What tech to you use to watch Disney + ?

My iPad was old, too. And I needed a laptop. Instead of both, I just got this iPad Pro 12.9 inch with Magic Keyboard. It’s a fantastic personal viewing experience especially when paired with Bluetooth headphones. 👍🏻

I would rather something wireless. I used to have one of those, but my ipad is old and I don't think the connection is as great as it used to be.
if you have a really old IPad it could be you cant even download the Disney app happened to my mom. you need a certain version of IOS and many older ipad versions stopped IOS updates years ago. Also first generation Samsung or many smart TVs also have an old operating system.. you need Tizian to download the Disney + app...

long story short you have two options... get a new smart TV or a new WIFI/APP device ( can be appleTV, firestick, roku etc... )

you can also screen mirror your iphone or ipad playing the app to the appleTV wireless, but that is pointless as the appleTV has the app too. Though I might be mistaken, the first generation appleTV might not allow Disney+ too??? not sure.

Sad thing is in the future many apps will be developed using the latest OS systems and some devices or TVs might become obesolete.

I know you said you don’t want another Apple TV, but if you have an iPhone and an iPad I think it’s worth reconsidering. We mirror our phones on the Apple TV a lot, to stream music or show pictures or quickly play a video that’s already queued up. With Black Friday coming, you might want to wait and see what kind of deals there are.

I recommend the Roku. I use a TV with Roku built in and it is an excellent platform. Disney had a disagreement with Amazon and Disney+ almost didn't appear on their devices at launch. That could happen again. Well, it could technically happen with any device manufacturer, including Apple and Roku, but Disney & Amazon have a penchant for fighting with each other about things like that.

The Firestick and Roku are both very cheap if you ask me at $40 and you get a lot out of each one. The two differences that I notice (and I’m sure there are many others depending on what you ultimately end up using it for):

Roku: Only Roku has VUDU. This may not be a big deal to many but back when Blu-Ray’s were still the main way to buy a movie, if it came with a digital copy then it went to VUDU. Many studios, including Disney, participate in Movies Anywhere which means it also transfers to Amazon, Google, Apple, etc. But Paramount does not participate so if you want your digital copy that came with a Blu-Ray from previous years then it’s only on VUDU. Likewise, any $2-5 disc-to-digital conversions stay on VUDU only if they are Paramount or another similar studio.

Fire: We use their cloud storage. I also have all of our Disney-trip videos on the Amazon cloud. The kids like watching the Disney videos. Amazon Photos is only available through Fire and not Roku.

We setup our own version of Movie Night Under the Stars (movie outside). I got tired of unplugging the Roku or Firestick (I know, it sounds petty but you gotta go untangle the cords and get behind the TV)...anyway I bought a second Fire rather than a Roku to keep with the projector stuff.

Last edited:
We use a Firestick.
Something to think about. Amazon Prime Days are tomorrow and Wednesday. You can get good bargains on Firesticks. We bought our Firesticks during last year’s Prime Days.

I have it downloaded on Xbox One for an older TV that doesn't have Smart capability. A Roku in an LG TV that also has Disney+, but I have to use the Roku because it has Fubo. The LG TV doesn't. I flip between them.

Good point about Prime Day tomorrow.

This is sounding way more complicated than I thought it would be. I don't have an extra HDMI output on my TV, so I guess I'll also be looking for a splitter.

I've been using a Roku since 2011. I definitely recommend it. You can get on eat Walmart for under $40 now.

XBox One S. Sometimes my phone or laptop.

I should point out we have a new 4k tv that we bough just this past July. It's an LG, and I don't know if it has "Roku built it". But I'm not a big fan of smart tv apps. Our previous LG had a Netflix app, but it stopped working altogether after awhile, and by that point, it was an old model of TV. I would rather use my XBOX or chromcast or a Roku or something rather than rely on my tv's apps.

Every TV in my house has a firestick, the best part is my kids could bring it with them when they would travel with friends or back and forth to school (pre Covid) and have access to all the family apps on any TV they use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter