What have you done the past 24 hrs to prepare for the 'just in case'?

wovenwonder

DIS Veteran
I was watching the news and was surprised that so many people were taking these warnings and recommendations seriously --- and stocking up on plastic, duct tape, batteries, flashlights, water, and food.

I always have lots of food on hand -- but as of last night I have even more;) . I went and picked up a cartful of extra goodies. I even made a kit for my car with food and water. We haven't picked up the plastic and duct tape yet (but still might). I have batteries and flashlights etc on hand but I plan to get everything in one area today so it is easily accesible if we need it.

So -- have you taken any measures yet -- or do you plan on taking any within the next day or so?

Actually, just the thought of all this is making me physically ill. My stomach is killing me. Does anyone else feel this way? I was trying to avoid the issues by not reading the news or watching any of it. But now, it seems, it is all over the place (even my Disboards).

I guess as a Mother, I should stock up on food (we usually are bare by Thursdays since Fridays I shop), bottled water, etc...

BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO DO THIS....

Do you think this is all real?

I always have plenty of food on hand too. The only thing I will probably do is buy extra milk and keep my gas tank full.

I have much of what is recommended, going out today to finish.

I have done nothing to prepare and I most likely will not.

Tamie

All I've done is read about how others are getting ready. :p

We don't have plans to do anything out of the ordinary and I don't imagine that will change.

Nothing...I'm preparing for dds K party on Fri. and getting DH gift & kids a little something for VD, plus all my reg. chores.

I might take a trip into Sams Club...we will see...

Nothing yet. I know I'll get a few things extra at the store though.

Nothing. DH thinks this is all silly and refuses to pay any attention to it. He laughed at the plastic/duct tape suggestion. I will probably go out tonight or tomorrow and get some batteries for the radio in case the power goes out. Other than that.....probably nothing.

Other than the plastic sheeting... these are things we ALWAYS do anyway - because we live in a remote rural area and you should always have emergency provisions on hand in the event of extreme weather or extended power outages.

I think this is extremely stressful to have this being discussed so much in the press. I need to talk with my DD and see how she is coping with all this. I am sure this is frightening our children.

Not a thing. Don't plan to either. Our local news station solicited emails from viewers to ask them what they are doing. One reply told everyone to "keep on livin' until you die". Sounds like a plan to me.

Same here Towncrier....keep on keeping on.

We aren't stockpiling anything, and don't plan to.

And about the plastic sheeting and duct tape.....give me a break.

In the event of a 'dirty bomb' that plastic sheeting isn't going to do squat, except maybe give you an extra 5 minutes of normal life. Radiation is going to get through no matter what.

As far as anthrax/small pox...it would be in the air. Water, soil, etc. is all going to get contaminated. So why bother with the plastic sheeting? What a false sense of security. :mad:

I'm not doing anything either. Not saying I won't, just that I haven't yet.

Absolutely nothing. . .duct tape and plastic will be of little help, if any--I've got food a plenty AND a nonelectric can opener, a battery radio and batteries, loads of candles, flashlights, and an oil lamp or two. I don't know where you'd run if an event that catastropic occurred. . .so, why bother with "car supplies".

i think it's wierd that everyone here is saying the duct tape and plastic won't help. if it won't help why are the red cross and experts not affiliated with the government advocating it? i talked to a terrorism expert that i work with yesterday and he explained to me exactly the reasons and for what kinds of things it would help with. it made sense to me. no one is saying if there is a nuclear attack that the plastic and duct tape will help; it's just for biological and chemical agents.

anyways, to answer the original question, we reviewed the plans we have had in place since 9/11, and i checked o make sure we have everything in our kit that we;ve had for the past year and a 1/2. almost everyone i know in washington is taking this pretty seriously since the government has come out and said that from what they have heard it seems like nyc and dc will be targets. if i lived in the middle of nowhere, i probably wouldn't be as concerned about it, but 9/11 was very real for me and a lot of my friends here. we couldn't get money form the atms, couldn't get in touch with our loved ones, couldn't get home. if i hadn't experienced that, i probably wouldn't be doing anything right now. what's the harm in keeping some food and water and supplies in our bedroom closet just in case though? if something happens here, which i am sure it will at some point in the future, i'll be glad i took the time to prepare. if i don't, who knows, maybe my last thought will be regret for not taking it seriously.

better safe than sorry, imho.

I guess they're thinking there would be thousands of people driving like hell to get out of dodge...or to be with a family member.

On the east coast I95 is a nightmare on a normal day....in the event of the unthinkable, you can forget about getting anywhere fast.

I agree with Dixie Dreamer, being out in "no mans land" as I call it :p, we would have these things anyway and we always have plenty of food and water on hand here...This house we live in was built in 1916 and downstairs in the cellar, there is what was once a Bomb Shelter, it even has a toilet like the kind on an airplane! :p Anyway, we keep all our extra stuff here and stuff we would need "just in case"...of course, our Christmas Tree is sitting in the middle of it all down there, so maybe I might move that out today! ;):p

I like John's (Towncrier) response. I can't go on living in panic or concern, life is hard enough. I've NEVER lived like nothing was ever going to happen, this makes it no different. Growing up in the mean streets makes you take everything that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter