What have you done the past 24 hrs to prepare for the 'just in case'?

I prayed!

Just like everyday.. really, I just live my life just as it is.. No sense being paranoid, and living under a rock...

If I die, I die!

I still have all my Y2K provisions. I have some plastic and always have duct tape!

From what I've read, the plastic and duct tape are only for chemical and biological attacks. You seal up one room as fast as possible and stay in that sealed room until it's safe to come out.

I'm prepared, but will continue to pray I will never use any of it.

I think I will make sure I have some things on hand in case of "anything". Batteries, flashlights and radio will be put together so I can find them if needed. I always have plenty of canned goods and water on hand. I will hope and pray that none of this is ever needed but I will say the whole thing has me on edge.

We are supposed to get a big snow storm this weekend & we are having out of town compnay. So I will have all of that stuff - except the plastic anyway. My house is made of cinderblock & 3/4 of the "basement" walls are exposed - so I don't know what good covering the doors & windows will do. As for car supplies, I have been meaning to put some bottled water in the car & may a box of crackers - not to make an escape but in the event we get stranded. (We have to drive up a mountain to get to our house - there are two 90degree turns on that mountain. )

I am thinking of giving DH some plastic for valentine's day. He's very practical & doesn't want or expect a gift. I am sure he has more duct tape than any hardware store in our area at this point.

nothing. we normally have food around. there is always a threat but just because the gov't says something everyone suddenly goes nuts. it doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

We usually keep extra drinking water and stuff on hand because when we lose power we don't have water. I think most of the things that have been suggested are just common sense things to have in a home anyway.

My worst fear is not for myself or my husband but for DD who is in college very far from home.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm taking the threats very seriously this time. If it was just a few "talking heads" on CNN - maybe former weapons inspectors or whatever - saying they thought the threat was real, I might discount it. But when the head of the CIA gets on national television and says it - I have to believe it's true. I went out and bought a few extra batteries, we have enough canned food and candles to get through (always keep some due to possible extreme weather here). As for the plastic, I imagine we have some in our garage, DH always has that kind of junk laying around.

My biggest fear is something happening when all of us are separated - me here, DD at school, DH at work. That bothers me most of all.

Whatever you choose to do, as long as it makes you feel better, I say do it. Everyone must deal with this in their own way. :D

I have done nothing and I don't plan on doing anything. Living in So Cal we always have earthquake kits handy and that's as much preparation as I plan to do.

Originally posted by grinningghost
... If it was just a few "talking heads" on CNN - maybe former weapons inspectors or whatever - saying they thought the threat was real, I might discount it. But when the head of the CIA gets on national television and says it - I have to believe it's true...

But I have a copy of Y2K preparedness information from the National Red Cross. They must have thought that it was a real threat at that time. I am pretty sure that Alan Greenspan- and many other very intelligent people - said that Y2K was a very real danger. And you see what happened there - NOTHING.

I guess I tend to have a stick-my-head-in-the-sand mentality. I would rather not think about it. I think that we will have to live like this for foreseeable future. I don't think that I can live every day in fear that something will happen.

I heard someone on the radio yesterday talk about how those in Israel live like this every day of their lives. It is what you are used to...

I'm not sure what to think. I did get extra baby supplies & water, just in case we get a "run" on our local grocery store. We live in a small, rural community and the shelves can clear out fast. Like most of you, I also have a supply of batteries & food on hand.

We don't have an interior room that can be sealed, either. Just a small bathroom. Not good for 4 people plus a baby.

We live 5 miles from a very active Reserve Air Force Base, so everybody here is a bit on edge. We would like to think that the terrorists would not be able to move around in our community without being spotted, especially so far into the heartland of America but you never know. Heck, you can't go anywhere around here without meeting a couple of folks that you know on a first-name basis!

I will, though, keep my gas tanks filled. Never know when we might need to boogie outta here......

But I have a copy of Y2K preparedness information from the National Red Cross. They must have thought that it was a real threat at that time. I am pretty sure that Alan Greenspan- and many other very intelligent people - said that Y2K was a very real danger. And you see what happened there - NOTHING.

the day before 9/11 if you had told me what was going to happen, i would have called you crazy.

where i live anyways, the threat is real, and i intend to prepare for it.

Absolutely nothing. I refuse to let these terrorists dictate how I'm going to live my life! I hug and kiss my daughters each night and say prayers with my oldest and that's all I need. I saw a lady at a local grocery sepnd $48 for duct tape and plastic bags yesterday. :eek: I just don't get these news agancies, it seems like everytime they report stuff like this, they send people into a panic!

Yes caity, you MUST do what makes you feel secure!
As I said, *I* tend to have - good or bad, right or wrong - an ostrich mentality.

Just a question - (I'm really not being sarcastic here, this is an honest question) where are we supposed to go if we have to evacuate? Where could they possibly tell all of us to go that would be safer than our own homes? I guess I don't get the safety kit for your car thing.

Tamie

Where could they possibly tell all of us to go that would be safer than our own homes?

i have a sneaking suspicion that my parents house in the middle of nowhere would be (and is) safer than our apartment in teh suburbs of dc. ;)

as for a car kit. honestly, i have had a first aid kit, blankets, water, etc. in my car since i got it (way before 9/11). i was in a near-fatal accident in the middle of western new york when i was younger in a blizzard. having that kind of stuff in your car to me anyways, is just common sense, terrorism or not. :)

I am praying.

And I am also going to Disney World for the weekend....

Good point, tkyes.

If I lived in DC, NYC, or some other metro area/possible target, I would definitely have an escape plan.

Actually, I live where most people would escape to.

Wanna plan a DISmeet at my place in the event of something horrible?!?!?! Look for the house with the lime green flag and the smell of pot roast & chocolate chip cookies. No, wait, I can't allow an air exchange so you will have to smell it all when you get here. Just a little (very little!) tongue-in-cheek humor in a dismal conversation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter