What is the minimum and maximum you are willing to spend on a hotel room for general vacations?

So many variables to think about. Where am I going (what is usual local cost of hotel rooms)? What is the purpose? Somewhere to lay my head only e.g. city break, or somewhere to lounge by the pool and savour e.g. beach holiday? Am I sharing the cost and with whom? Disney is way more than I would pay anywhere else, so that's my absolute top dollar (or pound for me :D )

Hawaii, Disney property, beach front in OC MD or VA Beach, fancy mountain top lodges, would like to be $250- $500/night. Don't like to skimp on vacation accommodations anymore.
What would you recommend in OC MD or VA Beach?
Heading down the coast next month and want to do coastal stays all the way down to Florida.

I'd rather spend the money on experiences, attractions, etc than a place to sleep/shower.
This. I'm wondering if some posters here just have literally unlimited funds, or if they are choosing the hotel over actually doing anything at their destination. To each their own, but I could do a LOT of amazing, once in a lifetime experiences and still spend way less than $1k a night.

Heading down the coast next month and want to do coastal stays all the way down to Florida.
Jumping in here. You didn't ask me but if you were to ask, I'd say keep driving and stop in NC instead. OC MD is soooo overrated and expensive for what you get.

It depends on where I'm going. Usually, I prefer a Hampton Inn or Marriott, so whatever the room rate is for the area.
The last couple of trips (and next few upcoming) are to Williamsburg, VA and I've been staying at the Williamsburg Inn (until last year, it was on the bucket list for 25 years). When I make the reservations, I pick on the package plans Colonial Williamsburg offers so the rate also includes breakfast each morning, and a length of stay ticket. Rates vary based on time of year, day of the week, and room type. It's been anywhere between $499 - $899 per night. It has a five star rating from Forbes and five diamond rating from AAA and I can attest that it lives up to those ratings...even when their COVID protocols were more stringent (ie: no turn down service or room service).

Last edited:
In Ocean City, I really like "Princess Royale". Lots of 80s vibes. Sweet indoor pool area/atrium. Easy walk out to the beach. All of the rooms are suites with a living room (with a sofa bed), small kitchen (full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave, sink and electric cook top), good sized bathroom, large bedroom with either a king bed or two queens. Many of the rooms have partial ocean views. But mostly, it's ocean front with a lot of really great restaurants near by. It's not on the boardwalk, I consider that a good thing in OC, so it's quieter. My family of 4 stays there happily for up to a week.

In Virginia Beach, I love a timeshare resort called "Boardwalk Resort and Villas". This resort is on the boardwalk, but VB is so much more chill than OC, so it's fine. More like 90s vibes here. Never tried the indoor pool/spa because we've always had such awesome weather in VB! Another easy walk out to the beach. I have to recommend an oceanfront one bedroom suite. Beautiful, beautiful views of the ocean. The one bedroom suite has a living room (with a nice sofa bed), dining area, full kitchen (so awesome, love timeshares), funky bathroom setup (toilet in it's own room, but the shower/tub and vanity are open to the bedroom), and a large bedroom with a queen bed and a second sleeper sofa. I feel like it's in the heart of the action, lots of great restaurants near by and a Dairy Queen! So yes, a great set-up for a long stay.

Jumping in here. You didn't ask me but if you were to ask, I'd say keep driving and stop in NC instead. OC MD is soooo overrated and expensive for what you get.
Got any specific recommendations?
Driving from NH to Key West so planning at least 3 nights on the way down, 3 nights on the way back.
Quiet or quaint beach towns are of interest.

This. I'm wondering if some posters here just have literally unlimited funds, or if they are choosing the hotel over actually doing anything at their destination. To each their own, but I could do a LOT of amazing, once in a lifetime experiences and still spend way less than $1k a night.
In the case of the Williamsburg Inn, staying there is part of the experience. Also, as I said, it includes a length of stay ticket to the historic area. Although I do spend a decent amount of time in the room each day, I'm also out and doing stuff for the majority of it. It's nice to come back to very spacious room, though, with definitive sleeping and sitting areas. And the service can't be beat. Call down to the front desk for ice, and they're knocking on your door with almost before you hang up the phone.

It's also location. The Inn is, at most, a five minute walk to the historic area...about 15 minutes to art museums and maybe 20 minute to the shopping area in Merchant's Square. And that's if you want to walk. The also offer complimentary, on-demand shuttle service to just about anywhere.

Last edited:
boo.gif

In the case of the Williamsburg Inn, staying there is part of the experience. Also, as I said, it includes a length of stay ticket to the historic area. Although I do spend a decent amount of time in the room each day, I'm also out and doing stuff for the majority of it. It's nice to come back to very spacious room, though, with definitive sleeping and sitting areas. And the service can't be beat. Call down to the front desk for ice, and they're knocking on your door with almost before you hang up the phone.

It's also location. The Inn is, at most, a five minute walk to the historic area...about 15 minutes to art museums and maybe 20 minute to the shopping area in Merchant's Square. And that's if you want to walk. The also offer complimentary, on-demand shuttle service to just about anywhere.
Totally understand. I'm a huge fan of Williamsburg, and while I've never stayed at the Inn, I have done the Yuletide Supper there on Christmas Eve. Truly spectacular. But for myself, I'd choose one of the historic homes that are also offered as part of the package. I prefer to immerse myself in the history, which I personally feel the historic homes do better. But I've also been known to stay at the Governor's Inn, since it offers everything the others do at a way lower price point in exchange for fewer amenities, which means more money for stuff like Cry Witch and the ghost tours. But I definitely get how the Williamsburg Inn could be part of the experience.

Totally understand. I'm a huge fan of Williamsburg, and while I've never stayed at the Inn, I have done the Yuletide Supper there on Christmas Eve. Truly spectacular. But for myself, I'd choose one of the historic homes that are also offered as part of the package. I prefer to immerse myself in the history, which I personally feel the historic homes do better. But I've also been known to stay at the Governor's Inn, since it offers everything the others do at a way lower price point in exchange for fewer amenities, which means more money for stuff like Cry Witch and the ghost tours. But I definitely get how the Williamsburg Inn could be part of the experience.
The first place I stayed at in Williamsburg was the Governor's Inn (it's no more now). The Amtrak train that came through every morning at about 7:00 did not amuse me. I've also stayed at the Woodlands (old and new) and Lodge. I've considered the historic homes, but feel more comfortable at the Inn. I've also gotten know the waitstaff at the Terrace Room and the bell services staff (the A-Team as I like to call them), so it's like visiting friends.

And there's plenty left for Cry Witch, ghost tours, and such. The only reason I passed on doing Cry Witch in May was that I've done it at least 20 times. Since my next trip is over Halloween, I may consider doing it if they add it to the schedule and I have time. I'm very interested in doing Revel at Chownings Tavern and the Lighting of the Cressets. Sometimes it seems there's more to do than what I have time. I currently have two spreadsheets going (one for the Oct. trip and one for the Dec. trip) to try to get some idea of plan as to what to do. Since the December trip includes two of the Grand Illumination weekends, I've got a feeling there's going to be way more than I can possible do that trip.

The first place I stayed at in Williamsburg was the Governor's Inn (it's no more now). The Amtrak train that came through every morning at about 7:00 did not amuse me. I've also stayed at the Woodlands (old and new) and Lodge. I've considered the historic homes, but feel more comfortable at the Inn. I've also gotten know the waitstaff at the Terrace Room and the bell services staff (the A-Team as I like to call them), so it's like visiting friends.

And there's plenty left for Cry Witch, ghost tours, and such. The only reason I passed on doing Cry Witch in May was that I've done it at least 20 times. Since my next trip is over Halloween, I may consider doing it if they add it to the schedule and I have time. I'm very interested in doing Revel at Chownings Tavern and the Lighting of the Cressets. Sometimes it seems there's more to do than what I have time. I currently have two spreadsheets going (one for the Oct. trip and one for the Dec. trip) to try to get some idea of plan as to what to do. Since the December trip includes two of the Grand Illumination weekends, I've got a feeling there's going to be way more than I can possible do that trip.
The Woodlands is fantastic. Sort of a nice middle of the road option. I hadn't been in a few years, and didn't realize the Governor's Inn was closed. That's too bad, I feel like they really needed one budget option. But I completely understand the whole feeling like friends thing--we took the RV up one year and stayed about six weeks, and I got to be really good friends with one of the actors...to the point that I got invited to a late night cast party in the courtyard at Chowning's. It's amazing how many songs they know from the period that are decidedly not family friendly lol.

Your next trips are at my two favorite times of year to visit. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I feel like it's easy to make a spooky trip out of it with the extras. And Christmas is my second favorite, and Grand Illumination is just incredible. I'm allllll about the special events--my dad loved the Magic Lantern guy so much that I actually bought him his own Magic Lantern on eBay. The glass harmonica, the theatrical performances....dangit, now I might need to start planning my own trip soon.

A lot depends on where we're visiting. I won't stay in less than a 3* hotel. Generally, we pay $150-$300/night depending on the city. If we're doing an all-inclusive resort the range is more in the $500-$1,000/night.

The Woodlands is fantastic. Sort of a nice middle of the road option. I hadn't been in a few years, and didn't realize the Governor's Inn was closed. That's too bad, I feel like they really needed one budget option. But I completely understand the whole feeling like friends thing--we took the RV up one year and stayed about six weeks, and I got to be really good friends with one of the actors...to the point that I got invited to a late night cast party in the courtyard at Chowning's. It's amazing how many songs they know from the period that are decidedly not family friendly lol.

Your next trips are at my two favorite times of year to visit. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I feel like it's easy to make a spooky trip out of it with the extras. And Christmas is my second favorite, and Grand Illumination is just incredible. I'm allllll about the special events--my dad loved the Magic Lantern guy so much that I actually bought him his own Magic Lantern on eBay. The glass harmonica, the theatrical performances....dangit, now I might need to start planning my own trip soon.
Wow! Six weeks. I'd love that. My sister and I had a funny experience with actor portraying Thomas Jefferson when we were there in May. Because of weather, we didn't get to see him until our second to last day when we did a Walk With A Nation Builder. We'd done it with him twice before and have chatted with him both in character and out. This last time, after he finished his introductory to walk, he looked at my sister and I and said something to the effect of "I didn't know you ladies were about town," and asked when we arrived and when we were leaving. We joked afterwards that we should check in with him in the future. *LOL*

This is going to be our second attempt at Grand Illumination. Our first attempt was in 2002. We used to drive down then (from the Boston area). Unfortunately, the day we were supposed to leave, there was a major snowstorm in the Boston area. it delayed our departure by a day, so we ended up missing Grand Illumination. We're flying this time (and hope for no snow) and since they're doing it three weekends and we'll be there for two of them, we definitely shouldn't miss it this time.

If it helps, I think you really should start planning a trip soon. :)

We don’t usually travel, but when we were in Toronto in June, we paid close to $300 a night and it was very decent. We wouldn’t usually spend that much, but we decided to splurge a bit.

It depends. But these days we tend to rent via VRBO etc for anything longer than a night or two. Even long weekends we will often use them.

We mostly use hotels for one night on road trips. We try to stick to around $200-$250. Preferably closer to $200 or even a little less if possible.

Occasionally we will do a hotel for a few days on short trips and then it's usually around $250-$350 depending.

Except Las Vegas. All bets are off there. We only started going there in the last year but now are coming up on our fourth trip and have another planned at the end of the year. I think some of those trips we might have averaged around $450 a night.

Well we take two kinds of trips these days....to Europe and a beach resort type vacation. For really nice beach resort with incredible service we're willing to spend $1,000-$1,200 a night, but that's only in the last 5-6 years or so since our income increased. And on that kind of trip the room/view/service is paramount. And other than food and spa, you don't do much spending. At least we don't....we're not big on excursions for that kind of vacation. For europe....I'd say we average $400-$700....with most of the trip in quality 3 start boutique-type hotels...possibly ending the trip at a 4 star which is more of a relaxing/view type town like say Positano. In our early travel years in Europe we tried a couple of 2 star hotels in the $200-ish range and we weren't pleased. On our trips to Europe we spend a lot more on guides, excursions...etc.
Really? We are going on our first trip to Europe (Venice and Rome) next year and are staying in three star hotels and they are ranging around $250-$300 a night. They have good reviews, I hope they decent. For various reasons we have decided to spend more on our flight so we can recline and sleep in reasonable comfort (delta premium select) and not be in such bad shape when we land. Therefore we are spending less on the hotels. We are staying in a VRBO for a week in Tuscany.

Really? We are going on our first trip to Europe (Venice and Rome) next year and are staying in three star hotels and they are ranging around $250-$300 a night. They have good reviews, I hope they decent. For various reasons we have decided to spend more on our flight so we can recline and sleep in reasonable comfort (delta premium select) and not be in such bad shape when we land. Therefore we are spending less on the hotels. We are staying in a VRBO for a week in Tuscany.

I think it really varies to be honest. We stayed at a 3 star in Arles France once...it was in the $200-$300 range, ranked the #2 hotel on Trip Advisor for that city, mentioned in Rick Steve's book as a recommendation...very near the Amphitheater....and it wasn't great at all. The room was super worn down...there was some mold on the tile...that kind of thing. It also had very limited breakfast options...no hot egg dishes, which it said it had on their website. What they meant was they provided eggs and a pot of boiling water....you had to use these egg holder thingies to boil your own egg. We stuck it out at that hotel...but looking back, there are other towns in Provence where I'd stay next time. We did however have an *amazing* guide in Provence who drove us all over for three days including some very cool experiences. I think we paid her $1000 at that time for the three days....this was back in 2011. So, while those are the most important memories....the experiences always are....I definitely remember not loving that hotel.

The other factor is that DH and I have always traveled to Europe in September/October...and it's expensive to go then. The three stars I mentioned on this thread...in Paris and in Rome are both in the $500s for that period of time. I just checked. And I'd stay in both again in a heartbeat. And we've also become more comfortable as we've gotten older spending a bit more on vacations.

Also...I totally agree with upgrading your seats on the flights....that makes a big difference in my opinion.

Wow! Six weeks. I'd love that. My sister and I had a funny experience with actor portraying Thomas Jefferson when we were there in May. Because of weather, we didn't get to see him until our second to last day when we did a Walk With A Nation Builder. We'd done it with him twice before and have chatted with him both in character and out. This last time, after he finished his introductory to walk, he looked at my sister and I and said something to the effect of "I didn't know you ladies were about town," and asked when we arrived and when we were leaving. We joked afterwards that we should check in with him in the future. *LOL*

This is going to be our second attempt at Grand Illumination. Our first attempt was in 2002. We used to drive down then (from the Boston area). Unfortunately, the day we were supposed to leave, there was a major snowstorm in the Boston area. it delayed our departure by a day, so we ended up missing Grand Illumination. We're flying this time (and hope for no snow) and since they're doing it three weekends and we'll be there for two of them, we definitely shouldn't miss it this time.

If it helps, I think you really should start planning a trip soon. :)
That's so cool about Thomas Jefferson! One of my favorite interactions ever was Christmas Eve at the Governor's Mansion years ago. We lived in FL at the time. A couple of the girls (portraying townspeople, not anyone famous) asked where we were from. When we told them, they looked horrified, and one said to the other, "Oh my, they're from the savage lands!" When we left the event, it was just starting to snow, which...being from FL, I had never actually seen before. Really magical night.

I'm so excited for you to make it to Grand Illumination!! Keeping my fingers crossed for no snow! It really is one of the best times of all to be there :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter