• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is up with Frozen?!

Ist watching don't expect much. But the second time you'll see a lot more and like it. :) Enjoy. Just had my 9th viewing tonight with my niece and her daughter, bunch of kids last night. :)

Just saw it for the first time on the Wonder, I am not much of a 'cartoon' fiend... but I loved it. Great animation... great story (even made me cry in a couple of places). Theater was standing room only.... so folks are still coming out in droves for the show... be it on land or on sea. I am so looking forward to seeing Frozen on stage when they get the Broadway musical up and running.

Now in the top 10 movies of all time.

#1 Animated movie of all time.

#3 Movie of all time not a sequel.

Now in the top 10 movies of all time.

#1 Animated movie of all time.

#3 Movie of all time not a sequel.

What list are you going by? The lists I've seen have Titanic, Avatar & The Avengers #1-3, none of which are sequels. I suppose some are disqualifying The Avengers based on having the four setup movies, even if it's not a sequel to any of those.

Thanks Jade!

Frozen is now one of the top ten movies of all time, worldwide.

All these terms are now being legitimately used across the media landscape; juggernaut, tent pole, global blockbuster, cultural phenomenon, mega-hit, wildly successful.

It will definitely climb further up the all time chart at least to 9 or 8, and depending upon if it has legs in Japan like Korea and in the USA it could end up at 7 or even 6.

Even after setting DVD/Blu-ray sales and rental records, Frozen was still 17th this weekend domestically. Less than $2 million form $400 million.

Slate.com said:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ow_the_highest_grossing_animated_film_of.html

Move over, Woody and Buzz: Frozen is officially the highest-grossing animated film of all time. The sister-strong epic has now grossed $1.072 billion total after opening in Japan, finally edging out Toy Story 3's $1.062 billion take from back in 2010. The achievement is the latest in a string of Frozen benchmarks: it's also the first film from Walt Disney Animation Studios to win the Oscar for Best Animated Feature, and its digital release is the fastest-selling ever, with 3.2 million DVD and Blu-Ray units sold in its first day. The success isn't just rooted in international sales, either; Frozen remained in the top 10 at the domestic box office for 16 straight weeks, which hadn't been done since 2002.

And for the "Let it Go" fans, the soundtrack is making just as much history: already platinum-certified, the album returned to the #1 spot on the Billboard charts last week for a seventh time, tied with Taylor Swift's 2012 hit Red and inching closer to the success of Adele's 21, which spent 24 weeks at the top spot in the same year. The reign of the ice queen continues.

Hollywood Reporter:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-frozen-becomes-692156

Frozen now occupies the No. 10 spot on the list of the biggest global blockbusters and is the first billion-dollar title from Disney Animation Studios, as well as the seventh from Disney. It has earned $398.4 million domestically and $674 million internationally for a total $1.072 billion.

Variety said:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/frozen-becomes-the-highest-grossing-animated-film-ever-1201150128/

Boxofficemojo.com said:

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3808&p=.htm
"Frozen added $7.5 million in Japan, which brings its total to $50 million through three weeks. Over the weekend, Frozen passed Toy Story 3 to become the highest-grossing animated movie ever; it now ranks 10th all-time with $1.07 billion worldwide."

What list are you going by? The lists I've seen have Titanic, Avatar & The Avengers #1-3, none of which are sequels. I suppose some are disqualifying The Avengers based on having the four setup movies, even if it's not a sequel to any of those.

4th if you want to call Avengers an original movie, but like you say-if Anna had a movie, Elsa had a movie, Kristoff had a movie and Olaf had a previous movie-then yea, not an original movie and rightfully should be noted IMO.

Frozen keeps going and going. It's the Energizer Olaf.

Frozen is at $398,912,000 domestically and is slowly approaching the $400 million mark; however, it isn't slow at all overseas. It has already moved up to 9th all time and will end up at 6th or 7th. The movie has been totally embraced by Korean and Japanese audiences. It is a cultural phenomenon in Korea and is at the top for the 4th week in Japan and on its way to be a cultural phenomenon there, too.

From BoxOfficeMojo.com:
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3815&p=.htm

"Disney Animation's Frozen has now earned $1.097 billion worldwide. Sometime last week, it passed The Dark Knight Rises to move up to ninth place all-time.
The movie continues to do phenomenal business in Japan, where it's banked $75.1 million total and held first place for four-straight weekends. Assuming it continues to hold well there, Frozen should eventually move up to sixth on the all-time chart ahead of Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($1.124 billion)."

Here is the top 12 movies all time - unadjusted gross:
Rank Title Worldwide
1 Avatar $2,782.3
2 Titanic $2,186.8
3 Marvel's The Avengers $1,518.6
4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 $1,341.5
5 Iron Man 3 $1,215.4
6 Transformers: Dark of the Moon $1,123.8
7 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119.9
8 Skyfall $1,108.6
9 Frozen $1,097.3
10 The Dark Knight Rises $1,084.4
11 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066.2
12 Toy Story 3 $1,063.2

We used to go see every Disney movie but I have to say frozen really doesn't appeal to me so I'm not driven to go see it. It has been released both in the UK and France. It strikes me as more of a girls film and we tend to go more for unisex as we have girls and bits.

I had no desire to see it either but got stuck seeing it at a PTA Movie night, have to say (as a mom of a daughter) it's a really great movie and has one of the best messages of any Disney Princess movie. Give it a try!

Yes, go see it. And go soon. I want it to get the $400 Million milestone. :thumbsup2:lmao:

An evaluation of Frozen's place in Disney Canon:

While it is not tops when adjusted for ticket price inflation, people must consider that times are different. Movie viewing is down, other entertainment venues are up including video gaming and streaming movies, while multiplexes are everywhere showing dozens of movies, so choice is up. More people, less movies when Lion King was out, let alone the early movies like Sleeping Beauty or Snow White.

Also, there is something about Frozen that has made it a worldwide cultural phenomenon that seems bigger than Lion King and Toy Story 1, 2, or 3. This is impossible to measure and is only my view, but by evaluating the news, blogs, reports, and the venues people have to do covers on YouTube, it is amazing. People who love Frozen because of it's unique and powerfully meaningful story, don't just love it, they LOVE FROZEN. I mean, beyond the norm for other Disney movies. Oh, yes, the 10 year olds always go ga-ga over a particular movie, but this is all age ranges.

We will have to wait and see, but I think there is going to be a lasting cultural effect from this movie that won't be clear for a year or two.

I sure hope they do a sequel very carefully and very well. If so, they could possibly get the #3 spot all time gross with Frozen 2 or 3.

I think the music is exceptional, the animation is fantastic, and the story is what takes it over the top. True love is different than in other Disney films, and the villain is a good looking likable guy you wouldn't expect to see sitting next to Cruella, Ursula, Jafar, etc! It's a reflection of changing times and values.

alright! For this weeks update:

A lot of movies would love to make $112,000,000 total. Well Frozen has made $112,545,248 BEYOND one Billion. ... Yup.

Frozen is amazingly still in the top 20 movies domestically (at 17) for the weekend several weekends after the DVD/Blu-ray release and 21 weeks after release. Frozen now stands at $399,445,248 and is pretty much a given to reach $400 million.

Internationally Frozen is holding very strong. Boxofficemojo.com said:

"This weekend, Frozen passed Skyfall to move up to eighth place on the all-time worldwide chart with $1.11 billion. It's now held first place for five-straight weeks in Japan, which is now its top market with an incredible $89 million."

The estimates now say a total of $1,112,545,248. Frozen is certain to reach 6th all time.

Soundtrack and Single:

The soundtrack has now been top of the charts for the 10th week and only needs one more (I think) to beat Lion King's soundtrack.

Let It Go, Idina's version, reached the top 10 on the billboard top 200, the first time a Tony award winner accomplished that feat and it is still high on the charts and selling like hotcakes.

Toys keep getting to the stores and disappearing the same day. I read that Disney is even airlifting products from China to put in their Disney stores!!

What else is there to say. It keeps rolling. Where it stops nobody knows.

Frozen jumps two spots on the all-time world wide list to 6th and is now the biggest animation in the global foreign box office.

Domestically Frozen is at $399,873,000 and will definitely pass $400 million by next weekend. Internationally Frozen is now the highest grossing international animated film of all time with a cume of $729,300,000 internationally and a total of $1,129,173 world wide.

Together, Frozen and Captain America have brought Disney to $1 billion in a year in record time!

I think that Disney will develop Frozen II and at holiday time in 2015 do a holiday re-release of Frozen with an advertised glimpse of Frozen II that will make another $50 million domestically!

There is also good news below about Captain America, Disney reaching $1B, and some promising movies this year.

Some articles:

In Variety: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/disney-crosses-1-billion-overseas-in-record-time-1201159929/
'Frozen,' 'Captain America' sequel fuel studio benchmark

by Andrew Stewart
Fueled by whammo performances from “Frozen” and “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” Disney has crossed the $1 billion mark this weekend at the international box office, marking the fastest time the studio has ever done so.

So far, “Captain America” has grossed a whopping $586 million-plus globally, of which $385.1 million comes from overseas markets — a massive improvement over the original.

Though “The Winter Soldier” has impressed to date, the Mouse’s far-and-away stand-out player has been Disney Animation’s “Frozen,” which this weekend became the highest-grossing film internationally, with $729.3 million, surpassing “Ice Age: Continental Drift” (with $715 million in 2012).

“Frozen” has defied expectations in nearly every market: For instance, in Japan, where anime usually reigns supreme, the Disney toon has amassed an outstanding $104.1 million locally, making that territory the film’s largest contributor outside the U.S.

South Korea is the toon’s second-largest international territory, with $76.9 million, followed by the U.K. ($65.2 million) and China ($48.7 million).
Other than “Frozen” and “Captain America,” Disney has had few successes, since “Muppets Most Wanted” has struggled to gain any ground, collecting less than $20 million to date.

The studio, however, has several summer highlights to look forward to including “Million Dollar Arm,” “Maleficent” and “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Things are looking promising for this year!

The Wrap:
Even ‘Captain America’ Can't Stop ‘Frozen’ at Japan's Box Office

Movies | By Todd Cunningham on April 20, 2014 @ 11:27 am

In its sixth week, Disney's animated blockbuster tops the opening of the superhero sequel and moves to No. 6 on all-time list

Even “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” couldn't thaw the grip of Disney's blockbuster “Frozen” in Japan.

Disney Animation's musical tale of sisters Anna and Emma stayed on top for the sixth week in a row there with $7.5 million — topping the $2 million that the studio's Marvel superhero sequel opened with this weekend in Japan.

The country is the final, and has been by far the biggest, overseas market for “Frozen.” It's brought in more than $104 million there, ahead of the $76.9 million the film grossed in Korea.

“Frozen” is a phenomenon in Japan. Its drop this weekend was only 9 percent from last weekend's and it's played to almost the same numbers for its entire six-week run there.

Globally, “Frozen” hit $1.12 billion in grosses this weekend, making it the sixth-highest grossing movie of all time, passing “Lord of the Rings: Return of the King” ($1.11 billion) and “Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon” ($1.2 billion).

It's also become the highest-grossing international animated release of all time, passing “Ice Age 4.” In all, “Frozen” has brought in more than $729 million from overseas and nearly $400 million domestically.

Deadline: Hollywood
http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/fro...all-time-as-disney-reaches-1b-in-record-time/

'Frozen' is Highest Animated Int'l Grosser Of All Time As Disney Reaches $1B In Record Pace
by ANITA BUSCH | Sunday April 20, 2014 @ 9:20am

Based on the phenomenal grosses from Frozen and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Disney (which crossed $1BM worldwide earlier this month) now can boast that it crossed $1B internationally in record time. Frozen has just surpassed Ice Age 4 to become the worldwide leader as the highest-grossing animated film of all time in international markets with a total tally of $729.3M. In comparison, Ice Age: Continental Drift grossed $715.9M in 2012. In addition, Frozen is hovering at $400M domestically and should reach that watermark next weekend. It just skated across the $100M in Japan while Captain America 2 opened there as its final territory in its international run. Disney boasts the No. 1 and No. 2 spots in the country now with Frozen leading the way.

Marvel’s Captain America 2 has now grossed over $500M. In China alone, it is on the verge of passing $100 million. The sequel, 199% ahead of what the first installment did in its full run of $194M, has already passed the total international box office cumes for Iron Man 2 ($312M) and Iron Man ($267M) as well as Thor ($268M) and it did so in four weeks. In Japan, it grossed $2M, more than doubling the opening weekend of the first installment. It is still No. 1 in Korea four weeks running, too.

Frozen has also become the No. 6-highest grosser of all time with $1.129B, besting Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King ($1.114B) and Transformers: Dark Side Of The Moon ($1.123B). It’s highest-grossing territory is by far Japan, where it has grossed $104.1M to date.

Didn't think this would happen when Frozen was released but it crossed the $400 million domestic box office mark this Friday. Check out the very interesting article from Forbes, below.

Frozen was 13th on Friday, and hit $400,024,000 domestically... on it's 155th day of release. It is interesting that Frozen is still on hundreds of screens and is in or near the top 20 when it has been out for so long. Also, Frozen is the 15th movie to reach $400 mil on its original run, without re-releases, 19th overall.

Worldwide total is $1,133,431,000 and we will see where things stand when the weekend is over. Will Frozen have a 6th weekend in a row as the number one movie in Japan? I expect Frozen to really climb on domestic and international charts in two years from now when Disney does a special Christmas re-release with sing-along including a teaser for Frozen 2.

The soundtrack was number one for the 11th week and with the highest number of sales so far (The exact opposite of typical performance which peaks at opening and then declines.) It has now surpassed the Lion King, is one of the biggest animated or movie soundtracks. It is unknown how many more weeks it may remain on top. Here is an article on the music charts: http://www.playbill.com/news/articl...lboard-200-Scoring-Biggest-Sales-Week-to-Date

This is very good article (on Forbes) that covers some stats but discusses the reason for the success of Frozen. "Frozen touched a nerve around the world in a way few films do today." I think, because of this, it will amaze and set records in re-release in a few years.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/04/26/box-office-disneys-frozen-tops-400m/

Media & Entertainment 4/26/2014 @ 11:48AM 6,575 views
Box Office: Disney's 'Frozen' Tops $400M

On its 155th day of domestic release, Walt Disney’s animated smash Frozen has crossed $400 million at the domestic box office. Coming off a $67 million Fri-Sun debut over its $93m Thanksgiving weekend opening, the film has earned a mammoth 5.9x its opening weekend number. And while rank doesn’t matter per-se, its 17-week hold in the top ten brings to mind the kind of old-school hits like Ghostbusters and Back to the Future that used to just play for months and months on end.

Heck, Frozen has been out on VOD since February 25th and available on DVD since March 18th. Frozen has actually earned $15.7m since its VOD release and $3.3m since it dropped on DVD/Blu-Ray and sold 3.8 million copies in a single day. This wasn’t just a predetermined smash hit. Frozen touched a nerve around the world in a way few films do today.

The film crossed $1 billion about a month ago and continues to move higher up the all-time grossers list. With $1.13b worldwide, it is currently sitting at 6th, sandwiched between Iron Man 3 ($1.2b) and Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($1.12b).It was already the biggest-grossing non-sequel not directed by James Cameron. In America, the picture is a little more complicated. While the worldwide grossers list is tilted towards recent 3D-infused sequels, the top grossers list in America is still dominated by somewhat original properties. As such, Frozen is the 19th film to cross $400m in 16 years and the ninth non-sequel to do so, behind Jurassic Park (aided by last year’s 3D-reissue), Spider-Man, The Hunger Games, The Lion King (aided by 2011′s 3D-reissue), E.T. (aided by multiple reissues), Star Wars (more reissues that you can count), Titanic, and Avatar.

In terms of first-release only, Frozen is actually the fifteenth-biggest grosser in America and the fifth-biggest non-sequel. If you want to get specific, Frozen is the sixth-highest-grossing film in America not based on a known property that made it into a presold blockbuster, behind The Lion King Star Wars, E.T., and the James Cameron duo. As someone who started keeping track of box office back when Batman‘s $250m domestic gross was enough for a spot on the top-five, it’s a little refreshing to kind an example of where $400 million in domestic grosses is still both surprising and a result of old-school zeitgeist as opposed to massive openings so large as to get them over the hump with just the slightest of legs.

The first film to cross $400 million domestic was actually Star Wars, which used the $136 million earned by its special edition reissue in 1997 to push it over the hump. Titanic followed that December to cross not just $400m but also $500m and $600m, a feat not bested until The Dark Knight ($533m) in 2008 and The Avengers ($623m) in 2012. Well, aside from Avatar in 2009, which earned $760m. Like the $1 billion worldwide grosser, the $400m benchmark was once an unfathomable milestone that went from plausible to almost expected for the very biggest films in just under a decade.

But that doesn’t make the milestone any less impressive for Frozen, especially considering the demographics. As you look at that top-grossers list, you don’t find very many female-centric pictures. You’ve got the Leonardio DiCaprio/Kate Winslet-starring Titanic, the action-centric The Hunger Games, and male-skewing films that played well to both genders (pretty much anything that goes that high needs gender-neutral appeal). Frozen is the only unapologetic “chick flick” on the $400m list that had no male heartthrob, mass destruction, or hard action to sell. It is a film not just about a lone woman in a (stereotypically) male-centric genre (war, action, etc.), but about women and with little to entice the male gender beyond its quality.

So yes, Frozen should be celebrated as a box office milestone, both in terms of its final gross, in terms of how it made its money (slowly, fueled by word of mouth), and how it bucked conventional wisdom (it’s an unapologetically female-centric fairy tale). It’s proven yet again that a female-centric film can reach just as high on the blockbuster scale as a conventionally male-centric one. It has helped make the gender divide in popular entertainment a part of the common conversation, to the point where LEGO Movie 2 director Chris McKay admitted to The Daily Mail, apparently without prompting, that his sequel would correct the gender imbalance found in the first smash hit.

Frozen‘s success is more than just another preordained blockbuster in fact becoming a blockbuster. It’s a film that opened well and then kept on chugging because audiences loved it, and because the market craved it. That’s why it matters.

I got my first Frozen merch item today! A shirt for $8.99 from Target -

2i6crgy.jpg

We had a Frozen themed birthday party for my daughter (7) this past weekend. Of course without really any of the merchandise available, it was all DIY.

- White and light blue balloons, cutout snowflakes, and white streamers as decorations
- cake decorated with snowflakes against blue icing
- let the kids build their own ice cream sundaes with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and silver/blue sugar crystals
- kids played Freeze tag in the yard
- Pin the nose on Olaf - made a large homemade Olaf and put it on a snowflake scrapbook page lined piece of cardboard (about 4' tall), made cutout carrots with the kids names on them, and played the game
- Do You Want To Build A Snowman - kids got into groups, chose a kid to be Olaf, and had to wrap them in paper towels, then tape the buttons and carrot nose onto them before the song ended
- Played Musical Snowflakes to Let It Go - basically musical chairs, but since it was outside, used laminated snowflake cutouts on the ground instead of chairs

They all had a lot of fun, and honestly don't think any of them noticed there was actually no official Anna/Elsa stuff there. We were kind of lucky the rain held off, otherwise it was probably all inside watching the movie and having the ice cream/cake inside.

I didn't think I'd love Frozen as much as I did, but I relate to it more than any other Disney film so far!

I'm baaaaaaack!

Well its been a month and all the records were thought to be done when Froze hit $1.1 Billion and #6 on the all time world wide gross list. Number 5 was $100 million beyond its reach.

Well, Frozen has moved into #5 ahead of Iron man 3 after being the #1 movie in Japan for th 11th week!! And it is still going strong!

Box office mojo says:
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3848&p=.htm

"Frozen held on to first place in Japan for the 11th weekend in a row. The movie now ranks fourth all-time there with $193.7 million. On a worldwide basis, it passed Iron Man 3 to become the top movie from 2013 and the fifth-biggest all-time. To date, the animated sensation has earned $1.22 billion."

Frozen is the biggest selling DVD and Blu-ray ever. The soundtrack has sold over 2.7 million copies. There is a new Disney on Ice Frozen that is selling out. Merchandise is getting better, but still in short supply. And it came out 6 months ago! Energizer bunny, eat your heart out.

It will be interesting to see how well the Frozen Ice show does and how Once Upon a Time with Frozen does next season. I have already read articles that talk about how Frozen is "the movie for this generation."

If you don't already like Frozen, give up now. We will join your distinctiveness to our collective. Resistance is futile.

:faint::crowded::faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter