What is your engagement ring like?

I went fairly minimalist, a 1 1/3 carat oval diamond in a gold circa 1980 solitaire setting, plain narrow gold wedding band.. DD's set is in platinum and a whole lot blingier. Her band has a lot of smaller diamonds. It's pretty but looks a bit uncomfortable for me.

My diamond setting is all wonky from 37 years of life. I should get it reset but it's the original setting and I'm attatched.

Teardrop shaped amethyst surrounded by tiny, teeny diamonds. I don't like diamonds...much prefer gemstones.

At the time of our engagement, I didn't get or want a ring. It was the second marriage for both of us, so we bought a swing set for the kids instead. So my "engagement" ring came on our 25th anniversary, from the pick-a-pearl in front of YC/BC. Pearl is my birthstone, so it was a good choice-

My original ring was very traditional, princess cut stone with diamond accents, ect. I never wore it because it was too tall and got caught on everything. This year was 15 years for us and for Christmas I got a new ring. I chose an openwork band with several diamonds set into the band. Its delicate, pretty and sits pretty flush to my hand so it doesn't catch on stuff. I am very happy with it.

We were young and poor when we got engaged- I picked a ring that technically was a delicate cocktail ring. Most people would say it was too small to be considered an engagement ring. It is yellow gold with a 1/4 carat center diamond and 2 very tiny diamonds on each side, forming a kind of diagonal line. I loved it then and love it now! We did upgrade the diamond for our 5 year anniversary to a 1/2 carat, but it is still small and delicate.

I originally had a plain, thin gold wedding band to pair with the engagement ring, but for our 25th anniversary, DH got me a channel set eternity ring with diamonds. It is a small carat weight, so it doesn't overwhelm the engagement ring, but it is sparkly and pretty.

We were young and poor when we got engaged almost 30 years ago. I have a .55 carat pear-shaped diamond with a yellow gold band. My wedding band is a comfort fir yellow gold band. I have thought about changing it over the years, especially now since it doesn't fit well anymore, but it has so much meaning that I can't bring myself to do it.

My engagement ring has 1/5 carat diamond with some extra baguette chips on the band. I chose it myself (along with soon to be dh of course) and didn't want anything bigger. I always wonder how people function with large diamonds on their fingers. I rarely wear mine because, even at it's size, it drives me nuts.

Oh, and we weren't particularly young or poor. It was just what I wanted. I still wouldn't get any bigger. (I wouldn't get an engagement ring now, but it was important to me then so I'm glad we did.)

Last edited:
My engagement ring has 1/5 carat diamond with some extra baguette chips on the band. I chose it myself (along with soon to be dh of course) and didn't want anything bigger. I always wonder how people function with large diamonds on their fingers. I rarely wear mine because, even at it's size, it drives me nuts.
With all of the advertising on how much you should spend on an engagement ring my DH told me later how scared he'd been when we went to pick mine out. He was so relieved I'd picked out such a modest ring. :rotfl:My ring was $345 and our bands were $100 and $115. Gold was pretty reasonable back then. Still we had to make payments on them.

I've always loved the colored stones - I still want a birthstone/mother's ring along the way, but my engagement ring was my grandmother's (not her original engagement ring, that was stolen before I was born). She wore it almost daily until she gave it to us for my ring. She told us we could sell it or reset or whatever I wanted, but I just had it resized (and have the prongs redone every 10ish years). She's been gone for a while, but her ring still brings me joy - because she loved seeing it on me. She always said she didn't want to wait until she died to give it to me. It's not small but I feel naked without it after 16 years.

Attachments

• 20170914_172317.jpg
    20170914_172317.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 113
I've always loved the colored stones - I still want a birthstone/mother's ring along the way, but my engagement ring was my grandmother's (not her original engagement ring, that was stolen before I was born). She wore it almost daily until she gave it to us for my ring. She told us we could sell it or reset or whatever I wanted, but I just had it resized (and have the prongs redone every 10ish years). She's been gone for a while, but her ring still brings me joy - because she loved seeing it on me. She always said she didn't want to wait until she died to give it to me. It's not small but I feel naked without it after 16 years.
It's not small is a bit of an understatement. :laughing:

1/2ct round solitaire. It's a Canadian diamond, which was important to me if we went with a diamond.

I have several rings, my original set, a custom made band, three stone, channel set band and they only come out for special occasions and nights out. For my 25th this year I picked out a dainty, diamond eternity band. I think I finally hit upon the "forever" ring. Unless I'm doing home improvement, dishes or putting lotion on it doesn't come off. I think you'll be happy with your choice. Happen to have a pic? It's sounds very pretty.
Here's a thumbnail - what do you think? :blush: . I'm excited to see it IRL!

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-14_17-51-7.png
    upload_2017-9-14_17-51-7.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 82
Mine is three-stone, lab-grown, fancy blue diamonds in a white gold setting. Lab-grown diamonds are no different from diamonds that are dug out of the ground, except they don't require mining which was important to me. The colorless diamonds in my wedding band are also lab-grown. The diamonds aren't dyed or irradiated, the blue color naturally occurs when a forming diamond is exposed to boron. (Nitrogen exposure produces yellow diamonds, hydrogen purple...)

image.jpeg

I also love tanzanite and have a gorgeous ring! But insure it; tanzanite is another very fragile stone; I have had really good luck with mine but my friend who owns a jewelry store has told me absolute horror stories about tanzanites just crumbling.

Mine is three-stone, lab-grown, fancy blue diamonds in a white gold setting. Lab-grown diamonds are no different from diamonds that are dug out of the ground, except they don't require mining which was important to me. The colorless diamonds in my wedding band are also lab-grown. The diamonds aren't dyed or irradiated, the blue color naturally occurs when a forming diamond is exposed to boron. (Nitrogen exposure produces yellow diamonds, hydrogen purple...)

View attachment 269770
That is a beautiful ring. :)

View attachment 269770
:thumbsup2 Snazzy!! My new unit has lab-created stones too, which are apparently chemically indistinguishable from natural ones. The sapphires are supposed to be almost as hard as diamonds, which is important to me. I was crushed by the way my original tourmaline deteriorated with daily wear, and because it wasn't a very valuable stone, I couldn't find a jeweller that would be bothered re-cutting it. :sad1:

Here's a thumbnail - what do you think? :blush: . I'm excited to see it IRL!
Beautiful! I love how the middle part wraps around the rest. Very nice.

View attachment 269770
Wow, this is a stunning set. You must get lots of compliments. I never knew there were blue diamonds. And there's purple? Be still my heart.

That is a beautiful ring. :)
Thank you. :-)

:thumbsup2 Snazzy!! My new unit has lab-created stones too, which are apparently chemically indistinguishable from natural ones. The sapphires are supposed to be almost as hard as diamonds, which is important to me. I was crushed by the way my original tourmaline deteriorated with daily wear, and because it wasn't a very valuable stone, I couldn't find a jeweller that would be bothered re-cutting it. :sad1:
Yep, the science behind the stones they can grow in a lab now is way cool, IMO.

That's a shame about your tourmaline. They're beautiful stones. I have a ring passed down from my grandmother that I think is a pink tourmaline. It's 80 years old, I'll have to be mindful to be more careful with it.

Wow, this is a stunning set. You must get lots of compliments. I never knew there were blue diamonds. And there's purple? Be still my heart.
Thanks! The Hope Diamond is a blue diamond, so I'm sure you've heard of them and just forgot. ;) And, of course, J.Lo had that famous pink diamond. They come in lots of colors, they're just a lot rarer than colorless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter