What is the UK pavilion at Epcot missing?

See Wales in there properly..

i found it very english,:) more of the other nations

IMO the UK pavillion is really the English pavillion, the other areas of the UK (Scotland, Wales and Ireland) are only really represented by the CM's they hire. The UK pavillion, in comparison to the others, is pretty sad and could just do with a bit of a facelift :)

I could go into it, but it's easier to just say 'What they said". :)

I don't mind that it's 'Disneyfied' (hey, you can't get away from that) but it's definitely England not the UK.

Also it needs some sort of attraction. The band at the pavilion and the street players really don't cut it. Personally rework part of the area and build some sort of proper attraction.

A dark ride, a simulator, heck, even a crappy film would do (but not as pretentious as the film in the french pavillion! ;) )! But it needs something more.

As a northerner, Id loved them to do something that represents Northern England. I do feel Disneys version of the UK is very 'Royal London'. But on the other hand, that is what people see England as!

As a northerner, Id loved them to do something that represents Northern England. I do feel Disneys version of the UK is very 'Royal London'. But on the other hand, that is what people see England as!

I think that is a fair point. There are some threads on other pavillions posted on the appropriate forums and the response has been pretty much the same: Not a true reflection.

I think we have to accept that capturing the essence of an entire country is very difficult in a small space. What they have tried to do is give a sampler of each not a trip to the real thing.

I agree that it isn't the best representation they could have done of the UK, but how many times have you watched a film lately and as soon as the action cuts to the UK you have red double deckers, phone boxes and police running down the street blowing their whistles.
I don't know if any actual British people were consulted when the place was designed but if they were I think it odd that they came up with what they did. Don't get me wrong - I don't think it is 'rubbish' as such but it could be so much better. Having worked with many many americans recently what they like about the UK is our history, and when they come to visit they enjoy going to places like York, enjoying a ghost walk and checking out the really old parts of the city. Maybe they could build a mock castle there and do ghost walks - or even a copy of London Dungeons might work.

I agree that it isn't the best representation they could have done of the UK, but how many times have you watched a film lately and as soon as the action cuts to the UK you have red double deckers, phone boxes and police running down the street blowing their whistles.
I don't know if any actual British people were consulted when the place was designed but if they were I think it odd that they came up with what they did. Don't get me wrong - I don't think it is 'rubbish' as such but it could be so much better. Having worked with many many americans recently what they like about the UK is our history, and when they come to visit they enjoy going to places like York, enjoying a ghost walk and checking out the really old parts of the city. Maybe they could build a mock castle there and do ghost walks - or even a copy of London Dungeons might work.

I am from Canada - and this is coming as a shock to me.

Are you trying to say London is NOT a Benny Hill chase?

I have to agree with lots which has been posted already.

It's very 'England' rather than the UK - Scotland, Wales and Ireland aren't represented. It's also very geared to the southern end of England, the north seems to have been forgotten too.

It also seems very old-fasioned, but then as someone else has said, it's the history in the UK which attracts the visitors.

I am from Canada - and this is coming as a shock to me.

Are you trying to say London is NOT a Benny Hill chase?

:lmao:

To be honest we never linger there, the scale seems quite "off" to me, that could be true for the other pavilions but the UK is what I know. It just doesn't appeal to me at all and I certainly wouldn't choose to eat in the area when there is so much more to choose from, we just giggle as we walk past :rotfl:

To make it truly authentic I think it needs an Indian restaurant :yay:

Did enjoy the new band this trip and a pint of Guinness in the ROsr and Crown, but didn't really spend much time in the shops.

The new group (sorry don't know their name) were really good and we spend a lovely hour listening to them.

I do live near a village, Whitegate, that does look like UK in Epcot....however the one in Epcot seems to be lacking in litter!!

You only need to read through this thread and see how often the UK pavilion is referred to as 'England' to see that it might as well be renamed that.

I remember first time I saw Off Kilter at Epcot and thinking it was nice that they had added a bit of Scottishness only to realise I was in Canada!:rotfl2:

You only need to read through this thread and see how often the UK pavilion is referred to as 'England' to see that it might as well be renamed that.

I remember first time I saw Off Kilter at Epcot and thinking it was nice that they had added a bit of Scottishness only to realise I was in Canada!:rotfl2:

Thats too funny:rotfl:

I would get Jamie Oliver to spice up the menu, a guest appearance by David Beckham behind the bar, and its Olympic year soon so lets celebrate that:woohoo:

Realisticly its missing a few young hooded lads, some moaning pensioners and a pound shop!

But in all seriousness, I think it lacks something sport related. Maybe its the man in me saying, but sport is a huge thing in this nation and its not represented anywhere.

Well I don't know as when it was -4 in January 2007 when we visited my husband and son were both hooded and my Mum was moaning about it being too Bl**dy cold so we solved that for you! :rotfl:

I thought one of the shops had sporting merchandise in it? Or maybe I have just made that up completely :goodvibes

I agree that traditional food could be improved
Roast beef & Yorkshire pudding - Haggis dishes - scones & clotted cream - bacon & egg on sliced breadA coal mining exhibition or something to do with the industrial revolution - a route master bus etc........

Now you're talking! :thumbsup2

I think that it's just another country's rose tinted take on what we are like here, I have a friend coming over from Portland next year and she is touring Europe, I am taking her to Startford Upon Avon to see the sights, but then I am going to drive her round a bit so she can see the real UK, not what they show you on the guide maps. I think she will be shocked that it's not all like Epcot with the Beatles playing in the streets!

I think I would just change the food options the Harry Ramsdens is awful, but even still we always end up grabbing that when we are waiting for Illuminations, I'd like to see some sort of greasy spoon cafe, that would be so cool! But with proper back bacon not that streaky stuff!:laughing:

Uh yeah, could someone explain that to me? DH is from Scotland so when we walked by and saw that group he was all, "WTH does that have to do with Canada?" It left us scratching our heads so I am very curious, lol.

Also, he is actually quite offended that they sell Celtic teams stuff and not Rangers. I'll never begin to understand the big deal but it's a very big deal to him. So I guess they either need to represent more teams and the sports as mentioned by a pp or take out the ones they have.

For me, I'll go with the group that says to include Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. Most people over here think the UK is just another word for England. Disney has a wonderful chance to educate and they don't.

Uh yeah, could someone explain that to me? DH is from Scotland so when we walked by and saw that group he was all, "WTH does that have to do with Canada?" It left us scratching our heads so I am very curious, lol.

Also, he is actually quite offended that they sell Celtic teams stuff and not Rangers. I'll never begin to understand the big deal but it's a very big deal to him. So I guess they either need to represent more teams and the sports as mentioned by a pp or take out the ones they have.

For me, I'll go with the group that says to include Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. Most people over here think the UK is just another word for England. Disney has a wonderful chance to educate and they don't.

I remember asking the same thing about the football shirts and i was told that it was a brand thing, as in who made the shirts. I think it was Umbro that Disney had the deal with but not 100% sure.

I remember asking the same thing about the football shirts and i was told that it was a brand thing, as in who made the shirts. I think it was Umbro that Disney had the deal with but not 100% sure.

The only other thing I can think of is, America has a big Irish community and Celtic are linked to Ireland, I could be approaching that at the wrong angle but thats the only thing I can think of?:confused3

But they do sell Liverpool football shirts, so at least they know who the best football team is....;)
:goodvibes

Canada has very strong heritage ties with Scotland so strange as it may appear, it is entirely appropriate ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter