• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What have you done a complete flip on

From voting against gay marriage in Michigan several years ago to “live and let live” for everyone. I was so against gay people, but then started thinking that maybe my selfish views were just like back in the 50’s and 60’s where people were so against mixed marriages. I saw nothing wrong with mixed marriages, and didn’t understand why some were so against it. So, same thing for gay marriages. Not my place to judge. Live and let live.

This was me, sort of. I was never really "against" them, I just didn't know anyone that I knew was gay and I honestly didn't really understand the concept. And for a long time, I believed that one little passage in the Book said "it all". But as I have aged, and met a plethora of people in the process, I have gained some understanding and realize that one sentence out of a whole book isn't something that hate should ever, ever be based on. Especially when there are other passages that tell us to do the complete opposite.

This was me, sort of. I was never really "against" them, I just didn't know anyone that I knew was gay and I honestly didn't really understand the concept. And for a long time, I believed that one little passage in the Book said "it all". But as I have aged, and met a plethora of people in the process, I have gained some understanding and realize that one sentence out of a whole book isn't something that hate should ever, ever be based on. Especially when there are other passages that tell us to do the complete opposite.

I will always regret voting against the gay marriage proposal, always. We don’t have any close friends that are gay, but I did work with a young man who I later found out was gay. He was such a kind, sweet, compassionate person, who was I to judge him? Then I found out one of our long time friends have a daughter who is gay. I’ve known her about 30 years. And then there are the Beekman Boys. The winners of season 21 of Amazing Race. They had a TV show and I watched and enjoyed every episode. They have done wonders for small farms. I was able to meet them once and they are so sweet and kind. They are the ones who really helped to change my views on gay marriage.

Trans people and bathrooms. I have a friend at work who used to be Beth and is now Brian. I was totally against trans people using the "wrong" bathroom. Brian and I were at lunch and he said that bathrooms were the worst part of the whole trans experience so far. He was supposed to use the female bathroom as he was born in a female body, but I took one look at his full beard and beer belly and busted up laughing. If he walked into the women's restroom, security would definitely be called! That's when it finally sunk in that it's not as black and white as I had first thought. I felt badly for having such a closed mind and not considering any other opinion but my own.

growing up in a hard-core Italian neighborhood in Chicago in the 70's - we didn't get much interaction with black people. I never hated black people, its just that their community wasn't part of mine. Fast forward to about 10 years ago to the same neighborhood (we never leave) and my kids have friends of all race, religions and orientations

Some days I look at my dinner table and smile and think.... "who would have thunk it"

Last edited:
Trans people and bathrooms. I have a friend at work who used to be Beth and is now Brian. I was totally against trans people using the "wrong" bathroom. Brian and I were at lunch and he said that bathrooms were the worst part of the whole trans experience so far. He was supposed to use the female bathroom as he was born in a female body, but I took one look at his full beard and beer belly and busted up laughing. If he walked into the women's restroom, security would definitely be called! That's when it finally sunk in that it's not as black and white as I had first thought. I felt badly for having such a closed mind and not considering any other opinion but my own.

I still have trouble wrapping my brain around someone being transgender, but thinking about my about-face with gay people I’m really trying to work on that.

I still have trouble wrapping my brain around someone being transgender, but thinking about my about-face with gay people I’m really trying to work on that.
Something. Gay people are born with brains that attract them to the same sex. Trans people are born with brains that make then feel/be the opposite sex of their birth.

And where will you go when (not if) Florida does something that gets your knickers in a twist?
Nonsense. Georgia and a few other states changed direction and radically in a very short period of time. That could happen anywhere, of course, but there is no reason to think it'll happen anywhere else.

Regardless, it isn't why we're leaving Georgia. I just said that I've gone from someone proud to be Georgian to someone looking very much forward to being a Floridian soon. So if it eventually happens in Florida, then I'll be ashamed for my state then just like I'm ashamed for my state now.

Plastic Surgery. It's not that I was totally against it but I always thought it wasn't for me or just for the rich and famous hollywood types. Now that I am in my 40's and nature is taking it's course, I have gotten a few injections of Botox and filler in my lips, and I really like the results, so much so that I am considering getting an actual surgical procedure. I don't want to become Joan Rivers, but I really do think I want to look as good as I can for as long as I can :)

I was raised to believe that it was fine to have different viewpoints but wrong to try to force them on others. In other words, if it's not my business and harms no one then I have no right to push my beliefs on others.

It took a while but I finally realized that many others don't think like this. So I decided that I would have to be involved in some capacity.

And yes, I realize that minding my own business is a belief too.

This is a very interesting thread! I’ve changed a lot over the years. I used to be very sentimental, loving/caring, compassionate, believing that family is everything, and I was 100% loyal to Christ and the church. I was happy.

Circumstances in the past two years have changed me. I’ve become hardened and jaded, and so mad at God I’m not sure about faith anymore. Faith and trust seem to have made everything worse for me. I’m a totally different person than I once was.

On a (much) lighter note, I used to enjoy a good steak once in a while. Now I’m a vegetarian.

From voting against gay marriage in Michigan several years ago to “live and let live” for everyone. I was so against gay people, but then started thinking that maybe my selfish views were just like back in the 50’s and 60’s where people were so against mixed marriages. I saw nothing wrong with mixed marriages, and didn’t understand why some were so against it. So, same thing for gay marriages. Not my place to judge. Live and let live.
Good for you!!!

Another good Catholic boy freed from the bonds of parental indoctrination begun at birth to thinking on my own without a deity. Improved stress free, self aware, taking full responsibility for all actions and results life.

I am almost the opposite :) Though I always believed, I went from believing that all I needed was me and God to becoming a pretty devout Catholic and loving everything that goes with it :):)

I used to hate coffee, now it's a daily drink.

Another good Catholic boy freed from the bonds of parental indoctrination begun at birth to thinking on my own without a deity. Improved stress free, self aware, taking full responsibility for all actions and results life.
I may not know a lot of Catholics, but it's amazing how many ex-Catholics I know.

I went from being agnostic/ completely disinterested in religion to becoming a Christian at the age of 32. It has been 15 years now and I’m still thrilled that the Lord crashed into my life and saved me!
I have to admit to heading that way myself, I have nieces and nephew who were brought up atheist yet became Christian so I am heading to my local church this weekend to start learning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter