What has happened to these cookies?

Haven’t made an icebox cake in a long time, but they are usually on the top shelf in our grocery stores. Now you are making me want to make sure one.
They are on the top shhelf in the cookie aisle at our store. I saw them shopping tonight.

I haven’t made this in a few years, but now I want to make it! I make it in a round springform pan and spread the wafer cookies out in a single layer, standing a row on the sides (outside). Then alternate layers of cookies and whipped cream. It was one of our favourites, but we don’t make big desserts as much any more. I might even make it for Christmas if I can find the cookies.

They were in my local ShopRite when I was shopping today. That size box was $4.29.

And these cookies are much thinner than Oreo cookies.

Icebox cake in my family was layered graham crackers with pudding, that way we could change up the flavor. Or vanilla wafers, banana slices and pudding when Mom felt like it.

That's how my sister made it a few years ago. It was so good!

Then couldn't the OP just buy Oreos and scrap off the filling once she opens them up?
Yeah, as others have said, the size would be off. But I suppose you could get creative. I think the choc grahams would be easier that way. Looking at recipes for icebox cakes, there are lots of ways you can do them.

I have never actually tried it, but now I might make one. Does anyone ever use cool whip instead of making your own whipped cream? I might just make one for the kids and their friends home from college - they'll eat anything! :laughing:

I haven't looked for them in years. I used to use them for pie crusts.....ground up.
Best was Oreo cheesecake.
I will have to see if my stores still have them

Thanks so much for starting this post! I use these same cookies to make brandy balls and couldn't find them anywhere this year. I ended up using Archway Dutch Cocoa cookies. The difference is that the Archway cookies have tiny chocolate chips that I needed to sift out after I ground the cookies down to dust.

If this is a production problem I'm hoping I will be able to find them next year!

Best was Oreo cheesecake.
:love:

My mom made the icebox cake several times a year when I was a kid. I remember them well. :cloud9: Those chocolate wafers have the best taste. I may have to try and pick some up and make my first ever icebox cake for the grandkids........and me.

They were in my local ShopRite when I was shopping today. That size box was $4.29.

I found them in Roche Bros. as well - like others mentioned, they were kind of "hiding" high up.

My family called it Zebra cake and it was one my grandpa's fav desserts with my mom the one who typically made it. Come to think of it though my mom hasn't made it in ages. It's honestly probably been since my grandfather died . To that end I actually have no idea where they would be located at and what stores sell the wafer cookies thesedays. This thread just brought back a whole ton of good, though bittersweet memories :)

I came back to post the same thing, as I looked for them today and they were at Shop Rite, but they were $4.99!

Just got back from the grocery store (Wegman's). They had plenty of them. Top shelf and kind of above the Nilla Wafers. They were $4.99. Last night I was in Food Lion, which I hardly ever go to, and they didn't have them at all but I am not sure that they'd ever sold them.

So I picked up a box and decided to whip this up today as I've never tried it. What I like about it is, that as desserts go, this one's not very sweet or overbearing. The wafers themselves aren't very sweet and the whipping cream and vanilla is not sweet. So a good dessert for those that don't like things too sweet. I noticed that the Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) has her own version of this. Her recipe uses almost twice the amount of cream and adds 1 cup of confectioners sugar. Also made in a Springform pan but it's basically the same recipe.

Someone asked upthread if you could make this using cool whip. I'd say yes as long as the Cool Whip was really stiff enough. But not sure why you'd do that because the whipped cream was easy to make and the whole dessert would be much less cloyingly sweet without the Cool Whip.

Just got back from the grocery store (Wegman's). They had plenty of them. Top shelf and kind of above the Nilla Wafers. They were $4.99. Last night I was in Food Lion, which I hardly ever go to, and they didn't have them at all but I am not sure that they'd ever sold them.

So I picked up a box and decided to whip this up today as I've never tried it. What I like about it is, that as desserts go, this one's not very sweet or overbearing. The wafers themselves aren't very sweet and the whipping cream and vanilla is not sweet. So a good dessert for those that don't like things too sweet. I noticed that the Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) has her own version of this. Her recipe uses almost twice the amount of cream and adds 1 cup of confectioners sugar. Also made in a Springform pan but it's basically the same recipe.

Someone asked upthread if you could make this using cool whip. I'd say yes as long as the Cool Whip was really stiff enough. But not sure why you'd do that because the whipped cream was easy to make and the whole dessert would be much less cloyingly sweet without the Cool Whip.
I asked about the Cool Whip. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it, but thinking of a few things. Some people don't readily have a mixer available. Some people couldn't be bothered. And some don't have time. I just wondered, if it was something one wanted to whip up quickly, if it would suffice and whether anyone had tried doing it that way.

I asked about the Cool Whip. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it, but thinking of a few things. Some people don't readily have a mixer available. Some people couldn't be bothered. And some don't have time. I just wondered, if it was something one wanted to whip up quickly, if it would suffice and whether anyone had tried doing it that way.

I'm thinking you could. But I'm going to eat this dessert tonight and see how the whipped cream might change the consistency of the wafers inside. I get that "some people couldn't be bothered." That's how I felt when I read that I had to whip up some cream.o_O Uggghhh, I thought. It's been years since I've done it. Then I did it in about 4 minutes this morning and I thought I should do it more often. It really is super easy and makes a superior product!

I think the only issue with Cool Whip would be whether it has enough moisture content to adequately soak into the wafers. I'd love to hear back if someone tries it!

OMG, my family loves this ice box cake! I’ve been eating it all my life and we always have it on Christmas as well.

I saw the cookies in my local supermarket only a few days ago. However, in recent years, there have been times that I’ve had to shop around in several stores to find them. FYI, in some stores they are not stocked in the cookie aisle, but near the ice cream with the cones.

I sure hope Nabisco never stops making them. They discontinued Zwieback years ago and I miss using them for my favorite cheesecake recipe.

Last edited:
Hi, Original poster here. Sorry I wasn't able to come back to this thread any sooner than tonight but it was a busy weekend. Anyway, I had told my friend about my problem locating these cookies and lo and behold she texted me a picture from Stop & Shop on Saturday afternoon and sure enough the cookies were there. I know I looked for them when I was at Stop & Shop but either I didn't see them or maybe they just got the shipment in. Anyway, she got me 2 boxes. So I just need to get the heavy cream and the vanilla extract and I'm set.

I was so touched to see how many had replied to me and also to read that it brought back memories for some of you. Also, some said they would try this cake for the first time after reading the thread. I can't believe that I got so many responses about these cookies. Made me feel good!
Thank you all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter