - DD is 11, DS is 9, DH works at a factory job which he took when we didn't know the direction my job was going and needed backup for insurance which this job has been a blessing to us. I was downsized 2 years ago and now work in a much less stressful position for a small private business! Still in the same house and loving it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter