• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Park Did You Get Your GAC In?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our plan is to use Fast Passes as much as possible and only use GAC in emergency situations. If we are allowed to bring the stroller in line that will eliminate most meltdowns. She feels safe in her stroller.

BethanyF said:
And we had one CM refuse to give Sam the alternate waiting area even when it was obvious he was having a meltdown because of the crush of people. He told us 'if he can't handle the crowd, there is the door, he will have to leave' This was at Honey, I Shrunk The Audience where there was an alternate waiting area that was not crowded.
That was handled badly by the CM, but I wonder if what you thought was an alternate waiting area actually was.
The preshow area for HISTA has a large, sort of ramped area that goes down toward the screen. On the left side (as you face the screen), there is a small waiting area that is separated off from the "floor" by half walls. People might think it is a quieter alternate waiting area, but it is actually a waiting area for people using wheelchairs. When the doors open, the only row that is accessible inside the theater is the wheelchair row (which has quite a few spots without seats for wheelchairs/ECVs to be parked, but there are only a few seats). When we have gone to HISTA, they have limited the people allowed into that area to the person with a wheelchair, plus one other member of their party. The rest of our party had to wait in the regular waiting area.
I'm thinking that might be the area that the CM would not allow you to go in.
No excuse for the CM to be rude, but at least I might be able to explain what the space was.

SueM in MN said:
That was handled badly by the CM, but I wonder if what you thought was an alternate waiting area actually was.
....snip....
I'm thinking that might be the area that the CM would not allow you to go in.
No excuse for the CM to be rude, but at least I might be able to explain what the space was.
It was the wheelchair area that I asked to use (we had used wheelchair areas at other shows) There was only 1 person in a chair in the area, and they had already started the preshow, so it wasnt like we were going to take spots away from someone in a wheelchair. And if someone had comne in, I would have given up the spot for them.
Also, I was not asking or expecting to be seated in the wheelchair area, just to wait in that area so Sam could have a little breathing room. Once we got into the theater, he would have been fine in his own seat. It was the crush of people around him that was a problem. We even tried making a larger space around him (me, dh & my 2 aunts) and we were told to squeeze in. No matter what we did, this one CM would give us grief.
I also asked if we could just stand off to the side and he insisted we 'sqeeze in like everyone else' and 'there is nothing' he could do to help us. I really got the impression he didnt believe Sam had a reason to have a GAC, he looked at us like Sam was just a spoiled kid throwing some sort of tantrum.
This was the only real problem we encountered the entire trip and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It took Sam almost 40 minutes to calm down completely and he still tells me he is sad becuase he didnt get to see the show.

BethanyF said:
It was the wheelchair area that I asked to use (we had used wheelchair areas at other shows) There was only 1 person in a chair in the area, and they had already started the preshow, so it wasnt like we were going to take spots away from someone in a wheelchair. And if someone had comne in, I would have given up the spot for them.
Also, I was not asking or expecting to be seated in the wheelchair area, just to wait in that area so Sam could have a little breathing room. Once we got into the theater, he would have been fine in his own seat. It was the crush of people around him that was a problem. We even tried making a larger space around him (me, dh & my 2 aunts) and we were told to squeeze in. No matter what we did, this one CM would give us grief.
I also asked if we could just stand off to the side and he insisted we 'sqeeze in like everyone else' and 'there is nothing' he could do to help us. I really got the impression he didnt believe Sam had a reason to have a GAC, he looked at us like Sam was just a spoiled kid throwing some sort of tantrum.
This was the only real problem we encountered the entire trip and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It took Sam almost 40 minutes to calm down completely and he still tells me he is sad becuase he didnt get to see the show.
I don't think I made myself clear about that particular area -
If you wait in the wheelchair area for the preshow for HISTA, when you enter the theater, you are in the wheelchair seating area. The wheelchair seating area is separated from the rest of the theater and you can't move between that area and the rest of the theater.
Many of the other wheelchair seating areas are not set up like that; once you get into the theater, you can go freely between back row/wheelchair area and the rest of the theater.

I have seen people standing along the wall toward the back during the preshow, so I don't know why the CM wouldn't let you do that (he was rude). I do know they seem to really try to squeeze people in for that preshow (which I don't really understand since the preshow has nothing to do with the show, so it's not like you need to see it to understand the show.)

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add something that might help. I have purchased and made cards about my children's autism. I have 2 kids a boy and a girl. Both "can" look like perfectly behaved children. But if a baby or child cries, my son more often than not, will become overly upset and scream and cry. I made cards(in case she gets lost) that have explained that my daughter will likely only repeat questions. Therefore it is important to immediately call my cell phone and not waste time asking her questions. It also explains a little about Autism. I have ordered cards that give an explanation of why a child might be having a meltdown. Let me know if you would like more information on them. I have not had a problem getting or using a GAC at any of the parks.

As far as actually getting the GAC, if you are going to the MK anyway, just go there. The only line would be at the Guest Services when the park opens up. We usually get ours the night before we plan to go to a park, it saves time. When we were at BWV, we would just walk to the International Gateway. The MK is harder because DS, autistic, did not understand why we were at the front gate and didn't go in. :confused3

stenickar said:
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add something that might help. I have purchased and made cards about my children's autism. I have 2 kids a boy and a girl. Both "can" look like perfectly behaved children. But if a baby or child cries, my son more often than not, will become overly upset and scream and cry. I made cards(in case she gets lost) that have explained that my daughter will likely only repeat questions. Therefore it is important to immediately call my cell phone and not waste time asking her questions. It also explains a little about Autism. I have ordered cards that give an explanation of why a child might be having a meltdown. Let me know if you would like more information on them. I have not had a problem getting or using a GAC at any of the parks.

Steinckar - as an ex-cast member I just want to say what a SPECTACULAR idea this is! And hopefully, other parents will do something similar or adapt this idea to fit their particular situation.

If your child does manage to get seperated from you, the CM will probably be extremely greatful to have such a wonderful explanation of how to correctly/ effetively interact with you children! (Especially being able to call you cell phone!) I know I would have been helped greatly by this, more than once!

Thanks. the cards are really good for handing to people when the child is having a meltdown. The parent/caregiver really does not have the time to try and explain what is happening. And with my son, if he is having a rough time, talking makes the situation worse. So, even well meaning people trying to help can make the situation escalate. My daughter would say yes to everything or just repeat back to the CM what they asked her. Even though she is verbal, if you ask her what her name is she doesn't usually tell you unless prompted by the adult with her. So as you can see both kids present with interesting issues. They keep my creative juices going, trying to think one step ahead of them and their needs at all times.

The GAC is actually issued to the person with special needs (even if it is a child), so you do need to bring the person with you. I have heard of one situation where the CMs issued a GAC when the person was just outside of Guest Relations (the CM could see the child, but the parent did not want to bring the child in), but someone coming in to request a GAC without the person would almost always be refused.

My son has aspergers and gets upset and can have meltdowns when he hears someone talking about the issues he has. When we went to Disney I had him wait inside guest relations with my husband. They stood off to the side while I talked to the CM. The CM asked where my child was and I pointed my son out and explained why he wasn't standing with me. The CM had no problem with my son being off to the side. HTH.

i wish we had known about this /possibility of this as an option our last trip this past jan...PUT it this way....we "usually" go every SPRING...well after our last trip this past spring with my son...we are *NOT* going this spring and in fact are going ALONE this month without the kids...."IF" we go again with the kids, we will have to look into this....thanks

We are planning our first trip for summer '08, with 10-y/o ADHD and 8-y/o autism. I'm probably going to take a dr note along even if we don't need it, although I'm guessing that DS will be in full-flapping mode ;) and it should be perfectly obvious what's up with him.

I had read somewhere about buying a lanyard ahead of time with a plastic pouch and putting the GAC card in there so it's visable and handy. I think DS will put up with wearing it, especially if we let him pin-trade a little. I was thinking about also putting a piece of paper in the pouch with his name and our cell# (which we will have with us) should he get seperated. He is verbal and when he is calm can tell you his name and our names, but I don't know how he'd handle it if he got scared. The hanging GAC card should be enough of a heads-up for a cast member, shouldn't it? I am hesitant in some ways because that's also giving information to "strangers" but it's a calculated risk-- does that seem like a good idea?

Steinckar, there is a guy on e-bay that sells business cards similar to what you're describing. I used to carry some with me for when we would get "that look" at the store. We called them the "kiss-off cards". Actually, that's not exactly what we called them :rolleyes2 (cough cough), but you get the idea.

Just fell and injured my leg and aggravated a ruptured disc. I may not present with symptoms at Guest Relations, but I know after a few hours I will not be able to stand in lines and walking will be limited. A wheelchair is really our last resort.

What accomodations should I ask for beyond the ability to sit down while waiting or not stand in line?

Of course, we will Fast Pass as much as we can.

Thanks.

:thumbsup2

Normally for mobility/stamina problems the response from Guest Relations is to suggest renting a wheelchair or ECV. You are probably best off renting an ECV from an off-site location for the entire stay. One very important facet of this is if you wait until you are exhausted and in pain to get a wc or ECV you will still be in pain.

If you have not yet done so, click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including where people rent ECVs.

JWhat accomodations should I ask for beyond the ability to sit down while waiting or not stand in line?

Of course, we will Fast Pass as much as we can.

Thanks.

:thumbsup2
As Cheshire Figment mentioned, there is information on GACs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread that should answer your question. If you do end up with a wheelchair or ECV, you would not need a GAC because you would be sitting in lines and waiting. Most lines are wheelchair/ECV accessible.

Even if you do get a GAC, that only takes into account the lines. You would still be in pain while walking and standing around getting to things (which is at least an equal portion of the day compaired to the time you will spend in lines).

Any accomidations that are on the GAC (like a place to sit while waiting) are not necessarily available at each attraction. For example, for some of the shows (like Hall of Presidents, for example), there are some benches available, but they are first come, first serve. If they are already occupied when you arrive, you won't have a place to sit.
Most of the rides don't have a provision for seating in the line. The lines are usually slowly moving forward all the time, so most have no place where you could sit.

You might want to take the phone numbers of the different off-site ECV/wheelchair rental places with you (they are listed in the disABILITIES FAQs thread). That way, if you end up needing one during your trip, you have some option besides just renting at the parks. And, it will be available for use around the resort and getting to and from the resort to the parks.

Thanks for the input. I am feeling better each day. 14 days until we arrive in Orlando. Hopefully it will be much better. Great advice on taking the information on the rentals with us. Will do.

:woohoo:

We got ours in EPCOT, DS is on the spectrum as well and there was little to no wait, it took a little time finding it though, it is to the left of spaceship Earth as you look at it.

And did you experience any problems? We are arriving on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and want to visit a park that evening. Is MK the best park to obtain a GAC or would it be okay to get it at Epcot or the Studios?

I got mine in MGM and it was good for the full length of stay for any park. No problems at all!!!! You can get a GAC in any park.

I had read somewhere about buying a lanyard ahead of time with a plastic pouch and putting the GAC card in there so it's visable and handy. I think DS will put up with wearing it, especially if we let him pin-trade a little. I was thinking about also putting a piece of paper in the pouch with his name and our cell# (which we will have with us) should he get seperated. He is verbal and when he is calm can tell you his name and our names, but I don't know how he'd handle it if he got scared. The hanging GAC card should be enough of a heads-up for a cast member, shouldn't it? I am hesitant in some ways because that's also giving information to "strangers" but it's a calculated risk-- does that seem like a good idea?

Can someone shed some light on this for me. I have an ASD daughter. We take her to DL all of the time and she is issued a GAC card. I have an AMAZING lanyard that I bought to carry her GAC in. She does not wear it, I do. It is a problem if the child is not wearing the lanyard. There is NO WAY she would wear the lanyard, especially in the FL heat.

So basically my question is, at WDW, my daughter is not required to be the one wearing the lanyard is she???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter