What were Disney theme parks like in the 90s?

I used to love going, in the 90’ early 2000, cell phones had terrible reception and people had walkie talkies to stay in contact with family members. It took my dh 3 days to finally unwind down and to forget about his phone. It truly was a bubble. Now, everyone ‘s nose is stuck in their phones either postings to social: media or checking fast pass times or ADR’s or looking at the Disney App. Still see the working parent screaming on their phones to whomever. That is the worst. Nothing like kids or spouses looking at the dad or mom on the phone talking to work.

I would gladly take that cake in exchange for all the Epcot rides they had in the 90's. Epcot was way better back then, as compared to present day, with the exception of Frozen.

Good point, you could always just avoid looking at the castle, although that was hard. You’re right that Epcot was better then. But I do have to disagree about Frozen. It belongs in the Magic Kingdom, Arendelle is not a real place.

When I think WDW in the 90s & early 2000s, I think of excellent food. The food quality in the non-signature restaurants was equal to the signature restaurants now. DS was considered a Disney child at the time. The restaurants served smaller portions of the adult items. He could order filet, duck, etc., just in a smaller portion. When the menus started changing, we had to start ordering him adult meals, even though he was still considered a Disney child.

As far as crowds, FP made a big difference in wait times. My family started going to Disney, when WDW was only Magic Kingdom. As a young child, we stood in many lines for 2 hours. You could expect to wait that long for Peter Pan, 20,000 Leagues, Haunted Mansion & a few others. Dumbo was at least an hour. That's if you were lucky & hit it at the right time. I laugh, when people say their kids can't wait in a line longer than 20 minutes. Those people couldn't have ridden anything at MK at the time. They would have been taking boat rides, touring the tree house & seeing shows. I'll take that back, they could have possibly gotten on the Skyway & the train in 20 to 30 minutes, if they hit the line at the perfect time. :p Other than that, they would have been out of luck. The crowds in the 70s to 90s weren't as bad as they are now, but there was no FP. You can definitely ride more rides now in the same amount of time.

ETA: We were only able to visit MK in the summer. The lines may have been more tolerable at other times, but 2 hours isn't an exaggeration in the summer.

Loved Disney World in the 90s except for this-

View attachment 397367

For us, as Floridian passholders, the castle cake was awesome. It's fun to have a new experience. I loved it. I'm sure I would have felt differently, if we would have only been able to visit once.

Last edited:

Less crowded
Reasonable prices for a vacation resort
Better food
More spontaneity
Cleaner bathrooms
Less surly/screaming cast members
Less politically correct attractions
Pleasure Island was fabulous and not overrun with kids and gang members

Last edited:
More live entertainment in the parks.
Our son and my best friend’s son were over the moon with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

In general I remember more and easier to experience character interaction.

You could do more and see more in a week’s time.

I just found a DM ticket from early 90's. As far as I can tell it was a regular ticket and it was $35. :eek:

When I think WDW in the 90s & early 2000s, I think of excellent food. The food quality in the non-signature restaurants was equal to the signature restaurants now. DS was considered a Disney child at the time. The restaurants served smaller portions of the adult items. He could order filet, duck, etc., just in a smaller portion. When the menus started changing, we had to start ordering him adult meals, even though he was still considered a Disney child.

As far as crowds, FP made a big difference in wait times. My family started going to Disney, when WDW was only Magic Kingdom. As a young child, we stood in many lines for 2 hours. You could expect to wait that long for Peter Pan, 20,000 Leagues, Haunted Mansion & a few others. Dumbo was at least an hour. That's if you were lucky & hit it at the right time. I laugh, when people say their kids can't wait in a line longer than 20 minutes. Those people couldn't have ridden anything at MK at the time. They would have been taking boat rides, touring the tree house & seeing shows. I'll take that back, they could have possibly gotten on the Skyway & the train in 20 to 30 minutes, if they hit the line at the perfect time. :p Other than that, they would have been out of luck. The crowds in the 70s to 90s weren't as bad as they are now, but there was no FP. You can definitely ride more rides now in the same amount of time.

ETA: We were only able to visit MK in the summer. The lines may have been more tolerable at other times, but 2 hours isn't an exaggeration in the summer.

For us, as Floridian passholders, the castle cake was awesome. It's fun to have a new experience. I loved it. I'm sure I would have felt differently, if we would have only been able to visit once.

We visited many times when MK was the only park and we never waited in long lines like you posted. Actually, the park was not super crowded and getting around was easy - we never had a problem riding what we wanted in a day - some even twice. We never went/still won't, on holidays though.

In the early '90s, there were distinctly uncrowded times of year. For example, the beginning of December (before it was discovered) and nearly the entire month of January before the marathon started (1994, I think). I used to go in January every year. Rides were walk-ons. I remember once they had to start up Journey into Imagination (the original Figment ride) since there was no one else there! Yeah, that was the good Figment. Not now. Not to mention the original SE, the much-missed Horizons, and no need to plan 6 months in advance.

Even by the time DAK opened in '99, WDW was still not the crowd scene it is today. Even the early 2000s were less crowded, especially after 9/11.

We visited many times when MK was the only park and we never waited in long lines like you posted. Actually, the park was not super crowded and getting around was easy - we never had a problem riding what we wanted in a day - some even twice. We never went/still won't, on holidays though.

Did you go in the height of summer, when all schools were out? At the time of year we could go, the lines were much worse, when MK was the only park. Adding Epcot helped a lot.

I can’t remember if it was the late 80’s or early 90’s, but I went to Epcot with my girlfriend, and she knew to go to some kiosks at the front of the park first thing to make dinner reservations for that evening. It actually seemed excessive to me at the time—who knew where we would be in the park when we wanted dinner?!?! It was certainly way better than trying to plan six months in advance...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter