What vacation spots can y'all think of...

Rajah

DIS Veteran
...that are within about 6-8 hours' drive of Houston?

We're not beach people, so won't bother with beaches. This is what I can think of:

Astroworld/Waterworld/Splashtown.
Moody Gardens
Marq*E (Jillians, minigolf, movies, etc)

Schlitterbahn
Fiesta Texas
Sea World
Alamo
Riverwalk

Caverns of Sonora (nothing else that way, though without going another day's drive out)

Six Flags (Dallas)

Loyd Hall (cat place)

New Orleans (not my top pick, though)

San Antonio is probably your best bet. Besides the Alamo, Fiesta Texas and the Riverwalk, there are also the other old Spanish Missions nearby. The Mercado is a nice place to browse if you like markets. You're also close to the Hill Country and about an hours drive from Austin. It's great place for live music if you are into that sort of stuff. There's also plenty more to do as well, such as touring the State Capitol building. Here's a link for you to check out about Austin Austin link

Austin is a terrific place to visit, very cosmopolitan for a smaller city:) Lots of shows and entertainment there. I would live in Austin, if I had the chance.

Fredericksburg and New Braunfels are located in some pretty country :)

San Antonio is my favorite spot, but I also enjoy going to Fredericksburg. They have many wonderful B&Bs and its nice to be immersed in a different culture (Texas German). I also enjoy going to the Renaissance Festival in Plantersville. Some year I hope to make it to Lost Maples State park to see the fall foliage. I have heard it is beautiful! I went to Moody Gardens last weekend - IMHO, the only things worth visiting there are the Aquarium and IMAX theater. Oh, for a quick visit, I love the Butterfly Center and Planetarium at the HMNS.

We did the Titanic exhibit two weeks ago.

Used to live in Austin (went to UT Austin) so we've done everything we want to do there.

Fredericksburg I forgot about :teeth:

OK, one more. Fort Worth is a great city to visit - The Stockyards, Downtown (it has been revitalized and is wonderful), and the most beautiful Japanese Gardens.

Used to live in Austin

I can see why that wouldn't be the ideal vacation spot then ;)

My vote would go for San Antonio, with Fredricksburg as second choice. Or if you have enough time, do both :) :) :)

I love Fredericksburg. My family used to spend our spring breaks every year down there, and we had a lot of fun. Of course, it wasn't that romantic with my parents and sister in a motor home. :D But there are lots of cute inns and wineries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter