What do I do if...

allymouse

Mouseketeer
My 13 month old cries on a ride?

I’m so excited to take my baby to Disney for the first time. Articles I read say we can ride a lot of things.

What if my kid starts crying on Spaceship Earth? What if he starts screaming on Pirates of the Caribbean? Is he going to piss off people on it’s a small world?

Anyone have experience with this? Thank you!

If you're worried about disturbing other passengers, that's very sweet of you, but I think Disney must have a pretty good setup with their sound system. I don't recall hearing crying kiddos on rides even though they must be there. Maybe the people sitting immediately next to you will notice but I think the music and room changes (you typically ride into different rooms or areas on rides like Pirates of the Caribbean) must be set up in a way to minimize passenger noise ('cause teens and older kids can make way more noise than toddlers and babies, lol.)

If you're worried about having a scared baby on your hands, if you do some Googling, there are sites that rank the 'scare factor' for various Disney rides, I think. There's no foolproof recipe but they can give you a general idea of what might trigger your specific kiddo. One of my nephews, for example, was fearless about roller coasters, fast rides, giant drops, etc., but was going through a phase where anything associated with 'bad guys' was super scary. So for him some of the 'super scary' thrill rides were fine while some of the super tame rides with 'bad guys' in them were a no-go. Knowing that, we could figure out what would be a suitable ride for him and what wasn't.

Try not to worrt about it too much. Little ones cry. It's just a part of life and MOST people at Disney are going to underdtand and sympathize if they hear a little one crying on a ride. Do whatever stuff you normally do (that's safe and possible ofcourse) to try to calm them down, maybe throw out a quick "I'm sorry" to those around you and understand that a lot of us have been there. Whether it's on a ride, in a show, at a restaurant, on the bus, the plane, whatever--- just about every parent has had their baby/toddler cry in a place that may disrupt others.

Some tips that may help:
- For the tame boat rides and such, we carried a small bag with us that had a snack, a sippy cup, and a small toy. The snack we would reserve for lines or if we really needed to in a show, but the sippy cup and toy came out a time or two on the rides when needed.
- Point out the different scenery, the colors, whisper to them about what's going on, cuddle them. If it's the scenery or ride itself that's upsetting them, let them bury their face in your arm or chest and rub their back. They typically aren't going to care on the boat rides if you pull your little one onto your lap during the ride.
- Always double check diapers before getting into any line to avoid any crankiness from that.
- My toddler tended to snack and drink a lot at Disney. Small things to eat settled better in the heat than a normal sized meal, but it meant he was hungry more frequently, and of course would be grumpy when he was hungry. So make sure to bring or get snacks frequently and drink LOTS of fluids. Have a quick snack before getting on a ride if they seem hungry/thirsty.
- Know how your kid is when they are tired/ how they nap. My son was happily lulled to sleep on iasw and the Carousel (thankfully I had an arm around him!) but for other kids, the rides can be too much stimulation when they're sleepy. If they are sleeping, don't wake them up to take them on a ride.

I hope this helps and that you have a fantastic trip!

My son was 15 months old on our last trip and we were pleasantly surprised by how much he genuinely liked the rides. His faves were Small World and the carousel, but he didn't cry on any of them. There was so much to see and he loved looking at everything on the rides. We did our best to keep him fed, well-rested, and cool, that probably contributed to him staying calm. And we avoided Haunted Mansion and Pirates because we thought they might scare him. But overall, he didn't cry on a single ride- fingers crossed your baby is the same way!

You'll be fine for the most part. I think. You know your child the best so be aware of their mood whether they are hungry or tired and you should be able to judge if it's a good time to go on a ride.

I agree with the above posters, I think you'll be OK -- plus at 13 months, none of my kids were really too frightened by much -- once they were toddler years is when they started developing some random fears.

In 2015 my youngest was 2, middle kid was 4 and my oldest was 5 -- the 5 year old completely lost her s*** on Peter Pan's Flight of all things, and then refused to go on It's A Small World after that. I did eventually get her on Small World a few days later and she loved it, but I didn't even attempt Pirates after that. They were also afraid of the caves at Tom Sawyer Island -- meanwhile my 2 year old went in on her own, then came out and told the older ones, "It not scary, guys, no big deal". Now my oldest is 8 and tells me she wants to do Flight of Passage in February... you just don't know with kids!!

Remember that most rides are like 2 minutes long. Well, not the ones you mentioned, but those are the longest rides. For most you'll be off before it becomes a big problem. And most people who have kids who aren't crying will remember when they were the ones with crying kids and be sympathetic or ignore it. Crying kids are everywhere at Disney. Yours won't be the first or last anyone sees that day.

I think that crying kids always bother the parents more than other people but that's because the parents are worried about other people getting annoyed. Disney is for kids and I think almost every kid will at some point have a meltdown. When you have long days, weather to deal with, long lines and just away from a routine in general, it should not be a surprise to see kids crying. Heck, I wanted to cry a couple of weeks ago when it poured rain on us, I was exhausted from going rope drop to midnight and hangry on top of that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter