What level of education do your parents have?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
As we have the threads about parents jobs , what about parents education

I think one has a degree and one left school at 16.

Father-graduated high school. Went to a community college for two years. I supposed he got an Associate's degree or whatever the equivalent was at the time. After a stint in the army and getting married, he completed his Bachelor's degree by taking night classes while working days.

Mother-was forced to drop out of high school the day after she turned 16. According to her father, "girls don't need an education." This would have been about 1948. She had to get a job and help support her siblings, which included her older brother's college tuition. After she married my father, she went back to get her diploma or GED. A combination of night classes and the on-line school of the era, correspondence courses.

My grandfather relented on the girls don't need an education BS a bit because he let his younger daughter complete high school. But no college, unlike all four boys in the family.

Father dropped out of high school to enter the Navy. He was 16 (this was in the late 30s)
Mother also left high school along with her sister and moved from ID to CA. (early 40s)

Mom had HS diploma but she took extra classes and graduated a year early so she could get married in 1957. My dad dropped out of school after 8th grade and went to work for his dad's coal company then went in the military when he was 16 or 17 (he lied about his age, obviously). This would have been in the early 1950's. I am biologically their granddaughter, and I was the first person in my family to go to college.

Father completed Bachelors degree after retirement from military, 6 months before he died.

Mother (started college on dad's prompting before he died) - Masters degree (all the while working full time and raising 3 kids).

Both of them would have been 100 this year.

Last edited:
Dad - I think is has a BS/BA. I know he refussed to take a religions course so he couldn't get his Physical Therapy degree. He worked as an orderly at a couple local hospitals. When we moved he had a harder time getting a position and ended up working as a janitor for the school district until he retired.

Mom - HS graduate with some college courses thrown in. Mom didn't work much while I was growing up. Then she worked in retail and as an aide for the mentally handicapped.

Neither of my parents went to college.

My mom: Enrolled in college but eventually dropped out after getting married and then having children.
My dad: Was the first in his family to graduate high school. He wanted to be an accountant, but couldn’t afford college so he enlisted in the Navy and served for thirty years!

This was in the early 80’s.

Both were high school graduates and after college completed what was known as “business school” in the early 1950s.

My dad dropped out of high school 3 months before graduation.
My mom was expelled her junior year of HS when she married my dad. My grandfather was very strict and wouldn't let her date so she got married and was kicked out of school. She later got her GED.

My Mother graduated from high school (in 1935). My Father didn't. He was pulled out of school and sent to work to contribute to his family finances during the Depression.

Mother is an RN - bachelors degree
Father has an Engineering degree and then got his MBA about 45 years after that

Mommy dropped out of college before she was married as she thought emulating Donna Reed would be the answer to any further life questions. She admitted to being wrong about that after her marriage ended, LOL.
She completed a vocational certification as a beautician, followed by a 4 year degree in Liberal Arts with a minor in some sort of business after the divorce. Some years later after closing her fabric store she became a docent for a museum's textile department and took additional college courses for that.

My father was a lawyer by the time he met Mom. Took 6 years to complete his advanced schooling. After their divorce he was working on a Masters in Banking and Finances but died prior to completion.

My mom has a Master's Degree. My dad finished everything for an undergraduate except his foreign language credits - he was 6 hours of foreign language short of graduating college.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter