What to expect for DL's 60th anniversary in 2015 (Starting May 22)

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
Note on Jan 29, 2015 - see these blogs about Disney announcements

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2015/01/29/disneyland-announces-diamond-celebration-details

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-may-22-will-feature-sparkling-decor-and-more

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ced-for-disneyland-resort-diamond-celebration

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-of-the-disneyland-resort-diamond-celebration

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...d-resort-diamond-celebration-beginning-may-22

Updated OP on Jan 30, 2015...

See original OP below.

When I wrote this thread in May, 2014 it was to give some long range advice/conjecture/speculation about the DL 60th anniversary in 2015 to help those choosing dates to visit DLR in 2015. I did not intend for it to turn into a planning resource but it looks like it has kind of turned into that. I will do my best to keep this OP updated, but anyone who wants to help post to this thread to keep information flowing would be awesome.

As outlined in the blogs above, we now know that the 60th anniversary celebration will kickoff on May 22, 2015. There will be a major new fireworks show at DL, a major new night time parade at DL, and a new World of Color show at DCA. There will be special decorations on the DL castle and the DCA Carthay Circle Theater.

From today's perspective, it is clear there are a significant number of refurbs happening up through May 2015. Anyone still in the trip planning mode should be aware of this.

Some have asked if DLR might open any of the parades or shows early (i.e., before May 22), and I think most would agree this is extremely unlikely.

Based on past experience, there will be a surge of crowds starting on May 22. SoCal AP holders who are properly entitled to use their APs when not blocked out will do so in significant numbers up through June 25 when the summer blockout begins. For AP blockout info see the DLR website here https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/?month=6.

Expect greater crowds from this up through June 25. Also understand that there are grad nights in May and June that will cause some disruption to normal park operations. See "The Scoop on Grad Nights at DLR in May and June" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400.

Some posters are concerned about visiting in June because of the AP effect and grad night effect. As I have posted elsewhere, take this into account but do not work yourself into knots worrying about it. It will have an impact. It will not dominate your trip.

The actual DL 60th anniversary will be on July 17, 2015. That day in particular will be very crowded and expect some special ceremonies to occur. Those will be special to see but also will probably be a huge disruption to normal DL visits.

The SoCal AP blockout ends on August 16 and do not be surprised if there is a surge in crowds that week and possibly the week that follows.

For those visiting this summer, I will be there too as summer is my favorite time to visit DLR. Here are some tips: "Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319

I have not seen any information about how long the 60th celebration will last. The 50th anniversary celebration lasted from May 2005 until September 2006. Thus DLR was able to get two summers included in that celebration.

I kind of doubt DLR will do that again but they might. Otherwise I would guess it will last until May, 2016 or up through July 17, 2016.

:wizard:

Just for history's sake, below was the original OP I wrote in May, 2014. My best guess of when the 60th celebration would start turned out to be correct. I better book a trip to Vegas soon!

I am starting to see more and more questions on visiting DLR in 2015 and the impact and timing of the 60th anniversary celebration. So I am writing this thread to which I can refer such questions.

In 2005 DL celebrated its 50th anniversary. The park was immaculately maintained before the celebration and during, and was closed on May 4 for the entire day for a special invite-only media event.

On May 5 the public celebration started with a large ceremony which drew large crowds. It also debuted the awesome Remember Dreams Come True fireworks show.

The actual 50th anniversary was on July 17, 2005. That day also drew large crowds. Since technically the anniversary year lasted until July 16, 2006, DL carried on the celebration through the summer of 2006 until September. But 2005 drew larger crowds and more interest.

DCA was only four years old and there was nothing special about the 50th anniversary to be found there.

I have absolutely no knowledge about the 60th anniversary as of today and am making some educated guesses here.

The 60th celebration will likely not be as big as the 50th. I feel quite confident the celebration will start sometime between early May and July 17. If I had to bet I would bet on it starting on Friday, May 22 right before the Memorial Day holiday. The last three years DLR has started the summer season of longer park hours and maximum entertainment on that Friday.

By July the celebration will certainly have been started. If it does not start on May 22 I would have to believe it would be started by mid-June at the very latest. But Disney could very well start it as early as Friday, May 1.

You can expect a flurry of refurb activity in early 2015 as DL and DCA spit shine every part of each park so they look their best. It will be a fun time to visit. It will draw extra crowds as Disney will market this locally in SoCal and also probably across the entire western USA as well as the Pacific Rim Countries.

If you visit before the 60th celebration starts be prepared for larger than normal refurb activity. If you visit after it starts then be prepared for larger crowds than in 2014.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the rumored return on the Main St. Electrical Parade for the anniversary?

What are your thoughts on the rumored return on the Main St. Electrical Parade for the anniversary?

I believe that rumor has faded. Micechat has now reported that DL could get a new nighttime parade for the 60th. I think this would make more sense than seeing a parade return after WDW has been running it for years.

I'm interested in getting your opinion on which dates to visit DLR in 2015. We have APs for our upcoming August trip that we will activate August 21st 2014. We will go one more time before our APs expire August 20th 2015, and we're pretty much tied to the school calendar (I'm a substitute teacher and both kids will be in school.) Our possible dates are spring break, so a week somewhere between March 7-22nd. In May, there will be a professional day on the Tuesday after Victoria day, so we could go the weekend of May 16th-19th, maybe tagging on the Friday and the Wednesday to make the trip a bit longer. But ideally we'd like to go in July or early August. We went in July last year and love it. It wasn't as crowded as I had expected.

So, weighing the pro's and con's of ride closures and high crowds due to anniversary celebrations, which of these dates would you choose?

Do u think they will hold off starting celebrations until after the Tinkerbell Half during Mother's Day weekend?

I'm interested in getting your opinion on which dates to visit DLR in 2015. We have APs for our upcoming August trip that we will activate August 21st 2014. We will go one more time before our APs expire August 20th 2015, and we're pretty much tied to the school calendar (I'm a substitute teacher and both kids will be in school.) Our possible dates are spring break, so a week somewhere between March 7-22nd. In May, there will be a professional day on the Tuesday after Victoria day, so we could go the weekend of May 16th-19th, maybe tagging on the Friday and the Wednesday to make the trip a bit longer. But ideally we'd like to go in July or early August. We went in July last year and love it. It wasn't as crowded as I had expected.

So, weighing the pro's and con's of ride closures and high crowds due to anniversary celebrations, which of these dates would you choose?

I want to be there for the 60th celebration so will likely shoot for the second half of July after July 17. That is what I would choose. If you had a good experience in July before that is all the more reason.

But it depends on what you value most and whether you want to go before or after the 60th starts.

I remember reading that starting right after Summer, Peter Pan goes down for refurb that will take roughly 1 month. And then the other dark rides will go down, each for about 1 month.

I was worried a bunch would be down at the same time in February but from what I've read, it sounds like they'll be doing them 1 at a time, for the most part.

I want to be there for the 60th celebration so will likely shoot for the second half of July after July 17. That is what I would choose. If you had a good experience in July before that is all the more reason.

But it depends on what you value most and whether you want to go before or after the 60th starts.

We are planning on being there as well, for sometime during the second half of July, shooting to be there on the 17th. We were there during the 50th and that was such a great celebration.... while I realize they may not be making as big of a deal out of the 60th, I really hope they don't drop the ball on it!

I believe that rumor has faded. Micechat has now reported that DL could get a new nighttime parade for the 60th. I think this would make more sense than seeing a parade return after WDW has been running it for years.

We ARE getting a new parade.

I reported it on the 3/13/14 edition of the podcast.

DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition 03/13/14

Anyone know what the fireworks show will be in February 2015 since it's a few months before the 60th?

Do you think much of the celebrations will go on all year? We are hoping to go back next year early December (just got home a week ago!)

Typically yes, all year long, but the key merchandise may be limited to that specific time frame.

I'm interested to see a new fireworks show, though I absolutely love the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks. it gets me misty eyed every time and I love that Disney has the power to do that with just music & fireworks.

As for the new parade vs main street, I dont care if WDW's been showing it for years, it's OURS. take it back! I recall the original soundtrack having the voice of the MSEP announcing it as "Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade".

Anyone know what the fireworks show will be in February 2015 since it's a few months before the 60th?

No one knows anything about Feb 2015 right now but if the past 9 years experience is a guide it will be Remember Dreams Come True.

Just one point of clarification...

In 2005 DL celebrated its 50th anniversary. The park was immaculately maintained before the celebration and during, and was closed on May 4 for the entire day so the park could be changed over for the celebration.

On May 5 the celebration started with a large ceremony which drew large crowds. It also debuted the awesome Remember Dreams Come True fireworks show....

The Park was not closed on May 4th for the park to be changed over for the celebration.

On May 4, 2005, there was an invite-only special event / media day which officially launched the 50th anniversary celebrations. (It was launched to the public the next day.)

The Parade of Dreams was debuted at this event. Several other exhibits and elements throughout the Park commemorating the 50th were launched throughout the Park. Steve Martin and Eisner were amongst some of the "recognizable" involved in various festivities. Julie Andrews was another, taking part in various 50th activities including revealing the golden vehicles, specifically for her the golden horse on the Carousel.

The evening consisted on a special invite-only party (media, celebrities, invited guests, etc...) for which Main Street was lined with a Golden carpet to create quite the entrance.

If I remember correctly, this was also the day that Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters opened.

On May 5, 2005, the 50th celebration officially launched to the public.

As for rumors and speculation about next year, I'll steer clear of those except to say that I thin the Electrical Parade with return to its rightful place: Main Street at Disneyland. - fingers crossed - (cue music: neeeeer....)

- Dreams

Just one point of clarification...

The Park was not closed on May 4th for the park to be changed over for the celebration.

On May 4, 2005, there was an invite-only special event / media day which officially launched the 50th anniversary celebrations. (It was launched to the public the next day.)

The Parade of Dreams was debuted at this event. Several other exhibits and elements throughout the Park commemorating the 50th were launched throughout the Park. Steve Martin and Eisner were amongst some of the "recognizable" involved in various festivities. Julie Andrews was another, taking part in various 50th activities including revealing the golden vehicles, specifically for her the golden horse on the Carousel.

The evening consisted on a special invite-only party (media, celebrities, invited guests, etc...) for which Main Street was lined with a Golden carpet to create quite the entrance.

If I remember correctly, this was also the day that Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters opened.

On May 5, 2005, the 50th celebration officially launched to the public.

As for rumors and speculation about next year, I'll steer clear of those except to say that I thin the Electrical Parade with return to its rightful place: Main Street at Disneyland. - fingers crossed - (cue music: neeeeer....)

- Dreams

Thanks for the clarification Dreams about May 4. :)

I think you understand that I am not trying to start rumors here but to give the best possible answer to questions that will be asked more and more often as we approach the 60th. :)

Thanks for the clarification Dreams about May 4. :)

I think you understand that I am not trying to start rumors here but to give the best possible answer to questions that will be asked more and more often as we approach the 60th. :)

You're welcome. :)

You've probably noticed through the years that I steer clear of speculation threads. We don't know what will happen yet for the 60th so to me, there are no answers yet to any questions regarding the anniversary. We just have to wait until Disney gives us something to look forward to experiencing. (And I truly hope that includes the MSEP! :) )

- Dreams

I was an AP holder back then and I remember getting tickets/invitation in the mail to that event. But I lived 1500 miles away and was unable to make it. So sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter