What is wrong with people? Gun drawn during a parking lot dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both parties in the wrong. But as an adult how do you not have the ability to de-escalate a situation to the point where you need to point a gun in someones face? Reminds me of the Jerry Seinfeld episode "People with guns don't understand. That's why they get guns. Too many misunderstandings."

Based on the video there never was a point where this either party was in any real danger until the gun was pulled. If the lady was blocking the car call the police and wait. Even after the car bumping issue there looked to be room for them to drive off.

The couple never should have pulled their weapons, but the mom and daughter were the aggressors escalating this incident. The couple should have sat in their car and called the police. Once they could not back out safely, they should have been dialing 911 and let the police deal with the race baiting mom and daughter. They were just itching for a fight. I noticed that even with a gun pointed at her, the mom didn't seem scared at all. She just kept egging her on. Idiots all around.

Initially I was ready to say, "The people who pulled the guns were wrong," but after watching the video I don't think that's completely so.

- I wish we could see the interaction that started it all. Apparently the white woman bumped into the 15-year old girl as they were entering the restaurant? I don't see how this could become such an issue. Why couldn't both parties say, "Oh, excuse me," and walk on?
- If for no other reason, say "Excuse me" and walk on because -- as evidenced here -- some people are just plain crazy!
- According to the article, the teen says the white woman bumped into her and she (the teen) said, "Excuse you". Not the most polite thing to say, and not something that can be said without sarcasm. Then she says the white woman started cussing at her. Sounds pretty stupid on both sides -- both made a mountain out of a molehill /escalated something small into a big deal.
- When the video begins, the black mom and daughter are demanding an apology, but they won't let the white woman get a word in edgewise. They just keep screaming, "You're ignorant, you're ignorant."
- Definitely the black woman is the aggressor -- and her daughter isn't making things any better.
- I'm not buying self-defense (even though the woman's pregnant, and in other circumstances we might give her a little benefit of the doubt because of that). About a minute into the filming, she gets into the car. Her husband doesn't hurry to go to his side of the van. The woman then rolls down her window so she can argue some more. These aren't things you do if you're afraid.
- In the article the black woman says the white couple tried to run her over with their car. No, she saw them get into the car, and she moved /stood behind it. It looks like they're trying to leave /escape the situation, while she's trying to prevent them from leaving /trying to prolong the confrontation.
- The black woman is saying it's a racial thing, and at the end the daughter says, "They're white people. They're so racist." This doesn't seem to be a racial thing; rather, it seems to be a crazy person thing. On both sides.
- The white woman says, "White people aren't racist." I think she meant white people aren't automatically racist -- or fuss isn't about race. But what she actually said makes no sense.
- I halfheartedly agree that staying in the car and calling the police wouldn't have been an ideal choice -- not with the other woman literally banging on the car -- that's not assault, but it's something.
- The teen girl took the video? Why would she release it? It makes her mom look horrendously bad.

This is about a society that's gone too far towards "me first", and "what do you think you're looking at" and "you can't say that to me" and excessive egos all around. It's about people handling things like reality TV. It's about forgetting how to just be polite to one another. It's about people not being able to handle problems -- so they blow up into big problems.

Last edited:
Then get in the car, lock the doors and call the police. I’m sick of people waving guns around. I hate it.

Call the police? I could have sworn there is a movement going on now to defund the police of which the instigator in this incident is no doubt a part of.

If you can't call the police, and the woman is blocking you from leaving, yes you absolutely pull a gun and put the fear of God in them.

If you don't want someone to pull a gun on you, you keep your mouth shut and you go about your life without bothering others. Don't follow that golden rule at your own peril. People are just not going to put up with this nonsense anymore.

Call the police? I could have sworn there is a movement going on now to defund the police of which the instigator in this incident is no doubt a part of.

If you can't call the police, and the woman is blocking you from leaving, yes you absolutely pull a gun and put the fear of God in them.

If you don't want someone to pull a gun on you, you keep your mouth shut and you go about your life without bothering others. Don't follow that golden rule at your own peril. People are just not going to put up with this nonsense anymore.
You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about the principals involved here and how they feel about "defunding" police.

But pull/point a gun to stop an argument? You know that's kind of the reason why she's going to need a good lawyer now. In any case I don't quite think that the woman who pulled out the gun is advocating for defunding the police. And didn't they show up after all the 911 calls, only this time it wasn't to defuse anything but to arrest and confiscate the firearms?

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about the principals involved here and how they feel about "defunding" police.

But pull/point a gun to stop an argument? You know that's kind of the reason why she's going to need a good lawyer now. In any case I don't quite think that the woman who pulled out the gun is advocating for defunding the police. And didn't they show up after all the 911 calls, only this time it wasn't to defuse anything but to arrest and confiscate the firearms?

Everyone involved in the incident is going to need a lawyer which was instigated by the black woman. If someone bumps into your daughter and doesn't apologize, OH FRIGGIN WELL!! You move on with your life.

Then get in the car, lock the doors and call the police. I’m sick of people waving guns around. I hate it.
And I’m sick of people thinking that because they are of a certain race that they can cause a confrontation and then scream racism and expect to be painted as the victim when in fact they were the instigator.

Frankly, if I had a gun and was being threatened like that, I’d have pulled it too.

So to answer the original question “what is wrong with people?” Nothing is wrong as long as no one intentionally instigates a confrontation for no reason. Let’s keep our eye on the ball here people, and put the blame where it lies. On the instigator, not on the person defending herself.

As a 2A supporter, this couple undermines our efforts to hold onto our rights to bear arms. I hope that no one actually serves time for this, but it should have been avoided and will cost the gun owners thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars to clear up.

If you are going to carry, you are going to be held to a very high standard. You cannot let your emotions allow you to pull that gun. The second that you do, you are going to be judged - and you should be. Michigan is a state very supportive of 2A rights, but pulling their guns on an unarmed mother/daughter while being taped forced the police to arrest them.

This is a perfect example of why people shouldn't have the right to carry their firearms on them. Luckily, cooler heads prevailed and the woman got back in her car and drove away. It could have been a lot worse.
So by producing the firearm, cooler heads prevailed and the attacking mother allowed the pregnant woman to get back into her car and drive away? I agree, it could have been a lot worse without the firearm.

Not sure that's assault though, but that's just the internet lawyer in me. Does Michigan have a brandishing law?

I don't know about a brandishing law, but I know Oakland county has a prosecutor running for reelection.

- The teen girl took the video? Why would she release it? It makes her mom look horrendously bad.

They only tweeted the part from the gun on. The beginning of the video was released by the press. I think they were trying to goad her into sitting in her car and calling police so they could have a nice little video of Karen calling the police on black people for walking through the parking lot - but they weren't expecting the gun.

You'll notice once the gun comes out they were sweet as pie - saying they were just walking through the parking lot and tapped on the back of her car because she was about to hit her daughter. I don't think they expected anyone to see the beginning of it.

Pepper spray might also have been equally effective in this situation in getting the aggressor to back away from the pregnant woman.

Not equally. Pepper spray would temporarily have been more physically harmful to the aggressor than the firearm that produced only the intended result of escaping the situation.

The police haven't been defunded yet. They were still the appropriate authority to call in this case and all of the parties involved knew that...and so do you.

If anything, it's all a good lesson not to engage in stupid, gets nowhere. Attempt to shorten conversations, don't engage, leave the situation if possible, and defend if hands put on.

Walking away really is the best option and the gun toting woman did try her best. The other woman wasn’t having it though.

Reminds me of an incident last week when I was at the shore leaving our hotel to get to our car. We were walking on the sidewalk and there was a large family walking towards us and taking up the entire sidewalk. No big deal to us. We moved all the way over and scooched past them. I said excuse me but I wasn’t loud and they were speaking very loudly amongst themselves and not paying us any mind so I’m sure they didn’t hear me. Then one lady loudy says “oh I guess they don’t know how to say excuse me. I guess none of them know how to speak effen English.” And we’re all clearly Hispanic. One person with us says back “oh we speak English.” The rest of us didn’t care and just chuckled at her. And it ended there. Everyone kept walking in their own directions. I don’t know how it would’ve went had the lady made more comments but it could’ve gotten ugly quickly.

This seems like a huge assumption that I'm going to guess is based on the mother's race? I think you may have some racial biases you might want to reconsider.

So by producing the firearm, cooler heads prevailed and the attacking mother allowed the pregnant woman to get back into her car and drive away? I agree, it could have been a lot worse without the firearm.
Without the firearm she would have never gotten out of the van. The situation would have either naturally de-escalated or the police would have been called.

The couple were in their vehicle and the mother had no weapon. They were not in any mortal danger.

Walking away really is the best option and the gun toting woman did try her best. The other woman wasn’t having it though.

Reminds me of an incident last week when I was at the shore leaving our hotel to get to our car. We were walking on the sidewalk and there was a large family walking towards us and taking up the entire sidewalk. No big deal to us. We moved all the way over and scooched past them. I said excuse me but I wasn’t loud and they were speaking very loudly amongst themselves and not paying us any mind so I’m sure they didn’t hear me. Then one lady loudy says “oh I guess they don’t know how to say excuse me. I guess none of them know how to speak effen English.” And we’re all clearly Hispanic. One person with us says back “oh we speak English.” The rest of us didn’t care and just chuckled at her. And it ended there. Everyone kept walking in their own directions. I don’t know how it would’ve went had the lady made more comments but it could’ve gotten ugly quickly.

I can't ever understand what prompts people to act like that. Why was their stupid english comment necessary? Are people insecure or just naturally jerks? I'm the same way, just avoid and ignore, since you can't seem to teach people like that anything so engaging is fruitless. They just want to look "cool" or whatever I guess, I don't know. Especially since they were already the type to take up an entire sidewalk with no consideration or awareness for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter