What Park Did You Get Your GAC In?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the cast member has to do is see the card. It can be in your wallet, in a lanyard or in your pocket. It does not matter who is holding the GAC and showing the GAC as long as the person whose name is on the GAC is actually going to partake in the show, ride or view parades and fireworks.

At DLR you do not need the lanyard either. It is handy when you have kids and stuff but I used to keep mine in a zipper on the outside of my purse or in my pants poket or jacket pocket.

I am loopy right now so I was going to say they do not care if it is glued to your forehead but they have to be able to see the card and some might want to hold the card if they are having seeing the GAC, lol. I have been tempted to glue mine to my forehead because I would put them in one place then not find them so then end up hunting. Lanyard is a great idea.

hugs
Laurie

Many people keep the GAC in a purse or pocket of a backpack or fanny pack.
No one needs to see it until you are showing it to the CM at an attraction.

The GAC is issued to your daughter, in her name, so she does need to be there when it is used (since it was issued to assist with her needs). But, she doesn't have to wear it or hold it herself.

If you have not read the information about GACs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, I would suggest you read that. The disABILITIES FAQs thread is near the top of this Board and the GAC information is in post #6 of that thread.

Many people keep the GAC in a purse or pocket of a backpack or fanny pack.
No one needs to see it until you are showing it to the CM at an attraction.

The GAC is issued to your daughter, in her name, so she does need to be there when it is used (since it was issued to assist with her needs). But, she doesn't have to wear it or hold it herself.

If you have not read the information about GACs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, I would suggest you read that. The disABILITIES FAQs thread is near the top of this Board and the GAC information is in post #6 of that thread.

Yes I have read it. Thank you for posting all of that info. Everything seems like the process in DL. I was just worried that for some reason at WDW she would have to wear some sort of pass, that would not go over too well.

Thanks for all of the info!

One tip to make sure about the GAC is to keep it in a ziploc bag to keep it from ruining too much. If this was mentioned before, I apologize.

I've gotten GACs at MK, Epcot, AK and the Studios... never had a problem. I've never had a letter. I go to the guest relations office w. my son. When I get to the CM I tell him/her "My son here has autism. He needs a GAC for -" and I list the things I need. I smile, am nice and always, always thank the CM for their help. Not once have I ever, thankfully, had a problem in getting the GAC or using it. The only problems I've ever had have been from other patrons occasionally griping about us getting through the line quicker on occasion. (We often ended up w/ a shorter wait, yes, but not always, and we never expected it, but were always grateful when it happened.)

My goodness, this is a thread I started almost 3 years ago! We just completed our 3rd trip with a GAC for our daughter and it doesn't matter what park you get your GAC in. This year it was the MK. What did help was bringing our GAC from last year.

We have gotten our Gac's at every park, but Epcot. It just depends which park we hit first.

We always have the DR note, but have yet to show it.
That is the usual.
If you choose to show them your Dr letter, you can. But, they can't require you to have a doctor's note in the United States in order to get accommodation you need because of a disability.

Im reading this thread and was just curious about a GAC for fireworks and parades? I get how they would work for attractions, but how do tehy work for parades?

The GAC is for Theme Park attractions only.

It is not for transportation, restaurants, parades, fireworks viewing, anything at the Resorts, anything at the Water Parks, or anything outisde of the Theme Parks.

And what would you expect it to do anyway?

It is designed for invisible conditions which do not involve stamina or mobility.

Is it worth taking your GAC from the previous year. I still have my sons and I can explain what we need and show them this is the pass we got many times in the past??

We got ours at EPCOT and the guest services CM told me definitely hold on to it and show it to them on our next trip. Maybe if they see you had one before, they trust it's still a need.

We have been going to WDW for six years now. :grouphug: I never knew about
the GAC. I have Lupus and severe Vertigo. I can not stay in the sun
for very long nor can I walk stairs. I have a disability card should
I show it to the CM?

We are going again for free dining this August :cheer2:

We have visited twice with DS8. The first time we got our GAC at MK. We brought a note, but didn't need it. Last year we brought the previous GAC which made the process very quick and easy - we got that one at AK. I plan to do the same this year at Epcot. It's helpful not to have to go through the whole explanation in front of him now that he's 8 and more aware of when people are talking about him.

MamaMo

You do not have to show anything at Guest Relations. All you need to do is mention something to the effect of: "I have disabilities and cannot do stairs and cannot do prolonged stays in the sun" and let it go at that. If the card given to you is not sufficient you can later return and state that "I feel my need for 'x' was not met by the card". Just be aware that the official accommodation for mobility/stamina issues is the recommendation that you rent a wheelchair or ECV.

My wife has an agressive form of MS (multiple sclerosis). This week she just had a "flare-up".

The heat and standing in line will greatly effect her. She is extremly resistant to getting a wc or EVC. I have talked her into getting a GAC and we have a letter from her Dr.

We will use FP as much as we can, but I have heard that the FP's are running out pretty early right now. Can we use the GAC on a FP ride when the FP's are gone?

I am having some real concerns on this trip and have even thought about cancelling due to the flare-up. My DW won't want to cancel and my kids would be devastated. I just have to really manage our expectations and what we can accomplish.

Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter