What was the first character meal you ever attended?

I just asked my mom this very question last weekend, because I have faint memories from when I was 6 of going to a breakfast during our trip (which was a treat in and of itself as we usually did cereal to get up/out faster) and some of the Fab 5 being there, and maybe some characters from Winnie the Pooh. It was in a dining room with windows to the outside, and I remember there being wood (so not like 1900PF). She swears that there weren't specific character breakfasts back then (this would have been 1991) and they just showed up, and I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Anyone happen to know where we might have eaten?

My first was the "Terrace Cafe" at the Contemporary. (same location, more or less, as Chef Mickey's)

I THINK that was the name of the one I went to in the Contemporary. I went there in 1989, Goofy was there, it was a buffet, and I remember thinking how cool it was that we could watch the monorail while we ate. Can't remember the name, though.

The LTT one was Colonial Mickey and Minnie, etc.

I remember Colonial Minnie at Liberty Tree Tavern!! So cute! I always wanted to go, but didn't get a chance to before they took the characters away. :guilty:

I think my first ever character meal was at Chef Mickey's on my first trip in 2006. It was very loud, but we had a great time! The food was fine, and we got lots of time with all of the characters. Granted this was over ten years ago...

I THINK that was the name of the one I went to in the Contemporary. I went there in 1989, Goofy was there, it was a buffet, and I remember thinking how cool it was that we could watch the monorail while we ate. Can't remember the name, though.
Yes and next door was "Terrace Buffeteria" which was converted into the Concourse steakhouse for a while and is now the Contempo Cafe (kinda came full circle there with the name if you think about it)

Tangaroa Terrace at the Poly many, many years ago.

In 1998, we had breakfast at Crystal Palace as walk-ups because I didn’t believe you really needed to make reservations at a theme park restaurant.

In over 35 years of going to WDW we have only been to two and those were on the same trip. Garden Grill way back in the 80s and the place next to 50s Prime Time. I don't remember the name but it was for breakfast. Neither were done for the characters, my son wanted to eat at Garden Grill because he thought it would be fun to eat at a restaurant that turned and wanted one of the straw hats they used to give out. We ate the one at HS (MGM back then) because it was the only thing open for breakfast at the time.

I think it was either Crystal Palace or LTT (back when it was a character meal). My son (now 20) loved those 💗

Donald’s Breakfastasaurus at DAK. It hooked me. Great time. I think it was just Donald, Mickey,Pluto and Daisy.

Our first character meal was breakfast at Empress Lily back in 1991. At that time, there were not as many character meals available as there are today. It was lots of fun, and the food was good. Since that time, we’ve been to lots of others, but that one will always be special.

Chef Mickey's for dinner in October 2018. I love the look of delight in my son's eyes from the pictures when he met the characters.

Ours was Cape May Cafe in 2018. Even though I went to Disney quite a bit as a kid; my grandparents were snowbirds so we stayed with them and not on property, plus my parents were good with quick service and probably never even thought about a character meal. And even though we took our kids to Disney for the day a few times when they were younger, we also just did quick service because we just drove in from the beach for the day. However, in 2018 we spent our first week on property and opted for Cape May since we were staying at BC...we all really enjoyed it. Then this year we did Garden Grill and really enjoyed that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter