What Resorts Do You Refuse to Stay At?

I have to agree.

We booked a cabin at Fort Wilderness months before they announced the dog policy. We are a family of 6 so we are limited in where we can stay, and we are going for the marathon weekend so our dates are not at all flexible. Of course, nothing else is available, so we are staying with the cabin. But going forward, if they keep the dog policy, I won't be able to stay there. :(
Just curious...I know that the Fort has always allowed dogs. Did the cabins used to be exempt from this?

I’d have to say that I would not want to stay at Ft Wilderness, because I don’t like to camp. However, I wouldn’t mind staying at one of the cabins.

The only place I wouldn't stay would be FW in a tent/pop up site. We enjoy camping but only in an rv or cabin. I would prefer not to stay at the values, but would if we needed to. With the refurb at POP I would consider there first. Also due to allergies we would avoid the resorts that are now accepting dogs.

I don't think I would refuse any resort - IF somebody else pays :))) (though tent on the camp grounds would not work for sure, but they are not RESORT really).

We stayed in Port Orleans French Quarter, in Animal Kingdom, Yacht Club and Grand Floridian. Each of them was very nice in their own way, we enjoyed every trip.

But if I have to choose and pay myself - I didn't really like the rooms in French Quarter too much: I like light, and the rooms were kinda dark all the time. Also those outside doors are not my favorites. Though if the trip is mostly parks - who cares.

I think the forever favorite for us was the Animal Kingdom. It's AMAZING resort: the design, the animals, the restaurants.

But for our upcoming couple trip in December we are trying Boardwalk for 3 days, and also staying for one night in Main Building in Grand Floridian. Because it is Christmas. And also we plan to spend a lot of time in Epcot. I am sure we will love the Boardwalk too!!

Interesting you didn't find the rooms at AKL dark. I loved it the time we stayed there, but those were the darkest rooms I've ever stayed in (other than in interior cruise cabin).

Personally, I stay away from the Value resorts as well as most of the DVC options (meaning I will stay at BC but not BCV).

Interesting you didn't find the rooms at AKL dark. I loved it the time we stayed there, but those were the darkest rooms I've ever stayed in (other than in interior cruise cabin).

Actually - yes, they are "dark" :)))

But somehow it didn't bother me. Maybe because they have this dark wood everywhere but there is still plenty of natural light? And all that design kind of goes with the African theming.

The rooms in Port Orleans didn't have any windows as I recall (it was a while ago when we stayed there)? Or maybe the window just looked into the gallery together with the door?

I guess I am just totally fascinated with the design in Animal Kingdom Lodge and Villas. I like them - no matter what.

Last edited:

It's all about the money for me. I will usually stay value or at a cheaper moderate, since I spend so much time in the parks and other resorts. I typically get a waterpark ticket if it's not winter, so that takes care of my swimming needs. I really consider all the All-Stars and Pop Century as being the same quality, except at Pop you can walk to AoA (which price wise can't even be considered a value).

The Port Orleans resorts usually have good deals if you book early enough, so those two are probably my favorite moderates. I have nothing against any deluxe resort except the price. I would love to try Animal Kingdom, Boardwalk, Contemporary Tower and Grand Floridian, but they are typically price prohibitive.

Actually - yes, they are "dark" :)))

But somehow it didn't bother me. Maybe because they have this dark wood everywhere but there is still plenty of natural light? And all that design kind of goes with the African theming.

The rooms in Port Orleans didn't have any windows as I recall (it was a while ago when we stayed there)? Or maybe the window just looked into the gallery together with the door?

I guess I am just totally fascinated with the design in Animal Kingdom Lodge and Villas. I like them - no matter what.

Port Orleans definitely has windows. Like any other moderate, they look out onto the outside hallways.

Amazed at all those who say "no" to Fort Wilderness. I am not an outdoorsy kind of person but I do love this place.

We are renting an RV for the spring and very excited.
I was hesitant the first time we stayed at the cabins, but we had a family of five with a baby and needed the extra bedroom. I was surprised at how much I loved it- and everyone else did, too.

It is probably not the place for people who just want to visit the parks and just need a place to sleep. But if you enjoy resort time, the Fort is a destination in and of itself. I’d be happy staying there for a week and never setting foot inside the parks.

why? I'm curious as I've only ever stayed at DVC...what am i missing!
I’ll jump in and say that I never have interest in staying DVC for a few reasons.

First, DVC is just more expensive than the regular rooms. Same general resort amenities, but more expense (compare AKV to AKL rooms). And we typically don’t need a second bedroom or bathroom- and certainly not worth the asking price for us.

Second, you don’t get two actual beds in the studio rooms in many of the DVC resorts (I know there are one or two exceptions to this).

Third, DVC at AK (Kidani) does not have as beautiful a lobby as Jambo House. DVC feels more like a condo than a resort ( and no mousekeeping).

I have often looked at DVC rooms on Disney’s site, and even researched renting points, but I have never, in all my years of searching, found any DVC room for the price that could stand up to regular resort rooms- at least for our family and our wants and needs.

That being said, I wouldn’t refuse to stay DVC. I just have always found better values that were not DVC. And I’m all about the value.

Never ever again any all star hotels. They are not resorts. Last time I stayed there in 2001 it was such a hassle to wait for the bus and takes forever to get to MK plus no real dining options and too noisy. The Contemporary works best for us. 3 great restaurants, bars to relax with a drink, great water activities, boat rentals etc. etc. Combine that with theme park view in main tower and a short walk to MK, monorail to TTC to transfer to the Epcot monorail makes it my #1 choice. Then the bonus of watching the fireworks from the balcony makes it magical.

I don't do Values either, or 1/2 the mods... and maybe two DVC properties.

All Star Sports
All Star Music
All Star Movies
Pop Century
Port Orleans French Quarter
Saratoga Springs
Old Key West
Your list is the same as mine except I'd add Animation, and Caribbean beach.

We've never booked a value because we want Queen/King beds. I'm not sure I'd stay at CBR again either. It just isn't calling me back. Still, when making our plans I look at all the options and then just opt away from those mentioned. If they were the only options I'd probably change our plans, not because of the hotels, but because it might indicate severe overcrowding for those dates. :rotfl:

I made the mistake of having my husband stay at AKL for a night and then at AoA for a night a month later ... he LOVED AKL, but upon our arrival at AoA he was upset that we were in separate beds and then was SUPER upset that the only animal around was "the starfish on the wall". :rotfl2:

I actually appreciate the "darkness" of the All-Stars, actually! We don't have windows in our master suite at home, so the darker the room the better ... Sports was a real mid-afternoon treat for a nap back in May when I came out for Opening Weekend of Pandora.

Value. We did many trips at values, but we moved our way up and now spend much more time at the resort and need deluxe. I’d do a moderate if i ran out of DVC points, but I’d rather not go than stay value again. Too many teen groups. The last time did us in and we never went back.

I’ve tried to appreciate the value resorts. I have stayed at each one more than once. I have not had one pleasant resort experience. I guess you could say I’m done with given them a chance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter