What is one of your fondest childhood memories?

Forevermarypoppins

DIS Veteran
Breakoff from another thread. I recently described to my Adult children that grocery stores used to be about 1/10 the size they are now. (probably smaller yet) ONE flavor Cherrios, ONE size WonderBread, One kind of crackers SALTINES, ONE size,flavor OREo's etc. They couldn't grasp it completely.

One of my fondest childhood memories was being at my grandparents home. They lived right in the center of town. There was a mom and pop "grocery" store down the street and around the corner. It had either One or Two aisles. THAT WAS IT! And this is where my grandparents ( and uncles still living at home then) bought the food for the family every week. I loved being asked by grandpa to go get him a pack of smokes and tell them to put it on their "account" That was a stiff cardboard card in a box alphabetized with all the customer's names. Sometimes grandma would ask me get a loaf of bread or ask the butcher for a few pounds ox xxx.
I cherish those times!!

Special times with grandparents, priceless memories I know. :)

My grandparents lived on a small fishing lake about 90-miles north of where we lived when I was growing up and I spent a lot of time with them at their cottage. Grandma was a wonderful cook and no sooner was breakfast cleared away and she was starting to cook for lunch, then the same with supper. Always 3 big meals every day. Her house was immaculate and I have no idea when she found time for cleaning but she did. I loved watching "The Wonderful World of Disney" with them, and "The Lawrence Welk show", and "Michigan Outdoors" with Grandpa too. I loved going out fishing with Grandpa, and he never made me bait my own hook or take the fish off the line. Before they moved to a senior citizen apartment I was the one who took him out fishing for the last time. I was grown and married and a mom by that time. He smoked and had bad emphysema and could no longer row the boat himself, so I did that for him that day. I'll never forget that honor. When I was young Grandpa would let me "drive" the car. I sat on his lap and steered while he stepped on the gas and brakes. He made me a "horse" one time out of a sawhorse and decorated it up with a mop head, leather strap, saddle, etc. They were wonderful grandparents and I cherish the time I spent with them, and the memories.

At 11 years old my friends and I could bicycle 1 mile over to the local strip mall. There we would hit the dime store, drug store, then finish at Baskin Robbins for an ice cream cone. It wasn't a big deal, just a typical Saturday hanging around the neighborhood. When I got a little older (and could cross a busy intersection) we would bike over to my Grandma's house who always had treats for us.

It is sad that my daughter won't get the type of freedom I did. Just the way times have changed, but oh it was great!

I think it was 1977. I was at school and they were closing early because snow(would end up being a blizzard) came early.

We lived in the apartments next to the school.my dad was the head maintenance man. Snow was coming down and kids look out the windows of the classroom here comes my dad to get me on his golf cart lol.

The teacher asked why a golf cart and he told her he was from Indiana and the snow coming down was nothing lol

All of the time I spent with my aunt.

She passed away suddenly at the age of 42 from a brain anyerism, leaving behind her 9 and 6 year old children. I was 25 and DS17 was 7 weeks old.

Two days ago marked the 17th anniversary of her death. Her daughter (my cousin) now has two little kids of her own, and is almost an exact replica of her mother :) my aunt truly lives on through her daughter!

Every year that I went camping with my family. We rented a cabin and stayed for two weeks. My dad, back then, worked and traveled a LOT. I think he was gone about three weeks a month so time with him was rare. During the two weeks he relaxed and totally focused on us kids and my mom. I'm not saying he ignored us when he was home, but it was his down time and didn't necessarily want to spend every free second doing something.

There's talk of going back there next year with all our families and our parents. It would be a blast and I hope we can make it happen.

All of the time I spent with my aunt.

She passed away suddenly at the age of 42 from a brain anyerism, leaving behind her 9 and 6 year old children. I was 25 and DS17 was 7 weeks old.

Two days ago marked the 17th anniversary of her death. Her daughter (my cousin) now has two little kids of her own, and is almost an exact replica of her mother :) my aunt truly lives on through her daughter!

I too, had A VERY, VERY SPECIAL AUNT. My dad's sister, my above grandparent's daughter. I think of her so often and coincidentally Oct 22 will be 17 yrs....

Summer. We got out of school the last day of May and didn't start back until after labor day. We would spend all our time outside playing. I have 5 older brothers so they were always playing football or baseball and I was always laying under a tree reading. We would go out in the woods and pick wild plumbs and get sick eating them.

This is probably going to sound horrible, but I love thinking back to the nights I would spend with my brother when he would come home after a few too many drinks. He is 9 years older than me, so when I was in like middle school, he would always go out partying and come home in the middle of the night when I was still awake. He is a super happy drunk, so he would always come in my room and ask if I wanted to hang out and watch a movie. So I would help him stumble down the stairs, make him a grilled cheese, and watch a movie with him until he would pass out. Those are the times we would talk about anything and everything and I loved it.

I also love thinking back to my Omi's house. I was in elementary school when she got really sick, so I would always insist on going over to hang out with her. She was my favorite. We would sit around and watch Judge Judy and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and she would get mad that I was so young but would always get the answers correct. She passed away not too long after, but I spent every moment with her that I could.

It was hard to pick one but one of my biggest two was about 13 years ago I went to AK with my class and we were on the kaili river ride and I saw the big drop and freaked so my teacher switched with another student and put her arm on top of mine so I could not jump out

She was one of one of my favorite teachers but unfortunately she passed

My mom and I watching (even then an old) Hank Williams life story movie, on TV when I was a kid, and how it was so cheesy but we both broke down and ugly cried

My parents, they both worked, and they were terrific parents. We had some great times. Since they worked, I spent a lot of time at my aunt and uncle's house. She was one of those special aunts. Had 4 kids of her own, and me and a couple other kids, and a ton of neighborhood kids, at her house on a daily basis. One little girl who lived right next door to her house, she and I were bff's until she moved to another town not far away. We are still in contact with each other. I had a wonderful childhood

2 things come to mind. Wiffle ball games in my backyard with the neighborhood kids. My dad played frequently played, none of the other dads did. Which in hindsight is interesting since my dad was about 20 years older than any other dad on the block and had a heart condition.

Every Sunday after Sunday school my dad took me downtown to a drug store with a soda fountain. We'd get milk shakes, and a package of those cheese flavored cracker sandwiches with peanut butter in the middle.

I very fondly remember just sitting in our living room with my dad discussing the books we were reading, and what was going on in the world at that time, he is the reason that I have the love of knowledge and learning that I have, and I will always be so appreciative of him for that gift in my life. Sadly, he passed unexpectedly when I was a senior in college, and was never able to see me graduate or pursue graduate level studies as I know that would have been his greatest joy.

I'm bombarded by fond childhood memories. My grandfather had my dad (architect) design his very first house as a vacation home for the family. It's on a lake in a beautiful wooded area. For decades the family used this place and it's been added on to and remodeled over the years. We've had wonderful holidays and family celebrations here. When my grandfather passed away, the house became my dad's. He died a few years ago and the house became mine. The past few years, DH and I have done remodeling and plan to live here full time. What I really love is that cousins I haven't seen since my teens have been coming for visits. I LOVE THAT!!! Besides being filled with great memories, the house is truly unique and I love knowing my dad designed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter