What did your life look like 10 years ago?

I was getting really involved with school I was working at. I mean, I was the warm body that always said yes to what ever they needed :) I loved every minute of it. It was also the first full year of my Dad dealing with cancer. Despite that or because of that my family/extended family all got really close and had a great summer that year.

10 years ago I was living in London, England and preparing for the most amazing summer of a concert residency at The O2. I was working with an outside events company and worked in various venues around central London such as Tower Bridge, Royal Courts of Justice, Guild Hall and various Royal Livery Halls and conference centres doing after hours fine dining events.

Very different. Lived in a Victorian house in FL. Went to Epcot every Friday for dinner and fireworks. Had a great group of friends we frequently did things with. DH was still working. Now, we reside in NC, DH no longer works and live in a different style house on a lake. Different set of friends and places we visit. Totally different.

I was 52
2009, 2 kids away at college, empty nesters.
Had a big meeting with our Financial Planner and Attorney laying out our final retirement and estate plans. Set December 2019 for retirement
Housing market started to crash here, lost $150,000 (on paper) on my house, but house was still worth $200,000 more than I paid for it.

Today.
1 kid married and a month away from becoming a father, 1 kid back home saving up to buy a house because she thinks paying rent is a total waste of money (and I agree).
Doing our final meeting retirement meeting with our Financial Adviser and Attorney in a few months. Other than healthcare, everything is as predicted. Affordable Healthcare act forced us to move back our retirement date until July 2020 because our healthcare premiums until we qualify for Medicare at 65 have soared.
Housing market surged last year, my house is worth almost $400,000 more than I paid for it, but market is faltering again because, people are backing off buying at those values.

I had just started a job (which I am still working at) about 6 months prior, so I was getting settled into the job and a new city. I was single with no kids. Now married with a 16 month old son. So workwise, I would say not much different, except for more responsibilities. But my personal life is a whole lot different and better!

Getting ready to take my daughter to WDW for her first time.

Working at a job I loved

Feeling proud I was doing so well for the first time in a long time.

Things changed about six months later, but that’s for another day.

So very different! I was stuck in a loveless marriage, walking on eggshells around an abusive husband. So very glad that part of my life is over because two years later it completely turned around for the better.

I was on maternity leave excited about spending the next year at home with my new baby, the first grandchild on both sides of the family.

I was obese, severely depressed, overwhelmed by two toddlers and all but financially ruined. Was not a pretty picture. Fortunately, it all started turning itself around about a year later.

I was a stay at home mom of three young kids.

Now we are in a different city, I’m working full time again and my kids aren’t so young anymore.

Finished grad school a year earlier, was working part time, had two kids, and lived in a different state.

THEN: Working as an elementary school aide, in constant fear of getting laid off (which I was, within six months), alternately depressed/enraged about the Gret Recession.

NOW: Living back at home, running a public advocacy campaign to do my part to help ensure another Great Recession never happens again.

I was a young, new military wife, with two year old twins. I had just left my whole life behind and moved to TX with just my husband and kids... It was so.hard. My husband deployed and had a ton of training while we were there so I kind of made my own life and friends. I had a really hard time emotionally and socially, but I’ve grown so much from it! I wouldn’t be the person I am today without that experience.

10 years ago, I had two teenagers who were getting into shenanigans. I had one preschooler who had a very significant speech disorder. I could understand 3-10% of what he said 10 years ago. It was difficult to say the least.

Wow. Different and not. Live in the same place. But, my kids are now graduated from high school (finished their freshman year in college), and I'm now on City Council in my little town. And, I've taken up running again. Lost 38 pounds. And, can put most 40+ somethings to shame in a 5k. :-) I'm 60.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter