• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the ONE life decision you regret (the most)?

April 7, 2018. Weather guy said there might be black ice in the AM. I decided to go to my church's weekly breakfast/bible study, anyway. My car slid on black ice, I suffered a dislocated hip/fractured pelvis/internal bleeding/blood clots/post-op infections. 4 surgeries, 6 weeks in hospital/rehab, 4 months off work, 6 months before I could walk without a walker or cane, still have residual nerve issues.

I'm actually mostly back to normal, and I'm blessed compared to other folks I saw in rehab who had much worse injuries than I did. But I should've just rolled over that morning and gone back to sleep.
A lady I know was a passenger in a car that was hit by a drunk driver who was driving the wrong way on the highway. Her injuries sound a lot like yours. She had a colostomy bag for months and spent weeks in a rehab facility. She’s doing much better too but I know you have had a long road to recovery. ❤️

House purchase in 2005. ‘Nuff said. I will never not be angry and disgusted by how swept up we got in the hysteria. Fortunately, we were able to rent it out and have been for the last 10 years so we could maybe sell it for more than we paid now (Not that we’re going to yet).

Giving up on my dad when his alcoholism got so bad. I didn’t speak to him for years and when he died suddenly (of alcoholism- surprise surprise) I regretted so much. He wasn’t a nice drunk though and I was young and angry at him. I couldn’t wrap my head around why he wouldn’t quit and took it personally. I don’t think I could have fixed it but I wish I wouldn’t have cut him out of my life for so long.
I wish I had handled my dad differently in his last years of life. I should have visited him more, for starters. But what really nags at me is that back in 2016, we got in an argument. He was sending me multiple messages on Facebook insulting my husband (who had just lost his job) - he just wouldn't let up. "he needs to get over himself and go flip burgers if that's what it takes." "you can't be arrogant when you're jobless." "you're going to end up on the streets if he doesn't get his act together." It wasn't just one offhand comment, it was constant, and no matter how many times I said, "I know, dad. He's putting in applications. He's trying. He's looking," he wouldn't stop. I think he finally said something to the effect of, "he's never taken care of business like he should," and absolutely infuriated me. So I blocked him. And I left him blocked all the way up until March of this year, when he died.

I wish I'd gotten over myself and unblocked him after I'd cooled off. I could have been messaging him all those years. He was always home because he was disabled, and spent much of his time alone in front of his computer (he didn't do much phone talking, never did, but he liked messaging especially at the end of his life when he was too tired to stay awake long enough to hold a conversation in one shot - messaging gave him flexibility to return to it once he was awake). What I wouldn't give to be able to go back to 2016 and tell myself, you'll regret this when he's gone. Get over it and unblock him. Talk to him, because he won't be around much longer. I lost out on so much being a stubborn j-----s.

I think it shows great emotional insight to revisit these choices. And it will definitely help someone - no matter what they choose - to read these very thoughtful posts.

I am sorry for your loss and the frustration that you must have endured.

House purchase in 2005. ‘Nuff said. I will never not be angry and disgusted by how swept up we got in the hysteria. Fortunately, we were able to rent it out and have been for the last 10 years so we could maybe sell it for more than we paid now (Not that we’re going to yet).
Have you seen The Big Short? LOVE that movie. It explains so well what happened. I lost my job through all that and the front of the building I worked in was in the movie (though it was footage of the mortgage brokers from a different floor being let go - we got let go months later).

Have you seen The Big Short? LOVE that movie. It explains so well what happened. I lost my job through all that and the front of the building I worked in was in the movie (though it was footage of the mortgage brokers from a different floor being let go - we got let go months later).

No, but it sounds like I need to!

Pretty good. Also, watch Too Big To Fail and read the Fed chairman’s book.

I wish I had never moved to Sarasota/Bradenton. Nothing good came of it and in fact it wrecked me in several ways where I had to move back home and start everything all over again. I consider those 3-4 years "the dark years" because nothing good happened during that time.
Well, I still have the piercings I got when I was down there.

Currently that we went to the beach yesterday and the bath house was 5-10 minutes walk from the car and we forgot our masks in the car so we quickly went in and changed anyway instead of going back for masks. There was only one other family in there with us and now I am so paranoid. I am really warm right now and have a 99 degree temp (usually it is 97.3.) I am scared I caught Covid and also that we will have to quarantine for 14 days as DD has important tests next week (ice skating) and conformation in a week and a half and we have vacation in two weeks. I ALWAYS wear a mask and social distance. We limit where we go. I don’t know what I was thinking!!!!

Currently that we went to the beach yesterday and the bath house was 5-10 minutes walk from the car and we forgot our masks in the car so we quickly went in and changed anyway instead of going back for masks. There was only one other family in there with us and now I am so paranoid. I am really warm right now and have a 99 degree temp (usually it is 97.3.) I am scared I caught Covid and also that we will have to quarantine for 14 days as DD has important tests next week (ice skating) and conformation in a week and a half and we have vacation in two weeks. I ALWAYS wear a mask and social distance. We limit where we go. I don’t know what I was thinking!!!!
Too soon for symptoms. Don’t beat yourself up, just promise yourself it won’t happen again.

Not being motivated enough in my undergraduate degree-could have done something different. Now I am kind of stuck on a career path I don't really like.
This would be me too. I was the kind of kid that floated happily along with most things going pretty much my way. I was always comfortable with myself - but sometimes discomfort is the catalyst that drives ambition. 33 years later, I don’t even know what I might have been, if I’d really wanted to be anything at all. :scratchin

One thing is for sure - it’s too late to course-correct and I’m only in this for the money. I’ve got 10’ish years of peak-earning left and to try to pursue a more enjoyable line of work would be financial suicide.

When I was a newly wed I tried to distinguish an oven fire instead of getting out of the apartment, and calling the fire department; which I eventully did. It cost me the sight of my right eye, which I've coped with for almost 50 years now.

Last edited:
Not having the full college experience for me. My now DH and I started dating about a month before I moved to college, and he lived in the same area where I was moving for college. I had a single dorm room, moved into it, and slept maybe one night the whole semester there. I spent almost all my free time with DH. I gave up the dorm after the semester and we got an apartment together. Obviously everything worked out because I graduated and we're married now, but I do regret not having the college experience because I was living like a commuter, and I don't have any friends from college either.

My career. Feel completely stuck in it. It Has ruined other things in my life

I wish that I hadn't made the job choices I've made. I HATE job hunting so I tended to take the first offer. My jobs have gotten steadily worse with the current one being the worst. I'm scared to even think about another one. It has definitely been a downward spiral.

My biggest regret would be not going away to college. I was only 17 when I graduated and was what they call a young 17 (not very worldly or street smart). As Salutatorian I had scholarships to University of Tennessee and would just of had to pay room and board. Seems like I would have gotten the "full" college experience and there is no telling what different choices I would have made from there. Instead I went to Christian Brothers University (a top notch university) but local. I treated college as an extension of high school. I went to college during the day and then back to high school in the afternoon to help coach sports. I got my degree but never really "belonged" at the University.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter