What kind of Halloween candy do your kids want to receive?

Best Aunt

"That's the best-est present ever!"
I think I will be home on Halloween this year, and kids around here still trick or treat. What kind of candy do your kids want to receive? I might as well buy what will make kids happy.

Brands often introduce a slight twist, and I don't know if kids these days like the newfangled stuff.

Example: it used to be just a Snickers bar. Now there's also Snickers & Hazelnut. Snickers Almond. Snickers Peanut Butter. Snickers Crisper, not to be confused with Snickers Peanut Butter Crisper. Snickers Xtreme.

I think I will be home on Halloween this year, and kids around here still trick or treat. What kind of candy do your kids want to receive? I might as well buy what will make kids happy.

Brands often introduce a slight twist, and I don't know if kids these days like the newfangled stuff.

Example: it used to be just a Snickers bar. Now there's also Snickers & Hazelnut. Snickers Almond. Snickers Peanut Butter. Snickers Crisper, not to be confused with Snickers Peanut Butter Crisper. Snickers Xtreme.

My kids are too old to Trick or Treat, but classic chocolate candy was always a hit-Snickers, Twix, Milky Way, Three Musketeers, Hershey bar with or without almond.

Coconut was not popular, nor Mary Jane's or hard candies. Nor peanut butter kisses.

Starbursts, Nerds, sour patch, gummies all good non chocolate choices.

Bonus if they got a snack size doritos, gold fish crackers when really young or oreos or chocolate chip cookies that could go in a lunch box.

I will pass out candy, but good grief it's super hard to do now that we are heavily encouraged by marketing to have Teal Pumpkins in our window so the kids with allergies can ask for a non-food treat... so then you have to buy plastic trinkets in bulk... *rolls eyes*

Everything has to be labelled and clearly nut-free, everything has to be individually packaged. Gone are the days of homemade treats and baggies of candy corn or other bulk candies with pretty ribbons...
Anything labelled nut-free is more expensive, other options aren't even really sold anymore in individual packaging... kids don't want the store-branded candy, they want the Expensive Brand Name.
and of course, the kids all want to go to the houses that give out FULL size chocolate bars (like the average person can afford that, they're usually >$1 apiece!).

We have less and less TOTs each year so it's a guessing game on how much to buy. I don't want a ton of candy leftover in my house to tempt my snacking LOL

I gave up this year and just bought a box of 36 full sized Hersey candy bars at Costco. We have less and less kids coming each year. Last year I bought two large bags of mixed chocolates at Costco and wound up eating a bag and half after Halloween.

MJ

Preferably Kit Kat so I can steal them ;)

DD actually prefers gummy candy, but generally I think anything chocolate is a hit.

I gave up this year and just bought a box of 36 full sized Hersey candy bars at Costco. We have less and less kids coming each year. Last year I bought two large bags of mixed chocolates at Costco and wound up eating a bag and half after Halloween.

MJ

I like that idea - we also get fewer and fewer each year and I make DH take the leftovers to work. I'm going to keep track this year and maybe do this next year!

I will pass out candy, but good grief it's super hard to do now that we are heavily encouraged by marketing to have Teal Pumpkins in our window so the kids with allergies can ask for a non-food treat... so then you have to buy plastic trinkets in bulk... *rolls eyes*

Everything has to be labelled and clearly nut-free, everything has to be individually packaged. Gone are the days of homemade treats and baggies of candy corn or other bulk candies with pretty ribbons...
Anything labelled nut-free is more expensive, other options aren't even really sold anymore in individual packaging... kids don't want the store-branded candy, they want the Expensive Brand Name.
and of course, the kids all want to go to the houses that give out FULL size chocolate bars (like the average person can afford that, they're usually >$1 apiece!).

We have less and less TOTs each year so it's a guessing game on how much to buy. I don't want a ton of candy leftover in my house to tempt my snacking LOL

There are a lot of nut-free candy options. Skittles, jolly ranchers, Starburst, Smartees,Lifesavers, etc.

Something, anything that's NOT chocolate. It seems like all that's passed out around here is chocolate, primarily Snickers, Milky way, and 3 Musketeers. There's really only so much chocolate you can eat, and it gets boring when it's 90% the same 3 kinds. They love the little bags of chips, goldfish, pretzels, etc (which are great especially for the little trick or treaters who may not be able to eat much candy), any kind of gummy candy, suckers, the Wonka bag mixes that you can sometimes find with Gobstoppers and Runts. Target is selling character-themed bags of candy with shaped gummies and suckers- 60 pcs for $5, and it's good quality candy (and also really appeals to little ones). Some good non-candy options are glow sticks, juice boxes, mini slim jims, fruit snacks.

I have no kids, but I can speak fro myself when I say the big hits when I was little were the classic candy bars, particularly 3 Musketeers or Milky Way for me. I have always loved dark chocolate and I know they have "dark" variants of these today (not when I was little), so that would have gone over well with me. Almond Joy or Mounds were good too, but I had to pay the "coconut tax" to my Grandfather because those were his favorites (and don't worry eh left plenty for me - but he always claimed a couple). I can't recall anyone ever giving out full-size bars, but it seems to me that our "fun size" bars were bigger than they are today. Maybe I was just smaller. These days it seems that they're hardly even "fun size" but just the little single bite square ones, based on what they sell in the stores.

Reece Cups are all three of my kids' favorites. Obviously, no peanut allergies in my house. I usually give out plain Hershey because they like those, too. I never complain when they get Almond Joys because I steal those!!

Skittles, M&Ms, Reeses Peanut Butter cups, Snickers, Nestle Crunch, Hershey chocolate bars, Reeses Pieces, Twizzlers, Milky Way, Gummy bears, Three Musketeers.

Skip the generic brand stuff.

My kids love just about everything, but I'd say their favorites are: Kit Kats or Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. I usually give out Reeses and then I have something else on hand in a different bowl for the kids with nut allergies: something like Skittles or Starburst

This will be our first year without anyone trick-or-treating for a long time. My kids always preferred the chocolate bars, but getting a variety from different houses is nice. (Almond Joy are neither of my kids' favorite, but they are Grandpa's favorite and my kids used to pick them specifically to save for Grandpa. With four grandkids, sometimes he got quite the Halloween haul!)

Pre-braces, DS's favorite were Skittles and the vanilla Tootsie rolls. Kit Kats are also a huge fav here.

I find that younger kids these days are often scared of peanuts, they hear a lot about how dangerous they can be, but often don't understand what allergies really are. Bottom line is, I don't buy anything peanut for Halloween, because it doesn't get taken.

I always allow kids to choose what they want from the basket, so I get a pretty good idea of what they actually like. IME, the things that tend to move fastest are Plain Hersey Minis, Nestle Crunch Minis, KitKats, 3 Musketeer minis, and Skittles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter