What is going on October 5-12, 2002

DisneyTJ

Earning My Ears
Most of codes seem to stop on October 3rd and start up again October 11th. Am I missing some big event going on the same week I plan on going. I thought the only big thing was the big IT convention. Maybe I am wrong. Even the codes on Disney's website exclude the week I am going. What UP!!!!!

Thanks for any information

I will be there the same time and was curious as well?

There are AP rates out for that week. We have one :) !

I, too was able to get AP rates for that week - but I do know (from work) that there is a very big conference (Gartner) at the Swan/Dolphin facilities (10/6-11) that probably tied up a lot of Epcot resort properties. This is the Information Technology industry's premier event for the year and reasonably affluent corporations (and up) are always in attendance.

Last year, you wouldn't have been able to get much, but I think 9/11 has affected this year's attendance.

I'm there the 10/5-13. We had codes, now we AP rates for the entire time...

The Ntl Assn of Convenience Stores has a citywide over those dates. Complicating this is another association, the Petroleum Equipment Institute, is also holding its convention concurrently. Here's their housing list:

https://www.cmrus.com/nacs_6q/hotel-list.asp

The Swan/Dolphin isn't listed as having a block for the show but IMHO somebody's got a block large enough there, that they don't need to open up packages & discounted rates to fill the hotel.

Hope this helps!! FYI, if you're ever looking for a convention try a website for a magazine call Trade Show Week; it has a seach engine for finding conventions.

http://www.tradeshowweek.com/index.asp?page=directory

:bounce:

I am not worried about getting a code since I have the BCV booked on points. I am just curious as to what is going on at WDW that they would not offer the codes on the WDW site at that time?

The WDW properties will be full when the town is busy even if a convention has it's exhibits and events at the convention centers in downtown Orlando. There's more demand for the rooms all over Orlando over those dates, so the discount codes aren't offered over those dates because the hotels don't need to discount the rates to fill the rooms.

A big citywide convention will fill rooms in the entire city, not just those hotels that have official blocks for the convention. For instance, during the CES convention, consumer electonic companies such as Sony, JVC, Kenwood, etc. will contract rooms all over the city here in Las Vegas, thus filling up more rooms that are outside of the convention blocks. Anyone travelling on leisure travel over those dates will find fewer rooms & higher rates to pick from. It's the same in any other city that's a convention destination.

:bounce:

I will be in WL over the week from 10/5 - 10/12 and got a code. Originally was booked for PO-R but the day after the codes were released PO-R was not available for that week. Went with WL because with the codes it was cheaper to go with WL than PO-R at rack rates. It may be that the moderates are booked up for this week so codes are no available for those.

Up until this year, our school had a fall break that fell during that week. We are from a suburb north of Dallas of about 200,000 people. Last year was our last fall break, the state of Texas forced us to changed our school start date to a later date in Aug so that eliminated our longer vacations during the year. Anyway, last year we went to WDW during our fall break and no kidding, every other family we met was from here. LOL! Maybe Disney saw that huge influx of families with kids during that week and thought it was a new trend! ;)

Mousesavers shows codes available to anyone as well as AP codes beginning on 10/3. The WDW website is not a very good one IMHO....it always seems so slow to have any new info..

Does anyone know when the Buick Open Golf Tournament is?

That might have something to do with it.

Just a thought......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter