What's the deal with all of the scooters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope that everyone that hates the number of scooters or that doesn't understand that you can look normal and need the mobility assistance, gets enlightened before they have to need one for themselves or their families. Because I expect most people will need some type of mobility assistance as they age.

I also suspect there to be an increasing number of scooters everywhere, not just Disney. For one, the baby boomers are reaching the age where their bodies are starting to break down. Thanks to all of the development in medicine the elderly are living much longer than they did decades ago. I've also held the belief that since there's better and safer cars on the roads now, people can survive car crashes that they never would before. Unfortunately, many of those same car crashes often cause long-term health issues like a bad back, etc. I know a lot of people, myself included, that were in a wreck that would have been fatal, but now just have physical problems.

As to the comparison with the person walking with a bad ankle - you can't judge everyone based on the "if she can, you can" mentality. Everyone is different. She could have just come out briefly. She could have a scooter that she parked and walked when she needed to stretch (no, we don't *have* to stay in the scooter 24/7. A lot of people might walk around, in and out of shops or restaurants, but not several miles in one day). She might have asked for a wheelchair immediately after you saw her.

It's the judgemental, bitter, and/or resentful attitude towards people in scooters of why I fought against the necessity of renting a scooter. I'm not overweight and I look young enough that I'd get the dirty looks. I *look* healthy. I also was in a car wreck that took me from able to walk several miles through a park to not being able to walk more than 1/4 mile without extreme pain.

So, please consider that not everyone is the same. We all have our reasons and I hope you can understand that. Trust me, we don't like looking at people's butts all day, while being in a state of hyper-awareness so that we could (attempt) to stop when someone able-bodied runs in front of us and stops.

For the record, I always go out of my way, in the parks, to be polite and considerate to scooter users. They get so many rude comments, there has to be someone out there trying to even the balance by spreading some joy. I hope I'm not the only one.

My husband is 50, athletic build, and healthy. However, high school and college sports left him with osteo arthritis and needing bilateral hip replacement. Last June we went to WDW for 10 days to celebrate our youngest daughters high school graduation. After one long day of walking the parks he was in so much pain he couldn't sleep. He was miserable and was planning on just sitting at the resort for the remaining 9 days. There was no way he could continue to walk the parks. I laid awake all night worried that he would miss out on special family time (not to mention money spent on park tickets and dining plan). I decided to surprise him and had a scooter delivered for him to use for the rest of vacation. He was embarrassed at first but once he got over that he was thankful he had it and was able to enjoy the vacation with the family. We had a lot of laughs actually with him on that scooter. Now, if you look at my husband, you would have never thought there was anything wrong with him. But his pain was excruciating. So, please don't judge people. You really don't know what is going on. Be thankful you are healthy and able to walk.

My DW needs a scooter to enjoy Disney World. I do not enjoy watching tears roll down my DW's face after walking a half day. She walks sometimes and rides most of the time. I had a male in his 30's step in front of me and stop. He did glance at me before doing so. I made a comment about him wanting a broken ankle. He gave a stare that would kill. I told him look where the scooter came to his ankle. Look at the size and guess the weight of the scooter. Then told him to consider I weigh over 200 pounds. Now this scooter does not stop in 2 inches. Consider what that would do to his body and I was was going slowly because it was very crowded. he thought for a few seconds, then turned pale and left. I suspect he will not consider cutting across the path of an EVC soon. Most folks understand strollers. Now if we can get folks not to use strollers in front of us to plow through faster. Our biggest fear is hurting a child because an adult has to go very fast.
OT....great to see you, Dave. Hope you and Beth are well.

Back on topic. I have used an ECV past several trips. I need a knee replacement (hopefully early next year), torn meniscus in the other knee (next year also), a bad back. I can walk a short distance, could never do WDW without the ECV currently. I have been 35 or so times, ECV maybe last 3 trips. For me they are a godsend. If you looked at me, I look well and able, but am not. I would rather not have to use one, but do, so I can enjoy WDW.

For the record, I always go out of my way, in the parks, to be polite and considerate to scooter users. They get so many rude comments, there has to be someone out there trying to even the balance by spreading some joy. I hope I'm not the only one.

I believe (hope) that there are many more of us. It's just that we don't start threads about it. ;)

Not going to comment about scooters and there intentions, but I will give you a live update. Took the monorail from MK to EP tonight. While making the transfer at the TTC, we had gotten off the MK express and were waiting for the EP monorail. When it arrived, there was a scooter in the monorail car we would be getting in to. Lady was about 40, way overweight, eating a bucket of popcorn, and on the cell phone as she tried to back out of the monorail. Attendant was very nice, got the ramp out, and was directing her out. She never put down the popcorn and was literally talking on the phone. As she backed up, she got her scooter stuck on the side of the ramp, attendant tried to help her, all while she was still on the phone. Attendant finally freed her, and she went full speed down the ramp backwards and ran right over him. Attendant went down, couldn't stand back up, not a doctor here, but looked like a badly sprained ankle. Lady finally got off the phone, only to ask the attendant why he did not get out of the way. Really not cool, not questioning her disability, but, there should be driving requirements and common sense tests for those driving or they are going to ruin it or everyone else, just like the skip the lines rules got ruined by rich NY moms.

Yeah, this.

I've also seen another big group of fakers - people pretending to be from another country. When I went to WDW years ago, most of the people were good ol 'Muricans. Now, it seems like half of the people are international visitors! I'll bet most of them are faking their skin color and facial features, and just pretending to speak in other languages!

Wow.. Just wow ..:confused3. Fan of "The Zorro " aren't you ? Feeling your love my friend ..feeling your love... Not ..

As far as I know it's not against the law speak another language among ourselves .. Isn't ? Ex: We are Puerto Ricans and speak Spanish to each other.. Our family fallow the rules in the parks and we do speak English as well.. Know other intl tourists who might not behaved but IMHO it's not our case..

Geez... :offtopic:

Good evening my dear Zorro ... I'm too happy planing our next WDW :santa: vacation... 'Ole !! :cool1:

Mila-Kunis-Laughing-And-Wiping-The-Tears-Away-Reaction-Gif.gif

I'm just so happy we're not arguing about FP+. God I missed these threads. Quick somebody ask about pool hopping!

Mila-Kunis-Laughing-And-Wiping-The-Tears-Away-Reaction-Gif.gif

I'm just so happy we're not arguing about FP+. God I missed these threads. Quick somebody ask about pool hopping!

You mean my park hopper isn't good for pools? This sucks. Disney sucks. I'm never going back again, ever.

Not even if there's a fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71
If you have problems standing, wait for the next bus. Don't expect someone to get up for you.
Seriously? I hope this is a joke but I'm thinking it likely is not. :(

Why would it be a joke? I can't stand on the bus, but I can stand at the bus stop to wait for another bus if this one is standing room only. I will even let people behind me get on that bus if they don't mind standing. When the next bus comes I get on, get a seat and, NO, I will NOT get up for someone who came on to a full bus expecting a seat. They could have waited for the next bus just like I did. And if it is because they or their kids are tired, so am I. If you don't want to be on a bus tired, leave the parks earlier. Don't blame others for your shortsitedness. To expect people who waited for a bus to get up for you and yours is rude when you could have waited and had the seat you so covet.

Wow.. Just wow ..:confused3. Fan of "The Zorro " aren't you ? Feeling your love my friend ..feeling your love... Not ..

As far as I know it's not against the law speak another language among ourselves .. Isn't ? Ex: We are Puerto Ricans and speak Spanish to each other.. Our family fallow the rules in the parks and we do speak English as well.. Know other intl tourists who might not behaved but IMHO it's not our case..

Geez... :offtopic:

Good evening my dear Zorro ... I'm too happy planing our next WDW :santa: vacation... 'Ole !! :cool1:

For the love of the Lord! It has already been noted that...wait for it...he was making a joke about how people are stereotyped as fakers when they are on scooters...most everybody got it. He was not being serious about other nationalities.

and check grammar...

(sigh)

You mean my park hopper isn't good for pools? This sucks. Disney sucks. I'm never going back again, ever.

Not even if there's a fire.

Nevermind asking about pool hopping, somebody start a thread about kids blowing bubbles while standing in line.

Hey when we were there last, my mom needed a scooter, and she is a bigger lady, but was in between chemo treatments, and if she had a hat or a wig on, just mighta just looked like a big lady on a scooter.

That being said, and while I agree with many of you you can't tell by looking at people what their needs are, at the same time the scooter/mobility aids industry in the US is an epidemic. There are MANY people who use a scooter only because of weight associated mobility issues. These of course are actually exasperated by their use of mobility aids, and there is a good deal of literature on this btw.

Of course, what are you going to do if you get to or want to go to Disney and you are considerably overweight ? Are you going to put off Disney until you lose weight ??? I mean, that doesn't really seem very reasonable either.

To be honest, I care more about the number of severely overweight kids I see in the parks than I do about the people in the scooters ...

For the love of the Lord! It has already been noted that...wait for it...he was making a joke about how people are stereotyped as fakers when they are on scooters...most everybody got it. He was not being serious about other nationalities.

and check grammar...

(sigh)

Thank you for the lesson of the day ! :thumbsup2
:teacher:

I was just at Disney in October and had no problems. Perhaps you had so many because you weren't paying attention? Perhaps you belong on the group of people who I noticed who seemed to think that they have control of the sidewalk and everyone else must get out of the way. FYI, scooters do not have brakes and cannot stop on a dime. You also need to be courteous of others, it certainly sounds as though you are not.

I am beyond upset that I get a nasty comment back about my young, innocent laying beneath a scooter. She could have broken his leg, cracked ribs, or worse. She backed up ontop of him, we were not in her way, as we were behind her. It's been a week, and he has large bruises on his legs. Disney medics check him out and it was reported. The old people just left and barely said anything.

Disney is for kids, and I should have to worry about getting hurt and run over.

I'm really glad my trip planning is done and I don't have to look at the drama and bad attitudes. Thought Disney people were supposed to be nice.

You are a really nasty, uncaring person. I'd like to say that I hope you get to see a loved on with a scooter ontop of them on their first trip to Disney, but I wouldn't wish how traumatic that was for us onto anyone.

Just wanted to say that I have recently been one of "those" using a scooter at WDW. It was a very eye-opening experience for me for sure!! I am a healthy 39 year old gal and in December of 2012, I experienced my 6th miscarriage&this one an ectopic. I took 3 rounds of a chemo shot called MTX to dissolve the pregnancy. We were thrilled to put it all behind us and head off to the Happiest Place on Earth! Then the first night I was there, my foot started acting odd and hurting quite badly. By the morning as we headed into the MK, I knew something wasn't right but wasn't about to let anything stop us from our first day of fun! Sadly, by 10:30, I was unable to walk and in a wheelchair. By 2pm, I was crying and on my way to Celebration Hospital. From there, transferred to Orlando Hopsital for a 3 day stay. NOT what I wanted to be doing at ALL! My body had gone into a reactive mode (reacting to the dissolving pregnancy within me) and was attacking my joints...starting with my ankle area, then hand/wrist and then knee. It was the most miserable 3 days! Ugh!!

But more than that, when we returned to enjoy what was left of our vacation, I was only able to get through the parks if I used a scooter. I noticed so many stares and glares. I weigh 190lbs and while I know that is not the biggest out there, it was big enough to feel awkward and I felt for sure that people were looking at me as a "fat lazy person on a scooter." I can remember purposefully sticking my foot out (it was wrapped and in a sock) so people would "know" why I was in the scooter. And let me tell you what, it was not easy driving that thing around the crowds and onto the bus and monorail. I was nervous and scared. And people would cut right in front of me and make it almost impossible to even go in a straight line.

This particular trip (one of many to WDW with my husband and son) was one of the worst we had b/c I was on the scooter. So, do NOT assume that b/c someone is on a scooter that they WANT to be on it. Unless you know the whole story (and I can bet you don't), then you should keep your judgements to yourself. I can say this b/c I've been on both sides. I used to judge. I did. I'm embarrassed to say it but I am honest. But now I realize that each person you may pass on a scooter has a story of it's own. Some (dare I say most) of them are the victim of an unfortunate health issue. Who would've thought that an ectopic pregnancy would trickle down to me having to be on a scooter at Disney!? You just never know...

I would suggest,instead, stopping and smiling at the person and (God forbid) using some good ol' fashioned manners and allowing that person to go ahead of you...on the bus, in line, on the walkway...whatever. With a little more of that and lot less of the OP's attitude, WDW would be a much more pleasant place for everyone! :goodvibes

Merida226 says:
Disney is for kids, and I should have to worry about getting hurt and run over.

I'm sorry for what happened to your child and hope they are doing better. However, as a 46 year old with no children, I have to disagree with your comment that Disney is for kids. Disney is for everyone. Take care.

We need a thread about people on scooters who poolhop only to refill expired mugs at the bar.

Guess what - there are inconsiderate people on scooters. You know what there are also inconsiderate people who are walking, inconsiderate people pushing strollers, inconsiderate people walking on their hands even I'm sure (but if you see people walking on their hands in the park I'm sure something else is up). I've seen people get run over by other people, strollers, scooters, wheel chairs, carts, and inanimate objects like curbs (they always sneak up on me, especially crossing Main Street where inevitably I'm looking up not down) and most of the time there is no malicious intent.
Please don't lump all scooter drivers into one category because of one person you see. Most are trying their best just like everyone else to have a good time, not hurt anyone and get from point A to point B and quite frankly most scooter drivers are having a hard time getting from point A to Point B due to the "simple" task of trying to get around a crowded park in an ECV. As others have pointed out they don't stop or turn on a dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter