What do you know about

mousefanmichelle

DIS Veteran
Inpatient hospital mental health care?

My son was admitted to the hospital yesterday and was put in the psych ward. He is 20 and we had to petition for him to be admitted because of his threats to harm himself. I need to know good, bad or whatever, if you have experienced anything like this.

Thank you

There are, of course, enormous variations depending on the hospital. However, generally speaking these are not intended as long term treatment facilities. The goal is to stabilize and discharge to out patient treatment programs. I don't know whether he has any psychiatric history, but they will likely implement a drug protocol to help with the self harm. He will be assigned a psychiatrist for med management, a psychologist and a social worker who will coordinate after care. Typically this involves participation in an PHP (Partial Hospitalization Program) or IOP (Intensive Outpatient Program). Insurance companies typically do not want to pay inpatient any longer than is necessary so finding an appropriate level of care outpatient is important.

The best advice I can give is to see yourself as your son's health advocate... just as if he had a heart condition. Try to be present as much as possible and make sure you are in contact with his treatment team. Don't be afraid to question their decisions... as his mother, you know him better than anyone else can. You may be providing essential information that they need to make the best recommendations. Don't be afraid to be assertive... sometimes you need to be when you are dealing with psychiatric professionals. Make sure your voice is heard.

Mental illness is a chemical, biological disease. Remember it is no ones fault any more than any other illness. Reassure your son that you will always be there... I know this is an overwhelming and difficult time for you all, but in his mind he is likely in a dark and scary place right now and needs to know you will be there with him whatever he may need. Psychiatric units have many caring and supportive staff... they are not the dungeons that many people imagine. Remind him that this is a place for him to get well and feel better.

Sending big hugs your way.

I agree with many of the points Debbie Jean made above. I would however caution just how strenuously you advocate against doctor recommendations until you have thorough information about their care directives and the reasons for them AND your real reasons for disagreeing. You are in a very challenging position under enormous stress. It's easy to reject professional opinions because the patient may insist very convincingly that the treatment is wrong, harmful or incorrect because they firmly believe it. I've seen it happen many times and then after a week of treatment the patient suddenly regains some equilibrium and is compliant with treatment and much more themselves. A very dear friend went through a horrible ordeal when her son attempted to take his life and was hospitalized. He received good care and was subsequently released with a diagnosis my friend rejected for her own reasons. I'm happy to tell you her son has done relatively well over the past ten years, but I can tell you my friend has since confessed to me that she still has concerns and can see now that the diagnosis given was more than likely correct. She isn't so worried about him harming himself but she does worry that his issues will be a lifelong barrier to stability and success in large areas of his life. She admits she was unable to face the diagnosis at the time because she didn't want to label her son and worried it meant she had messed him up as a single mom.

My friend would strongly urge you to listen to the professionals, learn all you can and remove your ego and your fears as much as humanly possible before making decisions against professional recommendations. Chemical treatments take time to work, time to evaluate and require ongoing monitoring and adjustment.

I wish you much luck and send hugs and prayers for you, your son and your family.

Unfortunately, a lot more than I would like to know about it. My mom has been in inpatient mental heath facilities 5 times. This last time was under court order. I feel for you because I know that it is a very hard decision to make. The best advice that I can give you is that even while you are advocating for your son, please, please be sure to take care of yourself.
After staying in a week this last time, she entered an intensive outpatient program for 6 weeks. I think that it helped a lot.

I just wanted to tell you I think you are very brave for sharing this with us and let you know that I will be thinking of you and your family in what must be an incredibly difficult time for you. You did the right thing to get your son the help he needs, too many people fear the stigma that mental illness has attached to it and as a result the patient doesn't get the necessary help.

The only knowledge I can share is that a good friend of mine works in the mental health field and I have met many of her coworkers over the years. They all seem like a very compassionate group and they truly love their work.

Inpatient hospital mental health care?

My son was admitted to the hospital yesterday and was put in the psych ward. He is 20 and we had to petition for him to be admitted because of his threats to harm himself. I need to know good, bad or whatever, if you have experienced anything like this.

Thank you
I know nothing about it but wish you and him the best of luck. It's got to be a tough situation

Thank you for the responses so far.

At this point I just want to help my son be the best version of himself that he can. That has always been my goal. I want him to be a successful adult meaning that I want him to have a job, pay his bills, be responsible and be able to care for himself - not successful meaning making hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am not going to deny that there is something going on with him. He needs help and I want him to get it. If the recommendation is medication, I will learn all I can about it and if it helps him remain clear headed or whatnot then I won't disagree with his care plan. I want him to be happy or at least content and be able to come up with realistic goals for himself.

My son is almost your son's age.
It can be such a tough time!!!!
I do not have any experience, or specific advice, but I definitely want to send you so many hugs and prayers.
And, do take care of yourself!

I have a family member that was in mental facilities many times. There are good ones and bad ones so do your best to understand what they each offer. Some are better with certain illnesses than others. Hopefully in the hours they are mandated to keep him, they can get an idea of what he needs, but most of it depends on his cooperation. He will still need care when he gets out though to keep himself regulated. The good ones make an amazing difference. I hope this is a great turning point for him and they get him figured out very soon.

I have a daughter that is a close to your sons age. I can completely appreciate your wish. We are in a similar but not as severe situation right now. I hope that you find the answers you are looking for and that it brings you all a piece of mind and peace in general. For my own particular situation it is hard to see other adults her age and everyone seems to be on a path and know what they want and where they are going and she just seems so lost right now and floundering and it kills me to not know how to help. I too want my daughter to a successful person. But success for me is not measured in her paycheck either.

Sending you love and good vibes. I was admitted at 16. I understand and wish I had had someone who is this open and supportive, your son is lucky to have you. :hug:

My son was admitted Monday and he called me that afternoon, angry. I didn't hear from him on Tuesday but his social worker called me to update me since my son had signed releases to let her talk to us. That is positive. He called me again Weds morning and I could tell he was still upset but he was telling me he hadn't slept at all since he had been in there and he was irritated - he hung up on me. A while later he called me back and was much better and we talked for a while. They do have him on anti-depression medication. Last night was visiting night and our family went to go see him. He seemed ok and said he was ok with being in there and that he thought it was the right thing for right now. He does get released today after we have a family meeting. We had told him Sunday night that he needed to find another place to live because of some stuff he was doing that we don't agree with. That is what started this whole thing. We still have this issue and at this point I am not sure what we are going to do about bringing him home today when they release him. I just don't know and we are struggling, my dh and I.

My son was admitted Monday and he called me that afternoon, angry. I didn't hear from him on Tuesday but his social worker called me to update me since my son had signed releases to let her talk to us. That is positive. He called me again Weds morning and I could tell he was still upset but he was telling me he hadn't slept at all since he had been in there and he was irritated - he hung up on me. A while later he called me back and was much better and we talked for a while. They do have him on anti-depression medication. Last night was visiting night and our family went to go see him. He seemed ok and said he was ok with being in there and that he thought it was the right thing for right now. He does get released today after we have a family meeting. We had told him Sunday night that he needed to find another place to live because of some stuff he was doing that we don't agree with. That is what started this whole thing. We still have this issue and at this point I am not sure what we are going to do about bringing him home today when they release him. I just don't know and we are struggling, my dh and I.

I feel for all of you. I'm not questioning your decision, but I can't imagine him having to find a place to live after being released is going to help things. If what he "was doing" was prior to his getting help, do you think it's possible that he will no longer do those things and be able to stay in your home?

I feel for all of you. I'm not questioning your decision, but I can't imagine him having to find a place to live after being released is going to help things. If what he "was doing" was prior to his getting help, do you think it's possible that he will no longer do those things and be able to stay in your home?

I don't know. We are going to talk about it today in the family meeting. That is our starting point I guess.

At your meeting ask about partial hospitalization programs. He will have to spend days, but not nights there. Unfortunately, it may take a while to get into one of the programs. Sadly, he is at a place that he is too old for teen the programs that may better address where he is in life right now. Anti-depressants will take a while to kick in. Assuming that the issues you have problems with involve self-medicating, he could have even additional problems.

I don't know your history with your son or your family's situation (young kids in the house, etc.) But I will let you know that the number one thing that will help him will be for him to feel supported and loved by his parents. Number two will be a decent therapeutic team, a psychiatrist and therapist (for all of you) that everyone is comfortable with. You are all in for a tough time, but now is the time to love one another and to rebuild trust. It won't be easy.

At your meeting ask about partial hospitalization programs. He will have to spend days, but not nights there. Unfortunately, it may take a while to get into one of the programs. Sadly, he is at a place that he is too old for teen the programs that may better address where he is in life right now. Anti-depressants will take a while to kick in. Assuming that the issues you have problems with involve self-medicating, he could have even additional problems.

I don't know your history with your son or your family's situation (young kids in the house, etc.) But I will let you know that the number one thing that will help him will be for him to feel supported and loved by his parents. Number two will be a decent therapeutic team, a psychiatrist and therapist (for all of you) that everyone is comfortable with. You are all in for a tough time, but now is the time to love one another and to rebuild trust. It won't be easy.

He isn't self-medicating so that isn't our issue. It's something else I am not comfortable sharing but we don't have young children, our DD is the youngest at 18 and our oldest is 22 so I am not worried about our other 2 kids besides them dealing with their brother. We love our son. Our other 2 kids love their brother and we are all here to help him be his best self. We want him to be well and happy.

I just never thought this would happen to him or to us. I am having a bit of a pity party thinking what did we do wrong, what didn't we do... all those questions running through my brain. I think we will all have to have some family counseling - it won't be the first time for us, we've been down that road before but we will do it again to support each other and move forward.

Sorry I don't have any personal experience of the US system or any advice, but I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and send you hugs. :hug:
Just the fact that you're willing to stand by and support him through a difficult time will mean a lot.

He isn't self-medicating so that isn't our issue. It's something else I am not comfortable sharing but we don't have young children, our DD is the youngest at 18 and our oldest is 22 so I am not worried about our other 2 kids besides them dealing with their brother. We love our son. Our other 2 kids love their brother and we are all here to help him be his best self. We want him to be well and happy.

I just never thought this would happen to him or to us. I am having a bit of a pity party thinking what did we do wrong, what didn't we do... all those questions running through my brain. I think we will all have to have some family counseling - it won't be the first time for us, we've been down that road before but we will do it again to support each other and move forward.

Right now, you need to focus on today and tomorrow. Get to the family meeting. Get him some treatment. If you need to keep busy, start calling local facilities to see who has partial hospitalization programs and get on the waitlist.

They will want him monitored, so living with you is his best option. Be prepared to discuss the issue you have with him and whether that is a symptom/manifestation of his disease. How to manage it while he is in the acute recovery phase.

Hang in. It's painful, but it can be rewarding. Feel free to message me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter