What do you have to lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m on a medication for a chronic medical condition that study shows might not mix well with hydroxychloroquine so I would say no to taking it if I was asked.

No doctors that I've seen have suggested hydroxy without azythromycin works, many/most say zinc must also be added; that they hydroxy attacks the virus so as to allow the zinc to get inside it and finish it off.

"Hydroxychloroquine is the gun. Zinc is the bullet." I read that somewhere and thought that was a succinct explanation.

Anyone else read information about studies into treating Covid-19 like they do High Altitude Sickness...?

My husband and I saw the YouTube video of a doctor in New York who had this theory. It was pretty interesting and made us wonder if that's one of the (many) reasons why it's not as serious where we live (Utah = High Altitude living).

My husband and I saw the YouTube video of a doctor in New York who had this theory. It was pretty interesting and made us wonder if that's one of the (many) reasons why it's not as serious where we live (Utah = High Altitude living).
The CDC has Utah in the "Yes, widespread" category for community spread. The number of verified cases relative to population is higher than California's, although the availability of tests is a problem in both states. Supposedly the state had managed to secured several hundred thousand tests, and that could result in more verified cases.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
But altitude likely has little to do with it. Colorado is being hit pretty hard.

First US results in:
Of those that were given Hydroxychloroquin with Z Pak, 20% of patients died. Of those that did not, 11% died.
Small study, not peer reviewed . . . but then again the reports that got this treatment touted were even less stringent.
So, what therapy was given to the other patients?

So, what therapy was given to the other patients?
Likely all the standard treatments that anyone would get. Medications to handle the symptoms. Basically the common treatments are all trying to keep the patient alive long enough for the immune system to kill off the virus. Worst case scenario is a tube placed in the trachea and a mechanical ventilator. That's certainly no fun. It's supposed to hurt like hell, so they need sedation and pain meds.

My grandmother was on a ventilator before she died in her late 90s. Not sure what happened, but reports were that she woke up once because she wasn't properly medicated. She then ripped the tube out and ended up damaging her trachea in the process. Probably hastened her death, but she was at a point where it was futile.

What is ridiculous is that people take medical advice from politicians and celebrities. I would prefer to take medical advice from medical experts. Not some talking head spouting off complete nonsense, lies, and fabrications.
Even I hated that project Lady Gaga did, since it's made me think that anything that supports the WHO is indirectly feeding into China's complicity. Not to mention that it's yet another bout of empty virtue-signalling by celebrities on ecological and medical issues that should only be tackled by scientific experts, not famous people or politicians who only act on emotion and not always on rational science.

They've made claims that they were treated with the same medical care that any Australian would have given their condition coming in. They spent most of their time self-quarantining in their hotel room.

They received their treatment in a public hospital - the same that any Australian could access without charge. They were some of the first Coronavirus cases here (before any real restrictions came in) and all cases in Queensland were being hospitalised at that time. I think at that stage they were throwing anything they could at these cases as it was so early and there were so few of them; I also recall that there was a drug trial very early on so she may have been part of that. I don’t think they got any special treatment though, and haven’t heard any discussion about it locally.

I would like to have hope in the many many real doctors and patients who say it saved them. Not one small handful of cases. And, It is the older drug that has the problems. Not the one being talked about. Tons of doctors have prescribed this medicine to tons of people. It does not cause bad side effects. People do not die. We don’t know anything about what happened to Tom Hanks wife. They aren’t talking about exactly every thing she was taking and how much. I think I did here it was the other medicine. And it could have been a high dose. We do know that she is alive.

I believe that both the old and the new version of the drug will cause heart arrythmias that can lead to sudden death. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it is a risk.

I look at all of these "studies" the same. You can be all hyped up on the positive ones and then discount the negative ones. Why? Because none of them are clinical trials. They are either anecdotal or they are retrospective studies of the outcomes. All of the results have to be taken with a HEAVY dose of caution.

I will say that this particular restrospective study of the outcomes of what happened in the VA hospitals is one of the more balanced looks at it because they actually compared it to a group NOT taking the drug and they took into consideration the comorbities as well as how sick the patient was to begin with and made adjustments for that. It's a bit more analytical than anything else we've seen. Just like the positive words on this drug, you can't just ignore these results either.

The CDC has Utah in the "Yes, widespread" category for community spread. The number of verified cases relative to population is higher than California's, although the availability of tests is a problem in both states. Supposedly the state had managed to secured several hundred thousand tests, and that could result in more verified cases.

4,000 cases out of 3 million people. I wouldn't call that widespread. (I even rounded up to take in consideration testing lag and future positives over the next couple of days.) Could that number go up? It probably will. As it stands now, 2,999,996 million people are fine. People are confident enough in the relative health of the state that businesses are getting ready to "soft open," doctors are gearing up to resume elective surgeries, and everyone is out and about living their lives. Some with masks; some without.

As for testing, Utah has done a pretty good job given the sudden onslaught of the virus. The Utah Department of Health worked with the tech/medical companies to streamline the process. It was quite impressive that so many people were able to come together so quickly. People are being tested. Some people more than once (that's how plentiful the tests are) although I can't imagine why a person would want to put themselves through that more than once. Ouch!

https://www.testutah.com/

I would like to have hope in the many many real doctors and patients who say it saved them. Not one small handful of cases. And, It is the older drug that has the problems. Not the one being talked about. Tons of doctors have prescribed this medicine to tons of people. It does not cause bad side effects. People do not die. We don’t know anything about what happened to Tom Hanks wife. They aren’t talking about exactly every thing she was taking and how much. I think I did here it was the other medicine. And it could have been a high dose. We do know that she is alive.
I thought there was as serious possibility of heart issues with hydroxychloroquine. One person died of a heart attack after taking it because she wasn't carefully monitored in a hospital setting.

There are definitely cardiac arrhythmia concerns with hydroxychloroquin and its derivatives.
To quote Gov. Cuomo from moments ago,”we can’t be stupid.”

I would like to have hope in the many many real doctors and patients who say it saved them. Not one small handful of cases.

"Hydroxychloroquine is the gun. Zinc is the bullet." I read that somewhere and thought that was a succinct explanation.

Exactly!
There was a study released last week, I think it was, that said hydroxychloroquine did not help but they had only given hydroxy, no azithromycin, or zinc. Well, I don't think anyone has said hydroxy works by itself. And, with the study here, the zinc was not included. But, the biggest thing I have heard doctors say is that the combo works best when given early. If we wait until people are hospitalized we are not giving the medicines at the right time. Not that there is no benefit, but that it is greatly reduced if you wait too long.
The good thing is, each person can decide if they want the drugs. Or, at least, they should have that choice.

I've read a few articles stating that COVID19 is resulting in heart problems including the virus attacking the cells in the heart, or even your own immune response attacking the heart.
That is also attacks other organs.
Just putting that out there. It seems we are damned if we do, damned if we don't with this virus and it's "treatments".

For me, if I'm at death's door- try whatever you want because I truly have nothing else to lose at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter