• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the most expensive thing you have bought so far in 2023?

I just bought out the lease on my car, that will, out of necessity be the most expensive thing I will buy for a few years anyway.

I feel like I hemorrhaged money today. $450 to the plumber to fix a couple small plumbing issues. $3100 to the garage door company to order a new garage door and motor (I did just pay a $1600 deposit, so I will owe the rest when they come to install it)

15 month CD. Biggest purchase of my life. I’m a little short of breath.

fingers crossed you got a good rate-there's some nice ones out there (i committed to a 5 year recently so i know where you are coming from).

Have to note, the question is what did you buy and most answers are what people paid. You don't buy taxes, you pay them. You don't buy a plumber, you pay them. So it really is a lot of wrong answers to the question of the thread.

And still other than groceries, haven't bought anything yet this year.

Curious as I know nothing about investing anything, does that just pay 5% when it matures? So buy $1000 CD at 5% and it is worth $1050 when it matures? Or is it 5% compounded so that if it's monthly or whatever, to calculate it would be 5%/12months to get an estimated per month amount or whatever period of compounding time?

that's a good one-and 15 months is a nice term.
Curious as I know nothing about investing anything, does that just pay 5% when it matures? So buy $1000 CD at 5% and it is worth $1050 when it matures? Or is it 5% compounded so that if it's monthly or whatever, to calculate it would be 5%/12months to get an estimated per month amount or whatever period of compounding time?

depends on the institution but generally speaking most cd's do compound interest. generally monthly so if you are not pulling the interest each month that initial $1000 in your example grows each month, and the subsequent month(s) you are earning more interest on the growing balance. with your example the impact of compounding has that annual interest rate up being about 5.16%,

A new lift/recliner chair. My old one broke and I am having shoulder replacement surgery in 3 weeks and it was recommended I get one.

New shoes are by far the most expensive purchase for me. I plan to buy vitamins for the whole family on Canadian Pharmacy Online to maintain immunity. This will be my most expensive purchase in the near future. But health, in my opinion, is very important and you need to take care of it the most

Last edited:
A Herman Miller office chair for the living room to complement some physical therapy I was getting for neck pain. It's awesome and seems to be working--posture really does matter. We paid a little extra for teal so it would mix/match the other colorful furniture in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter