• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is something you like to do the "old fashion way"

::yes:: I agree except for me it's cooking in the oven or on the stove top instead of in a crock-pot. I really dislike crock-pot food; it may smell great but everything comes out of it tasting the same. Blech. :crazy2:
I dislike the taste but also the way the smell permeates through every room of the house and lasts all day. It's overkill for me.

I dislike the taste but also the way the smell permeates through every room of the house and lasts all day. It's overkill for me.
I'm just not a crock-pot person. I see very little upside but I do understand the convenience factor some come to rely on. I actually dread going to pot-luck meals and seeing all the crock-pots lined up knowing all the food is going to taste what I call "crock-potty". :crazy2:

abakus-grunder.png

I'm just not a crock-pot person. Me either.
"crock-potty". :crazy2:
. :rotfl:
I have a good friend who redid her kitchen maybe 10 years ago. Her brother, not an electrician, helped with the wiring and melted her new oven. She never repaired or replaced it. So she only cooks with crock pots. She did Thanks Giving once and I ate beforehand. I don't even know how that works.

I'm just not a crock-pot person. I see very little upside but I do understand the convenience factor some come to rely on. I actually dread going to pot-luck meals and seeing all the crock-pots lined up knowing all the food is going to taste what I call "crock-potty". :crazy2:

Are you secretly a This is Us fan? That would make your crockpot hatred legit.

DW used to use a crock pot to make soups, stews, chili, and the like. I've NEVER used a crock pot, only the stove top. She agrees that MY versions of such things are SUPERIOR and has conceded the preparation of those things to me.

OK, I admit that a few other things she's made in the crock pot are somewhat edible.

calendar on a paper calendar.

yup, the household calendar is up on the fridge so everyone in the household can see at a glance what's going on when.

Pay bills via check.

me too-and if it's a vendor i don't use frequently or it's a first time with them i write in my check ledger what i used them for/their phone number so that if i need their services again i can just flip through the check ledger book and locate the information.

You must be a kinesthetic learner - that strategy is highly recommended for people with that learning style. There's actually some connection between the physical motion and the brain retaining the information. Me, I'm "auditory" and retain information best if I divert my eyes from the speaker (or close them entirely) and concentrate on just listening to what's being said. Having to watch a slide-show while simultaneously listening to a lecture really messes me up. Add in note taking and you can pretty much forget it. :upsidedow
I am a kinesthetic/visual learner. Not only does the writing help, but the way in which I organize and highlight important info also helps me. I can picture my notes in my head sometimes if that makes sense.

I am a kinesthetic/visual learner. Not only does the writing help, but the way in which I organize and highlight important info also helps me. I can picture my notes in my head sometimes if that makes sense.
::yes:: Makes TOTAL sense because I can close my eyes and "hear" information that I've absorbed up to and including the original infliction of the speaker.

I prefer to hand sew rather than use a machine but most of the time, the project being worked on can't take months to finish, so the machine gets used frequently...

I know exactly what you mean. It has this certain taste about it, not bad per se, but something slightly "off."

My mother never used a crock pot and neither do I. It's just something I never was interested in trying.

I know exactly what you mean. It has this certain taste about it, not bad per se, but something slightly "off."

My mother never used a crock pot and neither do I. It's just something I never was interested in trying.
LOL - mine either and I never owned one until a few years ago when having a hot, home-cooked supper waiting every night sprang up as an ideal way to improve my marriage, parenting, health, food budget, sense of self-worth and overall contentment in life. :rotfl2:Got along without it before I met it, gettin' along without it now!

I'm not ready for eDeposits yet. That's where you take a picture of the cheque for deposit.

I wanted to be ready for those - in case sometimes I really couldn't get to the bank...but I ran into some snag setting it up and never bothered to go in and fix it. I actually like knowing the tellers and having a friendly conversation - reminds me of "the old days".

I personally don't get all the crock pot hate - I use to love being able to fix dinner when I was at my best (in the morning!) and not when I was tired and cranky and already hungry. But DS agrees with many of you that something tastes off about it, so I use it much less than I used to. He'll be happy to know he isn't alone in his opinion!

I wanted to be ready for those - in case sometimes I really couldn't get to the bank...but I ran into some snag setting it up and never bothered to go in and fix it. I actually like knowing the tellers and having a friendly conversation - reminds me of "the old days".

I personally don't get all the crock pot hate - I use to love being able to fix dinner when I was at my best (in the morning!) and not when I was tired and cranky and already hungry. But DS agrees with many of you that something tastes off about it, so I use it much less than I used to. He'll be happy to know he isn't alone in his opinion!
For a large check I would go to the bank, for a smaller check I would just go to the ATM to deposit it. My bank charges to do the e-deposit anyways.

On that note I don't really get checks that I need to deposit. Over the last few years it's been a few and that's it-escrow account balance when we refinanced, refund from taxes because they changed the rules for a deduction after we had completed our e-file of our taxes so the additional refund had to be a paper check as opposed to direct deposit and I think a portion of a hotel stay from the in-laws.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter