What were Disney theme parks like in the 90s?

AnimationFan94

Earning My Ears
Were there less or more people? Was everyone in the 90s happier because they were richer? What was the atmosphere of the parks in the 90s? Were people laid back or are there wild stories?

DL longest waits were Star Tours 45-60 mins, Space Mountain 45-90 mins, & Splash Mountain 90-120 mins until Indiana Jones came along and that was up to a 3-4 hour wait. That was the ride you RD. Me & DH RD it and rerode it 5 times in a row. Crowds were way less. Everything else was walk on because of Mickey’s Towntoon as well. Skyway quick and awesome jumping from Tomorrowland to Frontierland. No need for fast passes or ADRs because there were none. You could walk up to any restaurant and be put on a waiting list 30 minutes before they opened.

Main Street Electrical parade was the best. Didn’t have to arrive hours before the parade started. 20 minutes was enough and you had an awesome seat.

Actually The 90s were a bit harder money wise. The 80s were way better in that regard.

I remember we just went last minute frequently, any time of year, with no planning, and with no issues. I was in college in North Florida in the mid-late 90s and we went on a whim multiple times. (And oh man adult we would never go near the Kissimmee motels we stayed in back then!). We did do Caribbean Beach sometime around 98', again booked last minute.

Last edited:

Were there less or more people? Was everyone in the 90s happier because they were richer? What was the atmosphere of the parks in the 90s? Were people laid back or are there wild stories?
I can't speak to Disneyworld, but Disneyland was less crowded. I don't think people were richer, prices were just lower. And in the 1990's Disney stockholders got discounts on top of that. I miss that, although the $100 dividend checks do offset that a bit

Less crowds, less planning, less stress, Dining ressies could be made morning of - or walk ins, many less strollers, shorter lines for rides, no FP's to worry about, and many more I could name.

Yup! Disney Dining Plan wasn't yet in existence which made it significantly easier to make dining plans. I remember one evening just walking up to Le Celier and easily getting in. Same with any restaurant really (except maybe character dining but I had no interest in that).

Lines weren't nearly as bad as now. You could utilize morning and late evening hours for a huge advantage. Of course, things only got better once FP was introduced in 1999.

I feel the 80’s were the golden age for WDW. The parks weren’t too crowded, the hotels weren’t too expensive and the parks were in good shape. Things started gradually going downhill in the 90’s and then the downhill progression sped up dramatically after 9/11. I think the period when people didn’t travel much put Disney in the nickel and dime mindset.

I remember going in the mid 90's. I believe it was a lot cheaper back then. The time of year we went I believe it was late May, it really was not crowded at all. I remember riding Splash Mountain a few times in a row, it was seriously exit the ride and get back on. Maybe that was a fluke, but lines were never really long and I do not remember waiting very long for anything.

I feel the 80’s were the golden age for WDW. The parks weren’t too crowded, the hotels weren’t too expensive and the parks were in good shape. Things started gradually going downhill in the 90’s and then the downhill progression sped up dramatically after 9/11. I think the period when people didn’t travel much put Disney in the nickel and dime mindset.

I agree that the best times we have had at Disney to present was in the 80's after Epcot opening in '82.

I went in 87 but it was 4th of July and it was packed. I also went in May of 2000 and it wasn’t too bad. The best time was sept of 2003. We walked right on all the rides. We used the leftover parkhoppers from the 2000 visit so we didn’t need to get any more tickets.

Moderate resorts were actually moderately priced!
There were lots of unique amenities that you weren't nickeled and dimed for.
Length of stay tickets were reasonably priced.
There were unique items in the shops, at the resorts, etc.
Downtown Disney didn't look like any other outdoor Florida mall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter