What was your first credit card?

Bank of America, but it was relatively recently (2014) and I have never carried a balance.

I use my Kohls card when I have a coupon that requires me to, otherwise I use another card. Those 20-30% coupons are great. I also use the Target card for 5% off. Those are the only 2 store cards I have.

Lerners. I remember my mom saying that they gave it to everybody. She told me to buy some clothes on the card but only pay off a little at a time. Lol. This was 1984.

In 1979, when I was 18, I got a my first credit card for my beloved Marshall Field's in Chicago. Greatest store ever!

- When I was in college I got a couple store cards. Like another poster, I remember when they used to give you a gift to apply; I remember getting some drinking glasses, which I used forever. I didn't use those cards (largely 'cause I had no money), so I cancelled them after a while.
- A couple years after we were married, we got a major card together and still have that same account. We get pretty big rewards points from this card, so we use it for pretty much everything. Every. Single. Thing. Pretty much every loaf of bread and every gallon of gas goes on that card. I pay attention to when certain things give us extra rewards for buying this-or-that at certain times of year, so we really rack up some rewards. I just checked my card, and I see that we've made $51 already this year (I did buy new eye glasses /my lenses are not cheap, and we've just had a car repair, so we've had some big expenses already this year.)
- Because our major card is not accepted everywhere, I got another card that's more widely accepted -- but I don't reach for it because the rewards aren't as good.

Having said that, we have only once ever paid interest on a credit card: about 15 years ago we bought a car, and we realized that IF we didn't pay our credit card in full for two months, we could pay cash for the car. We decided that skipping the borrowing stuff for the car was worth paying interest on the credit card for two months -- but I found those two months SO STRESSFUL. I could never do that on a regular basis.
Kohl's tries to get me every time I shop there but I know better than to waste one of my slots to a store card now.
Seriously, Kohl's is a money lending company that happens to have clothes.

Last edited:
Sterns, a department store I think? Or Bambergers. They had loose standards haha. But my limit was low and it was not a problem. Later I got ALL the gas station cards in my area because my car broke down all the timeand they would take the card to tow my car. (why didn't I get AAA??)

Citibank Visa when I was a college student (1986/1987?), with a $500 limit. My first purchase was a velvet suit jacket with a velvet floral skirt. I had that set for years.

Chase Freedom! If I did it over again I would have gotten more of the free cards but you live and learn :)

90's CUNY student so they had flyers for AMEX all over. The reason I did it was when I signed up the cards offered ROUNDTRIP to Florida for me and a friend for around $100 or $129 - or like my half of the US, and then ROUNDTRIP to the other side of the country for me and a friend for around. $189 or something like that, I think it may have been Delta and now that I think about it Delta won my business forever over it. This is, of course, how a poor kid with a new job went to WDW and Cali/ DisneyLand twice in one year. If I'm remembering right there was like a roll out 3 pack of coupons for the flights that lasted a year and they had codes and the tickets names needed to match the cardholder ID and the name I gave so I needed to be on the plane. It was the best deal ever!

A Visa card from my credit union in about 1982.

I was denied the first time and appealed to the credit committee for a 500 limit.
I got it.

I then went to Montgomery Wards, Sears, and JC Penny within a few days and that Visa card was the key to getting almost instant approval for their cards.

At each store, I bought a piece of clothing.....................waited for the bill to arrive.............paid it..............and then bought another item about every other month..............always paying off the bill when it arrived.

This is how I was able to develop a large and diverse credit history which allowed me to get car loans and home loans at a young age.

Fun fact- I got my Discover card in 1986 and at that time, only Sears and a small group of stores took it.
...............and Penney's and Wards would not take it! (it was a product related to Sears and they were the competition!)

Here is a link about Discover---it is a quick read..............
https://www.gobankingrates.com/credit-cards/advice/history-discover-card/

I had a Star Trek credit card issued by MBNA as my first credit card. Being a huge Star Trek fan I loved that thing.. until MBNA got acquired by Bank of America and they cancelled my card. I've been tempted by the offerings at NASAFCU but don't think I will apply.

Mine was Mervens all of my kids clothes ( DS 26& 24) came from them. And also JCP. The Penny's card still shows up on my credit report for credit age and it was closed 20 years ago lol

My first card was Sunoco in the early 80s, and then JCPenney (I worked there during college). My parents told me to make some purchases and pay it off so I could build a credit rating so I would have a good one whenever I purchased a home.
My daughter's first card (with my DH as co-owner) was Bank of America.

I also started with Amex back in the late 80's. Tables on campus with incredible flight vouchers. I couldn't resist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter