What is your opinion on the United Kingdom?

Yes it's just not something you see here at except maybe in the Toronto area. Or I guess Ottawa/Hull maybe?

Moliphino it's just not a common thing here. Our metro areas tend to be amalgamated under once city council with individual neighbourhoods not separate towns. Hard to picture a town right next to another one. To me that's a suburb. Guess it's just all in the wording.

It is a town and a suburb of the nearby city. Most of the towns were established before the city was a city (the city was settled in the 1600s, but not incorporated as a city until the 1850s).

Chinese, Japanese.
My Chinese grandmother had my dad with a Japanese soldier. My grandfather was sent back to Japan at the end of the war and she raised my dad as a single mom. My dad tried to look for him after he finished college but he already passed away.
My dad told me about this couple of years ago. I never knew about my Japanese ancestry, no one has ever said anything about it. My brother probably doesn't even know. It's nice to be able to acknowledge my Japanese ancestry.

Last edited:

I know someone who is Chinese Jamaican as well. :) I really need to look more into the history of the Asian immigration to the West Indies. I am sure the history in quite interesting.
It boils down to “the sun never setting over the British Empire“, sugar, the Panama Canal, and inexpensive labour. There are many scholarly treatises but few firsthand popular books that flesh out the story. I just read whatever I can get my hands on. I have heard that the Jamaican Genealogical Institute has info or access to it for all the British West Indies.
As an anecdote, an uncle bastardized himself in order to enter this country. “Lost” his father’s Asian name and took on his mother’s maiden name in order to make it through Immigration as at the time the Chinese Exclusionary Act was still in force.
Happy hunting and research!

On my Mom's side my ancestors came over during the Irish Potato Famine in the 1840s, and from Germany sometime after, recent enough that my great-great grandfather was mad that my great-grandfather didn't fight for Germany instead of the US in WWI. On my Dad's side they came over from Italy around 1900 and Lithuania around WWI. My grandfather was first generation American. I am *probably* 1/4 Italian and 1/4 Irish and a good dose of Lithuanian and German. Who knows what else...

My last name should have been Heinz, 'coz I'm 57 varieties.

As an anecdote, an uncle bastardized himself in order to enter this country. “Lost” his father’s Asian name and took on his mother’s maiden name in order to make it through Immigration as at the time the Chinese Exclusionary Act was still in force.
Happy hunting and research!
Wow! My family name was changed as well during immigration. Part of the original family name was taken off most likely for the same reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter