What has Disney removed that makes you the saddest?

Most of Epcot from the late 80s and early 90s.

Horizons, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination, Innoventions (before it turned into a Childrens Museum and instead was a mini technology expo), the original "The Living Seas", Wonders of Life....

Here's hoping I don't need to add The Maelstrom to this list anytime soon. :sad1:

I miss the characters being more free-roaming. You used to be able to go up to the characters and get an autograph and a photo, but now you have fast past lines, and lines and staged photos, and the photopass... just so much stuff!!!

I think that Disney has become so complicated, I miss it being simple. I miss being able to get a sit down dinner without booking 180 days in advance, I miss being able to choose a line for a ride instead the line or a FP.

I also miss how you used to be able to get into the parks. They have become so crowded anymore, and I think this has a lot to do with the building of all the value resorts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's wrong to give everyone a chance to visit Disney, but I think that Disney added too many hotel rooms, and didn't expand the parks to deal with the added volume. I hate going into the parks anymore unless it's EMH. (sorry if this sounds snobby, but I am not a fan of crowds. I get all claustrophobic and irritated.)

But maybe most of all, I miss being an actual child when I was at the parks. I guess that's not Disney's fault though - nature made me into an adult. grr... As much as I still enjoy Disney as an adult, sometimes I wish I could recapture the wonder and magic from when I was a little kid, when it didn't matter if I squeezed Mickey really hard, or if I ordered from the kids menu. Though I would miss out on the cocktails while watching Wishes.

Oh and I almost forgot one! The ecotini! It was an alcoholic beverage with acai vodka and other stuff. Really yummy and it came with acai seed bracelets. It's gone now :(

Minnie's House.

It was so beautifully girly and sweet, without being princessy! It celebrated mouse creativity, and we liked taking a picture in the garden shed, and seeing how much taller my DD was each year.

Also, I believe it was called the colors of the world parade, and was in Epcot (?)...but it was a parade that had a really grand feeling!...mostly the performers in newer ones look bored to me.

And, as has been said, the Adventureres Club!!!!...I only discovered it the last year it was open, and brought my 8 year old at the time. She held my hand and asked me in my ear if we were going to get mugged, and then loved it!...the comedy club was great too!

The old Test Track - for me the changes are a huge let down

The old Figment ride - see above

I would say 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, but I suspect the magic I recall from my youth would be crushed by a ride that would feel incredibly fake and dated.

Legacy FastPass.
Spectromagic.
The waterfall in the Polynesian Lobby.
Chicken skewers at 'Ohana.
Remy at Chef's de France.
The curved bridge into Adventureland...Aw heck. If given the choice of experiencing Walt Disney World today or 10 years ago i'm going to pick the Disney experience of 10 years ago every time. The so called additions of the past decade don't wow me and certainly are not worth the increased cost of a Disney Vacation. The subtractions are far more significant than the additions. It's sad to see the things i've been so passionate about get removed. Disney doesn't seem to care that they are removing the experiences that are responsible for that passion and the reason we keep coming back in the first place.

If given the choice of experiencing Walt Disney World today or 10 years ago i'm going to pick the Disney experience of 10 years ago every time. The so called additions of the past decade don't wow me and certainly are not worth the increased cost of a Disney Vacation. The subtractions are far more significant than the additions. It's sad to see the things i've been so passionate about get removed. Disney doesn't seem to care that they are removing the experiences that are responsible for that passion and the reason we keep coming back in the first place.

I agree, and I'm really almost to the breaking point over it. My favorite theme park growing up was Epcot Center because it instilled so much wonder in me. Now everything is so watered down, corporate, or otherwise changed completely that I feel like they should just rename the park at this point.

If they put that Frozen attraction in place of The Maelstrom I think I honestly might be done with Walt Disney World.

Sleepy Hollow at MK's caramel corn. Only ever had it on our first trip in 2003- and by the time I remembered they ever sold it it had gone :(

Shame, Disney popcorn is awesome.

Also the rarer characters coming out. I met Prince John and Gideon from Pinocchio on our first trip- bet you can't see them anymore!

I got kissed by Prince John in 2004!

I miss the characters being more free-roaming. You used to be able to go up to the characters and get an autograph and a photo, but now you have fast past lines, and lines and staged photos, and the photopass... just so much stuff!!!

Unfortunately, people these days just can't behave properly. And so we're stuck with the lines.

Originally Posted by Hibernians
here's one - I miss the nice open space in Adventure Land that came to be Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride - I have always felt that this attraction was not necessary and it diminished the appeal of the area with the increased foot traffic and lack of open space. I remember sitting there and enjoying a snack/ beverage while the family was in the Enchanted Tiki Room; that whole vibe is gone now.

Adventureland just isn't a coordinated whole any more with the Aladdin stuff shoehorned in. We didn't need another spinner except to take some of the load off of Dumbo and in the end, the carpets did not accomplish that. As it is, the Jungle Cruise's time has come and gone and aladdin has run its course. That whole area can be reworked.

I miss Spectromagic and Tapestry of Nation. Both of those parades are my favorite. I also miss Mickey and Minnie's house and the hydrolators at The Living Seas.

Hands down, Main Street Bakery.
yes yes yes yes yes --- our family tradition was to wake up at 6 am on Day 1 -- go to Magic Kingdom for the Rope Drop and then head to the Main Street Bakery and each get a Cinnamon bun and sit outside the doors and watch the citizens of Main street. no more no more :(

About a million years ago, before the dining plan, you used to make dining reservations at a monitor in the parks. I remember an area by Spaceship Earth with several of these monitors, each one with a CM on the screen to take your dinner reservation. You almost always got the restaurant and time you wanted. Also the Gourmet Pantry, back when DTD was Disney Village. And of course the oft-mentioned Horizons and world of Motion :(

I don't really have a hatred for the dining plan.. or the removal of Alien Encounters.. my DH still talks about 20,000 Leagues.

My list agrees with most of the PPs though--

Mr. Toad-- LOVED IT
Mickey and Minnie's houses-- I think Disney Studios should have it's own Toon Town
Camp Minnie and Mickey in AK
Disney Studios parade I really liked.

Main Street Bakery. The REAL MSB. This one still boggles the mind to me... WHY take one of the most iconic, beloved,always full of people, parts of Disney and remove it/ ruin it? they could have put that Starbucks anywhere, but it had to replace MSB???

I really miss the smells from there and the yummy treats, the morning breaks we always took there. It's awful now. Packed, slow, not magical at all. When my Dsis and I were there in the fall, it was the longest line/ wait of the whole trip!

I also still really miss If You Had wings.

One of my favorite ways to enjoy an afternoon snack was MSB. I refuse to step foot in Starbucks. Who wants overpriced, burnt coffee and a pastry that was made a week ago?

I miss the creativity...

The new rides are nice, as are the new thought of areas, but there seems to be a lack of creativity.

It seems like everything is now designed to get the most $$ out of you instead of making something that will WOW you.

Maybe i miss the small little arcade they had at the main street cinema...or the smell of freshly baked cookies at the bakery...or the time where i my family can sit while i grabbed lunch...or the skyride...or the many spots in epcot that were engineering marvels.

Small interactions were key to the experience...push the trash can, the walking dino in AK, Remy, the live performances around Epcot...all no more.

Only read the first 4 pages of this thread, but does anybody remember the Catwalk Bar? It used to be the best place to have a quiet lunch brought up from the Brown Derby.

Besides that I would have to say The Adventurers Club hands down.

Wow is my signature Outdated!

I have numerous things I miss too. The top of the list: The Jessica Rabbit sign that was at the entrance to Pleasure Island (her leg would swing!)

Also

20,000 Leagues
A REAL animation studio -- I remember seeing Mulan being drawn also The Lion King.
A real backlot tour
Riding in front of the MONORAIL.

So many of you have brought back other wonderful memories. I always have a good trip there, but miss many things.

I'm still bummed about the original Figment ride. I got to ride the first version once as a kid before they kind of ruined it. I mean, I do love Eric Idle, but... Bring back Dreamfinder. And a high-level ride. The current version, compared to the first, feels kind of cheap.

Pleasure Island! I have so many great memories of that place. It added to the diversity of all that Disney had to offer. I get all sad and nostalgic when I walk thru that area now. Such a shame.

The Alien Encounter attraction in Tomorrowland is another one that's highly missed. Stitch's Great Escape is a joke in comparison.

Other mentions: DreamFlight, the "old" Test Track, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and the old Figment attraction from way back when.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter