What have you done the past 24 hrs to prepare for the 'just in case'?

After reading the emergency supplies list, I picked up some bottled water and D batteries at Sam's Club. I also topped off my gas tank at Sam's for $1.54 per gallon, cuz everywhere else it had jumped to $1.74 per gallon.

Nothing

I am not going to let anyone scare me and take away my life. :D

These are things we have on hand anyway. Couldn't possibly live without duct tape in my house!!! Dh uses it for everything. We always have extra water, can goods and such in case of power outages. My brother gave us this wind-up or solar powered radio that' very handy. I did scope out the best room, just in case. Of course it is the room with my computer!!!! But, and this is a huge but, I refuse to stop living my life the way I'm used to. Nope, not going to do it. Don't care what any ol' terrorist may say.

After the 9/11 attack I was nervous, but not too nervous not to fly to WDW that October. This time though, I am really scared. I usually don't let the news reports bother me, but I had a sick feelling in my stomach this morning while listening to the news while getting ready for work. Two of my children live with their dad, and while they are 17 & 21, the thoughts of my not knowing where they were if anything happened really bothers me. MY DH travels quite a bit, and his territory is the Mid-Atlantic states, including NY, Philadelphia & Washington DC, three of the major cities in most danger. I have to force myself not to think about it. We did agree though that we were going to be prepared as much as we could should anything happen. I don't know how much good it would do us, but psychologically maybe it will make us feel a little better. We're scheduled to fly to Disney in four weeks, and God willing, we're going. I'll take the precautions recommended, but I'm still going to live my life.

Already had everything but the food and water, so I took care of that on my way home last night..

Guess DH and I might be better off than some if the unthinkable happened - we have 12 portable oxygen tanks sitting in the bedroom in the event that our power ever goes out and his oxygen concentrator shut down.. 'Course considering the weather here in NY we could easily FREEZE to death, but that's a whole 'nother story..

Just curious - anyone know if any of these chemical or biological attacks would be less deadly when released into extremely cold air?

I'm like CaityCaity, being in NYC, people I work with are taking it serious and are nervous. I particularly worry about dropping my DD off to school in one borough, getting on a subway to go to work in the most concentrated media area of NY (Rockefeller Center), going into my office on the 46th Floor and praying I'll be able to get back to her and they won't shut the subways and bridges again.
We've got food, extra water, emergency lanterns and flashlights, plastic sheeting, and always have duct tape. To me, it's sort of like always carrying around some Benadryl in case anyone close to me has a sudden allergic reaction (which has happened) - I hope I never need it, but have it just in case.

I haven't done anything too special, but if it goes to a Code Red I will! I went shopping because my cupboards were totally empty. This is the time of year when I always use up whatever I have before I replenish...so I'm stocking up this week, but that would have been done anyway. My house is old and drafty< I don't think I could seal it up tight enough! I will get batteries and I'm charging my cell phone as I type this, but that's because I'm having surgery tomorrow.

I'm just trying to keep life as normal as possible for my kids.

And Chernabog....I know where Tonawanda is...I live in Kenmore!!!

I dont know who posted this earlier (sorry) but I really thought it was full of good information its been checked out at Snopes and while they dont neccesarily agree with everything he says they defer to his experience for the most part.

http://www.patriotsherald.com/content/attacks.php

I think we all need to put things in perscpective, of course I live in Idaho, its a lot easier for me to say than if I lived in a more likely target area but the odds are still in your favour that you will survive.

Please dont take that as being harsh at all. I dont mean it that way!! I just mean that maybe we should take a deep breath and sort out what the Media is telling us, its so easy to jump on the panic wagon.

Have I done anything to prepare?

Not really, I picked up some extra batteries for the flashlights in case we lose power for awhile. Thats all I did though. The Power is the first thing to go around here anyway.

But I have a copy of Y2K preparedness information from the National Red Cross. They must have thought that it was a real threat at that time. I am pretty sure that Alan Greenspan- and many other very intelligent people - said that Y2K was a very real danger. And you see what happened there - NOTHING.

See, this statement makes NO sense to me. We KNEW what day 1/1 would happen on. We KNEW that computer date related problems existed. We, as a country, spent close to 1.5 to 2 yrs preparing for 1/1 by FIXING our computers & programs.

BUT, just in case, they didn't get all the problems fixed....people prepared. And do your remember????? ....there WERE problems on 1/1. Not as many as there COULD have been. But there were still some problems.

So, preparations (like fixing computers) DID help.
I would like to think that my DH's HOURS & HOURS & HOURS of preparation (computer work) was not a waste. :)

NOW.....THIS situation is entirely different than Y2K. This is not a computer we are dealing with. Something that can be re-programmed. This is SICK THINKING PEOPLE. Tell me.... HOW DO YOU RE-PROGRAM THEM?????

With all that said..... I have made my list. Need to pick up a few things tomorrow only because I'm out of groceries anyway & we are getting snow this weekend & I too have company coming.

I dont know who posted this earlier (sorry) but I really thought it was full of good information its been checked out at Snopes and while they dont neccesarily agree with everything he says they defer to his experience for the most part.

http://www.patriotsherald.com/content/attacks.php

I think we all need to put things in perscpective, of course I live in Idaho, its a lot easier for me to say than if I lived in a more likely target area but the odds are still in your favour that you will survive.

Please dont take that as being harsh at all. I dont mean it that way!! I just mean that maybe we should take a deep breath and sort out what the Media is telling us, its so easy to jump on the panic wagon.

Have I done anything to prepare?

Not really, I picked up some extra batteries for the flashlights in case we lose power for awhile. Thats all I did though. The Power is the first thing to go around here anyway.

Hey, if duct tape and plastic sheeting is all it takes to protect against the much bally-hooed "weapons of mass destruction." maybe we don't have THAT much to worry about????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter