What East Coast Beach for a Family Vacation?

All these comments mentioning Myrtle Beach...:crazy2: I lived in South Carolina until I was 22. We used to vacation to Myrtle when I was a kid, but it is so trashy now. Everyone in South Carolina calls it "Dirty Myrtle" now, because you go there to party and get trashed. I don't personally like it because they hire a bunch of people from the Caribbean to work there and pay them next to nothing.

I love the Outer Banks, especially Corolla. We stayed in a condo 5 minutes from the beach. We went on a wild horse tour in 4x4 jeeps, ghost crabbing at night on the beach, I took my son on a jeep tour where we drove through wooded trails with a guide. There are lots of restaurants, esp. in Duck.

All these comments mentioning Myrtle Beach...:crazy2: I lived in South Carolina until I was 22. We used to vacation to Myrtle when I was a kid, but it is so trashy now. Everyone in South Carolina calls it "Dirty Myrtle" now, because you go there to party and get trashed. I don't personally like it because they hire a bunch of people from the Caribbean to work there and pay them next to nothing.

Yeah, we used to enjoy Myrtle Beach in the 1990s and even then, it's decline was starting. I won't go there now.

We are in Virginia. Since you asked about hotels, the Outer banks has a fair number of them. We've only stayed in one, the Sea Ranch, for a couple of days Personally I find the Outer Banks kind of crowded, especially the northern beaches.

We've been to Hilton Head many times. This was probably our least expensive beach trip. With only 2 kids, and lots of 2 bedroom condos on the island, it's very inexpensive. You can easily grab a 2 br for $1500/week in summer there, which I think is a steal. Great outdoors activities, etc. The only thing I'd critique about HHI, is most rentals aren't oceanfront, so you need to drive or bike to the beach. But each little condo "village" has at least one pool, which our kids love.

I love Sandbridge Beach in Virginia Beach. Quiet, barrier island like the Outer Banks. Much less crowded, less traffic, but an easy drive to activities in Virginia Beach. Downside for you, is no hotels. I like to rent a place for the week, so I have a kitchen and washer/dryer, plus room to spread out.

Never been to Topsail, but many friends absolutely love it. It's on my list of places to try. I know people dog on Myrtle Beach, but I know a lot of folks recommend North Myrtle. They claim it's totally different, very family friendly etc. And there are a jillion places you could rent for as many or few days as you'd like.

I've always wanted to try Charleston. Looks like lots of hotels, so might be an option for you. Have heard great things about Kiawah Island too.

VA Beach! I also like the idea of a house with extended family because you can all hang out or have private time.

Just so you know, out-of-staters visit the Outer Banks, in-staters visit Wrightsville Beach, and locals go to Carolina Beach. You'll find us at Carolina Beach--

When I was back in NC for the 4th I did EI, AB and Carolina Beach. I have to say I liked the sand and color of the water at Carolina Beach, plus it wasn't too packed. I did feel like a drunk though walking into the ocean. The bottom was very uneven w/ lots of HUGE holes, LOL.

Was hoping you guys could help.....

We're going to Disney this year for Thanksgiving, but just decided (I know, very last minute), we'd like to spend a few days at a beach this summer (prob early/mid August).

We have never really been to the beach (except in Maine many years ago in off season during our honeymooon). Looking for something family friendly; definietly not a party type place. It would be me, my son (12 yrs old), my husband and father-in-law. We would be coming from northeast PA. We would be driving (because my father-in-law absolutely refuses to fly). I have been looking online a lot and am overwhelmed by the amount of choices and so many differing opinions.

Would love any recommendations on beaches you love and also hotel/resort recommendations. We could probably drive about 10-12 hours or so. Probably looking to stay 5 or 6 nights if the ride is that long. Like activites to do but would prefer to have the hotel/resort in a quieter section. I have looked online and was considering Myrtle Beach? The North Beach Plantation in North Myrtle Beach seems to get a lot of god reviews. But there are so many choices.... Myrtle Beach, VA Beach, Ocean City, Hilton Head, Outer Banks of NC...... It's a lot to try to take in when you've never been to any of them...lol

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!
Cape Cod

Isle of Palms, SC - 30 minutes from Charleston if you need some "city" life. Beautiful alcohol free beaches that is extremely family friendly.

We love the Charleston barrier islands! IOP, Kiawah, and Folly Beach. In fact, we just returned home today from our trip there.

NC Outer Banks is the best! The others you named are crazy crowded and party places. Our ds lives in Kill Devil Hills and Wright Bros. Memorial and Jockey's Ridge are nearby. You're farther out in the ocean there, so much prettier, and with miles and miles of beaches much less crowded.

One poster mentioned that only 'out of staters' go to the Outer Banks. Not so with all the people we know - the OB's are 'the' beaches to go to.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter