What is Ft. Lauderdale like during spring break?

JonIND

Earning My Ears
We (two parents and a teenage boy) just booked a 5-night Western Caribbean cruse on the Dream, departing from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale on March 15, 2025 at the beginning of our spring break week next year. The cruise returns on Thursday the 20th, and I'm trying to figure out what we might do in Florida for a few days before returning home on Saturday or Sunday.

Does anyone have a sense of how crazy Fort Lauderdale is these days with college students at spring break? I've read that it's gotten worse this year with Miami Beach cracking down on spring breakers. Would we be better finding somewhere else to stay following the cruise? Any recommendations for more family-oriented beach locations on the Atlantic coast?

We could always drive or take the Brightline up to Orlando, but we're a bit theme parked out given other recent vacations.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice! Looking forward to this cruise, as the Dream will be new to us (we've previously sailed on the Magic, Wonder, and Fantasy).

Let your son experience spring break in Fort Lauderdale when he's in college. I would recommend somewhere else if you need to avoid the 18+ scene.

Maybe Vero Beach?

We’re staying in Pompano Beach pre-cruise next month with our two teens. It’s about 16 miles from the cruise port. It seems a bit more family oriented. Hollywood Beach may be a good option as well. It’s between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

Ft Lauderdale has been notorious for Spring Break as long as I can remember. Both Miami’s South Beach and Ft Lauderdale have been in the national news again this Spring. As Miami becomes less attractive to partygoers, Ft Lauderdale could easily take up the slack.

good luck! You are a braver soul than I am.

We are driving to Key West and making a few pit stops along the way after our Spring Break cruise next year😎

It's absolutely HORRIFYING. We accidentally ended up in the middle of it the night before a cruise some years back. Never ever ever again. We got almost zero sleep. So loud. It was a party all night long outside our hotel.

It's avoidable. There are oodles of hotels, restaurants and other businesses in Fort Lauderdale that do not allow spring breakers (usually require 25+ to check in around March). Nor is DCL likely to attract a spring break crowd.

Stay at Dania pointe there are a bunch of hotels there and a nice outdoor shopping entertainment area. It’s right by the airport and the port. I live here and as long you avoid the beach and A1A spring breakers are not an issue. Boat show time of year in Ft. Lauderdale can be just as bad, along with prom/homecoming season with the hotels being packed. Go out to the Everglades instead of the beach which you will get to experience on your ship excursions. Hollywood beach is a bit quieter and has a nice boardwalk, but I wouldn’t pick a beachfront hotel to stay at if you want quiet. You can also stay at the Hard rock guitar hotel in Hollywood, it’s also not too far from the port and airport.

We just cruised out of Fort Lauderdale over spring break and found it to be peaceful. We weren't at the beaches, though.

Pompano Beach and Boca Raton are going to be a bit quieter and less party-central. The more luxurious resorts are also a bit quieter. I had a conference in Key West in 2022 and Miami last year during spring break and while there were areas with lots of craziness happening, The resort area where I stayed was very low-key and quiet. I stayed at Casa Marina in Key West and the Boca Raton Beach Club.

We’re staying in Pompano Beach pre-cruise next month with our two teens. It’s about 16 miles from the cruise port. It seems a bit more family oriented. Hollywood Beach may be a good option as well. It’s between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.
Agreed. We have stayed in Pompano Beach twice now with kids under 5. Very family friendly, walkable to beaches and restaurants. Not a party scene. We were just there this spring break to visit the beach with no issues. Look at the Home2Suites.

Also take a look at the Marriott Harbor Beach & Spa in Fort Lauderdale. They have a private beach and are right by the cruise terminal. We were there this spring break with my 2 kids (7 and 9) and we had an amazing time. We could watch the cruise ships depart from our balcony and the beach. It's a beautiful hotel and one of the only ones in Fort Lauderdale with direct beach access. But book early! The prices escalate during March for Spring Break. I'll second Pompano as an alternative. Also a great beach with several hotel options.

Check out the Barefoot vlogger on YouTube, he has done videos of spring break in Fort Lauderdale and Miami Beach.

I would avoid Fort Lauderdale - especially at that time of year....

If you can handle the two hour drive - Disney's Vero Beach or Vero Beach in general (Kimpton, Costa D'Este, there is a Holiday Inn that has been re/de-flagged ) could be the way to go... Otherwise, I would look at staying somewhere in West Palm Beach or Boca Raton - both will be more appropriate for families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter