What to do outside of the parks

Mikedaman

Earning My Ears
So we land at SNA Sunday morning and not hitting the parks until Monday (as long as air is still good). We are planning on getting a rental for the day. Anything fun to do. We plan on hitting DTD but not until the evening.

Thanks

Well, when you are at DTD, check out The Void, the Star Wars VR experience. It is very cool!

Otherwise, I don't know much about the area outside of Disney. You'd have to get into LA proper before I'd know about too much to do. I recommend finding an In 'n' Out Burger though.

If you wanted to stay at DTD, Splitsville is a good spot for bowling and a few drinks. Dave and Busters is also a good spot about 15 minutes from the park at The Block of Orange.

Knotts.
Beach.
Grocery store.
Does Great Wolf do a day pass? (I have no idea.)
There's an outlet mall nearby.
Pool time at your hotel.
Early dinner at DTD to allow an early bed time for an early rope drop?

I suppose some of this depends on how early Sunday morning your flight comes in, and what time zone you are coming from, who is in your party, etc.

My vote would be Laguna Beach and if you have any shopaholics in tow, South Coast Plaza is a crazy high end, amazing shopping destination just minutes from SNA. My hubby tolerates some time there in exchange for a stop at In N Out at the corner of Bristol and MacArthur just 5 minutes from South Coast Plaza

Last edited:
I thought in another post you said you're flying into LAX. I'm confused.

Everyone has already posted some very decent ideas. I will add just one more. Irvine Spectrum Center has world class dining and shopping as well as a Ferris wheel and carousel. They also have an ice rink for the holidays. If it's warm outside, it will be a less-than-ice rink, but usually it holds up pretty well.

My vote would be Laguna Beach and if you have any shopaholics in tow, South Coast Plaza is a crazy high end, amazing shopping destination just minutes from SNA. My hubby tolerates some time there in exchange for a stop at In N Out at the corner of Bristol and MacArthur just 5 minutes from South Coast Plaza
I will add South Coast Plaza to our list for January. Any great food around there? or coffee shop. I love coffee shops and pastries. No in n out I live in the bay area we have one in every city.

I will add South Coast Plaza to our list for January. Any great food around there? or coffee shop. I love coffee shops and pastries. No in n out I live in the bay area we have one in every city.

Seasons 52 is a great restaurant. Sidecar Doughnuts and Coffee is a short drive away and sooooooo good!

Not to hijack, but I have some related questions....

My vote would be Laguna Beach

Would this be the best/closest/most convenient beach to go to from DL? We want to take a day mid-trip to visit the beach, but will be using Uber. Are the beaches public? Where should we Uber to exactly?

Any good restaurants on the beach? Casual, no fine dining, as we'll be in tank tops and shorts with beach bags most likely.

Lastly, I assume its warm enough for the beach in late April/early May?

I recommend finding an In 'n' Out Burger though.

Eat at In-n-Out. Order the Double Double Animal Style.

We definitely want to visit an In-n-Out. It looks like the closest one to DL is at 1168 State College Blvd (about 3 miles). Is that in a relatively safe area? We'll be relying on Uber to get there and back, so just want to make sure we're not venturing to a weird place! lol!

We definitely want to visit an In-n-Out. It looks like the closest one to DL is at 1168 State College Blvd (about 3 miles). Is that in a relatively safe area? We'll be relying on Uber to get there and back, so just want to make sure we're not venturing to a weird place! lol!

Have only been to that location once and according to the In-N-Out app it is the closest one, but it seemed like a very safe area. I would not hesitate to go back again to that one.

...Would this be the best/closest/most convenient beach to go to from DL? We want to take a day mid-trip to visit the beach, but will be using Uber. Are the beaches public? Where should we Uber to exactly?

Any good restaurants on the beach? Casual, no fine dining, as we'll be in tank tops and shorts with beach bags most likely.

Lastly, I assume its warm enough for the beach in late April/early May?..

The closest beach to DLR is probably Huntington Beach. The beaches there are public. A fun, casual restaurant there is Ruby's Diner (burgers and shakes, sock hop theme) on the end of the pier. You can enjoy your meal with a view of the water. The In-N-Out at State College and Ball is in a very safe location. All In-N-Outs have friendly staff, but that location has the friendliest crew around! It is also right next to a Walmart supermarket, just in case you want to grab a few groceries before heading back to your hotel.

Would this be the best/closest/most convenient beach to go to from DL? We want to take a day mid-trip to visit the beach, but will be using Uber. Are the beaches public? Where should we Uber to exactly?

Lastly, I assume its warm enough for the beach in late April/early May?

My DD and I went to the one on Harbor by bus. It was fine (well, not the bus experience but the In-n-Out). So that one is an option. I am sure that the State College Blvd one would be fine too.

My DD and I went to the one on Harbor by bus. It was fine (well, not the bus experience but the In-n-Out). So that one is an option. I am sure that the State College Blvd one would be fine too.

How far is the one on Harbor? When I search for In-n-Out near Disneyland, the only ones that come up for me are the one on State College and one on S. Brookhurst St.

We've never been to In and Out before, so does the State College Blvd location get busy at opening?
We plan on a trip to one with a dining area on our hotel switch day.

We've never been to In and Out before, so does the State College Blvd location get busy at opening?
We plan on a trip to one with a dining area on our hotel switch day.
In n Out is always busy... but no worries. They are experts at getting you in n out quickly! It is a well-oiled machine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter