What does everyone think about Punta Cana right now? DD has a trip planned...

Keep the deaths in perspective. There are definitely resorts I'd avoid...like the one that so badly handled the woman who was attacked.

Part of the problem is that the recent reports are not limited to certain resorts or even certain cities in the DR. It's all over the board. The resort where the woman was attacked is the Majestic Elegance. I stayed at the sister property, Majestic Colonial, many years ago. Majestic resorts have always been a reputable brand in the travel industry. The Elegance has been around a long time and is a popular choice, especially among middle class vacationers (like myself). In fact, the Elegance is considered the "higher class" resort over the sister property, with a club level and suite options that are quite nice. I think Majestic may even have a brand new resort in Punta Cana as well - they do well there. When I heard about the attack on the woman, I was shocked to learn it took place here and what the resort's response was to it. I was fully expecting a lower star resort, maybe a new or small resort.... not one quite this notable.

One of the other deaths occurred at the Hard Rock Punta Cana which may be one of the most popular all-inclusives out there. Its considerably more expensive than other all inclusives in the area, and they have a ton of amenities and a service experience that draws people in. My friend is getting married there next year, booked it right before all these stories came to light.

My point is that it seems no place is currently immune to these stories popping up in the DR. Its happening at places we would not expect. Until the source or a common thread is identified, I'm not sure how you could pinpoint which resorts are best to avoid.

The DR, Punta Cana in particular, is a mecca for all inclusive resorts. The mini bars at all inclusive properties are almost always included in the cost of your stay. In other words, it doesn't cost extra. It would be very easy for hotel staff to taint these somehow, but I'm not sure what the motive or benefit would be. But I have also heard of several potentially mini bar related incidents.

I have to wonder if its something related to their water supply. I remember traveling to the DR years ago (10+) and our tour group was instructed to not drink the water under any circumstances. The tour guide said to keep our mouths shut in the shower, use bottled water for teeth brushing, etc etc. The resort provided large bottles of water in our room every day. Meanwhile, all the drinks they served us had ice cubes that undoubtedly were made from the same non-potable water we were told not to drink.

I can't speak for DR, but in Mexico, ice at these sorts of resorts is made with purified water. It's a law and a requirement. Just as the water that is used to wash vegetables, etc. Never gotten sick at a Mexican resort personally. Of course, I don't change my diet significantly while there, and I don't overindulge in alcohol. :-)

Watching news right now, 9th death of a US tourist vacationing in DR was reported this morning.

I had a friend that went about a month ago. She said several people in her group got sick. I asked her what she thought was causing all of this and she thought it was mini bars being tainted. The on the news that night they said the FBI was looking into the mini bars! I have never used the mini bar in my travels (too cheap). I don't think I ever would.

The 47 people in the Jimmy Buffett Parrothead group that went all got ill and said they all drank at the swim up pool bar- not the mini bar in the room. There was also the kids on the senior class trip where 7 ended up in the hospital very ill. Who the hell would want to chance that when there are plenty of other nicer places you can go.

With so many other beautiful places to visit, I wouldn’t want to go to either the DR or Mexico. Both are gorgeous, but until they figure out what is going on in the DR, I would choose to go elsewhere.

As far as Mexico, they recently raised the travel advisory for there as well. Yes, stuff happens everywhere, but I just feel like the Mexican government is corrupt and fueled by the drug trade and won’t be putting any of my money into their economy.

How about Bermuda or Turks and Caicos or even Hawaii. Just as gorgeous and easier to relax there.

We were there in May for a week and didn't get sick. DH did drink scotch from the mini bar but I didn't drink anything from the mini bar. We also had drinks from the bar at the pool. We did find out after we got back that there was a death in April at the resort we stayed at and I think another as been reported too.

If we had known all of this before we went we may have cancelled depending on how far in advance. We wouldn't have had anything drink from the mini bar or mixed drinks period.

Dh and I are frequent travelers all over the world. We've talked about the DR a lot over the last few weeks. In fact, we had a trip planned to Jamaica when there was a travel advisory due to unrest in Kingston. We still took our trip, but stayed on property at the resort and didn't wander off. However, personally, I wouldn't go to the DR. right now because I wouldn't want to take the chance since they still don't know for sure what's causing the problem. There's so many other places and all inclusives I would switch to something else. We really liked Antigua if she hasn't been there.

I caught a glimpse of the news last night where it was showing how the alcohol was made a few years back. It looked to be made at a dump site, by homeless people. The barrels in which the alcohol was being made in looked like it was filled with a mix of fecal matter and radio active sludge. It was difficult to comprehend what I was seeing.

It did go on to say that there was an investigation and a crackdown.

I'm not so sure about that.

I'm a big fan of trusting the professionals about things like this - the State Department has traveler info available on every country in the world. Generally speaking, I restrict myself to countries that are a "1". Right now, DR is a 2. If there were some really compelling reason to go - a family member on a death bed or something - then it might be worth going, but nope, not just for vacation. Find one of the many "1" countries in the world and enjoy yourself.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ntry-Information-Pages/DominicanRepublic.html
ETA: In fairness, I just looked at the state department list, and the UK is currently a Level 2, and I would certainly not hesitate to travel there. I trust myself to keep up with the protest/Brexit risk issues a whole lot better than I would trust myself to know how to stay safe in the DR.

Last edited:
We’ve been to the DR twice. Once staying at the hard rock in punta Cana. I got deathly ill at the hard rock. I never drank from the mini bar - I think it was food related. No one else got sick on either trip, and there were 14 of us traveling together both times.

Oh, and they did spray my whole family with mosquito spray from the back of a truck. When we realized they were driving toward us, we tried to run away, but they never slowed and sprayed us anyway.

We have decided to never visit the DR again.

I also would not feel comfortable sending my college aged child to Mexico. Just too much drug violence down there. We visited Mexico multiple times in the past. Don’t think we are ever going there again either.

If your daughter won't be comfortable that is her right to cancel.

However she better never cruise on Disney.

I mean after all, over 100 people were sickened by Norovirus on the Wonder in 2016.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-wonder-sick-vomiting-20160502-story.html
The woman who was allegedly attacked at Magestic Elegance tried to extort the resort for 2.2 million before going public. The Parrotheads who got sick, they were all over Facebook showing what an amazing time they were having. They got sick in April and we are just now hearing about it?

As far as the Riviera Maya, why isn't it safe again?

One should consider what threat alerts other countries have for the USA before citing Level 2 warnings by the state department about other countries.

I mean after all, over 100 people were sickened by Norovirus on the Wonder in 2016.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-wonder-sick-vomiting-20160502-story.html
The woman who was allegedly attacked at Magestic Elegance tried to extort the resort for 2.2 million before going public. The Parrotheads who got sick, they were all over Facebook showing what an amazing time they were having. They got sick in April and we are just now hearing about it?

One should consider what threat alerts other countries have for the USA before citing Level 2 warnings by the state department about other countries.

Why should one consider that? Threat alerts aren't punishment - they're useful information by those that have a whole ton more insight than someone who quotes facebook as their source.

I would assume at this point that the US is a level 2 (or equivalent) for a lot of other countries, rightly so. Doesn't change the fact that I would pause and evaluate the situation before I plan a trip to a Level 2 country.

I wouldn't go, but that's just me. If it is true that they have isolated the cause of these illnesses and deaths back to tainted alcohol, then I would wait until they finish that investigation and get it cleared up before travelling there. And if they still want to go, then don't drink. That's really the only way to protect yourself. The DR is a beautiful place. It is worth going, but just don't drink alcohol.

The US has so many lovely beaches. I don't need to deal with any of that. Although, we are going to Hawaii next year and slightly worried about the parasite that people are getting from not getting veggies clean enough lol This is about as dangerous as I want to live.

Oh you mean the Facebook page of the Parrotheads on that trip who allegedly got sick in April? They got sick in April allegedly and we are hearing about it now???

Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, Jamaica, Cameroon, Kenya, Maldives, South Africa, and Turks and Caicos are among the countries that have a threat level of 2. Antarctica is also on the list

Attachments

• Travel Advisory Country List Alphabetical 1-18-18 VERT.pdf
    165.2 KB · Views: 2

There’s a big difference between getting sick from norovirus and dying from a mysterious illness overnight. The two really aren’t comparable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter