What's with the all the people wearing Marathon medals for a week?

That's not what I did at all. I simply stated that the idea you were proposing was a safety concern in the context of a race. In that situation those vehicles are not a nuisance, they are a danger to both their riders and other competitors. As for it not being "what you meant" you came to a RunDisney thread and said "it would be neat to open it up to" the alternate modes of transportation. That's a very clear implication that you are referring to the races.

Out of curiosity, have you participated in a RunDisney event as a runner? If so, I would like to hear how you would safely incorporate the vehicles into situations where conditions are so tight on course that runners back up and are slowed to a shoulder to shoulder walk.

Strollers and ECVs are necessary to facilitate mobility and access within the parks and property. I'm not making any statement as to their being a nuisance in that context.

Sounds like the same proposition of "do you have kids" when I offer my opinion in a thread about kids. It is a discussion board and I was discussing. I ain't biting, but you have a great day there, Sunshine!

Sounds like the same proposition of "do you have kids" when I offer my opinion in a thread about kids. It is a discussion board and I was discussing. I ain't biting, but you have a great day there, Sunshine!

If you haven't experienced the crowding you have no basis to evaluate the feasibility of your suggestion.

Last edited:

How did this thread go from medals to ECV's? Yikes. Lol.

Somebody suggested that vehicles should be allowed in RunDisney races so no one would be "discriminated against" and got upset when I said it would be a safety concern.

Omg! That's it! This is all purely in a joking manner on my part but wouldn't it be neat to open it up to maybe bikes, skateboards, wheelchairs, etc! Cmon surely they would like to accommodate and not discriminate against those mobile in other ways!

They have hand cycles and ive seen a few people pushing disabled people in some sort of special stroller or chair (at Disneyland). The latter is not a typical thing. The hand bikes go first and finish first. Runners aren't around them. Seeing the stroller/chair shocked me because it's not expected and could really cause some injuries in a collision.

Three people wearing tutus during an event can clog up the road to the point where someone coming behind can end up jumping onto a bunch and leaping past to get by. Biking events would be a disaster. Not to mention they start before dawn and it's hard enough to see when you're running at x mph let along three times as fast on wheels!

That's what a I meant @jhorstma . I guess it was just time to cue this thread's version of the "stroller/ECVs are a nuisance" argument.

Seriously????

This is something that has actually always worried me about wearing my medal in the parks after a race--and I specifically thought of it on TOT--did you hold it down or tuck it in to your shirt? I've been worried the medal would fly up, hit me in the mouth, and chip a tooth!

Oh gosh no. They are too heavy to go out of control. The medal (which was glow in the dark) rose up a bit then went down slowly. It was just cool. Not dangerous. :)

Almost every opinion I had about kids pre-kid was correct. So I don't go there. But you truly do not know how crowded it is until you're halfway back in the corrals with massive crowding and turns in the dark and puddles if it rained and slippery bits on boardwalks etc. this one you actually do have to have experience with it.

Even corral A people don't know how bad it gets if they've never been there.

Personally, I enjoy seeing people wearing their medals after events, even if it's a week later. I've brought a number of extended family down to WDW for RunDisney events, and several of them were quite shocked and inspired by the "regular runners", as my sister-in-law called them, who were sporting medals. Several relatives have always felt a little uncomfortable participating in races, as they're not the "stereotypical runner", ultra-lean and able to run 5:00 miles for hours on end. I've told them for years running is for EVERYBODY, but when they saw the diverse crowds at RunDisney events, they really felt like they could belong as well without having to feel slow or unwelcome. So when you folks wear those medals, you're saying not only "I DID IT!" but also "YOU CAN TOO!" and you're inspiring people to live healthier lives and achieve goals they might've thought were impossible for them.
Happy running, all.

BikeFan, that is so true.

I'm actively traveling right now and in between posting and posting (lol) I went through tsa. DH and DS are walking normally and leaving me behind, so DH was explaining why I'm so slow and hobbly today (did the Rebel Challenge...which means I just finished the half 7 hours ago!) to the agent. She said she's always wanted to do the events but has a bad knee. She's probably 20 years younger than me and looks very fit. I let her know that I've seen people participate with broken feet in boots, and I saw two women today in full knee braces. She said "so if they can do it I can do it?" like it had never occurred to her. Absolutely. :)

Oh and I have the challenge medal looped on my tote handle. The other two medals are in the tote. They are just too heavy and clunky for me to deal with!

Just this morning the female race announcer today reminded us that we are "supposed to wear" the medals all week, and that tsa likes it when we wear the medals through security lol.

Personally, I enjoy seeing people wearing their medals after events, even if it's a week later. I've brought a number of extended family down to WDW for RunDisney events, and several of them were quite shocked and inspired by the "regular runners", as my sister-in-law called them, who were sporting medals. Several relatives have always felt a little uncomfortable participating in races, as they're not the "stereotypical runner", ultra-lean and able to run 5:00 miles for hours on end. I've told them for years running is for EVERYBODY, but when they saw the diverse crowds at RunDisney events, they really felt like they could belong as well without having to feel slow or unwelcome. So when you folks wear those medals, you're saying not only "I DID IT!" but also "YOU CAN TOO!" and you're inspiring people to live healthier lives and achieve goals they might've thought were impossible for them.
Happy running, all.

Seeing runners wearing their medals in the park is a huge motivator to my 15 year old dd. She longs to be a "clanker" like those she sees that do the challenges. She just ran her 2nd half this am at Star Wars and will be going not only for Coast to Coast but also her first challenge this year. She keeps her medals on for the day when we are DL and will take them to school to show her XC/Track teammates. I imagine when we go to WDW for her first run there she will wear the medal for the entire trip after. For her it's pride in finishing as she spends a lot of time training. For our WDW race trip a big part of it is the race is the BIG reason we are going. It won't be a typical trip for us as it will be race centered so less time in the parks and more running focused. So she will want to make the most out of her time there and having her medal on the entire trip is a way to celebrate.

Skipped from the first to last page, but my wife and I are among those who will wear our medals after the race for the day and carry them throughout the remainder of our trip for pictures thereafter -- we stop wearing them because they irritate our necks and snag our clothing. We only do this with Disney races since the run is a part of the entire vacation experience unlike our other local and destination runs with immediate departure.

For the money and atmosphere, not to mention something to distinguish character photos from the trips before/after, why not? :)

In the extremely unlikely event that I ever run a marathon I will never, ever, take my medal off!
I took it off eventually, but I wore mine for two days after the marathon. Even wore it to the airport Tuesday and I was not alone! Security gave me a big grin and said that they loved seeing them.

you're saying not only "I DID IT!" but also "YOU CAN TOO!" and you're inspiring people
Like me--I started planning for this marathon (my first) over a year ago and specifically chose Disney for this reason.

Final thought--in Disney parks, people wear all kinds of things that they would never wear while at home or on a different vacation. Fanny packs, lanyards, and "these little beauties" :earsboy: bonus point for identifying the quote :flower1:

I took it off eventually, but I wore mine for two days after the marathon. Even wore it to the airport Tuesday and I was not alone! Security gave me a big grin and said that they loved seeing them.

Like me--I started planning for this marathon (my first) over a year ago and specifically chose Disney for this reason.

Final thought--in Disney parks, people wear all kinds of things that they would never wear while at home or on a different vacation. Fanny packs, lanyards, and "these little beauties" :earsboy: bonus point for identifying the quote :flower1:

Soarin preshow. :)

Also, I've noticed far, far less people at DL wearing medals after the races. A few do but nowhere near the way it's done at WDW.
I noticed this at DL this past weekend as well. I only wore my challenge medal, because I didn't want to wear all three, as the challenge implied I ran the half and 10K, and while I did see some half and challenge medals, there were not a lot compared to WDW, and I think I was congratulated by a whole two CMs, whereas at WDW, it seemed that every person I came in contact with congratulated me

Last January was my first marathon. We arrived on Saturday morning for the Sunday WDW marathon. We stayed until the following Sunday and I wore my marathon medal the entire time. After the first few days I think most race participants had left (or decided to stop wearing their medals) because many people do several days before the race where we showed up just 1 day in advance. I haven't worn it since, but there was no stopping me after my first marathon.

This year was my third marathon (2nd Disney). I wore my medal into the airport when we left on Tuesday. We didn't even go to parks this trip, but I was wearing my medal non-stop after the race. Whether we went to Disney Springs or to check out random resorts, my medal was around my neck.

I ran the Chicago in October. We left immediately after the race, but I wore my medal in the van. Had we stayed that night, I'm sure I could've been seen with it around my neck.

It is a nice conversation starter. There are always people that are interested and somehow have no idea this is even going on during their vacation.

If people want to wear them so be it. I've run many rD races including the full and I usually only wear my medal(s) for that Monday or Tuesday, mostly because e rest of my crew/family wears their medals and we like to have group shots.

I actually find the physical wearing of medals (for me) to be bothersome as they start to scratch my neck. The only times I ever wear a medal is at Disney (for above reasons) otherwise I stick them right in my pocket and hang them up when I arrive home.

Now the shirts, I will wear for the duration of my stay and for many years after....

It's a conversation starter. It seems to bring the runDisney family together wherever we are.
I normally wear the medal in the park the day of, then wear a race shirt home. I've had conversations with other runDisney shirt folks from my local gym to layovers at airports across the country.

I also see Rock and Roll Marathon medals worn at airports and various attractions. R&R outside of Vegas though is more regional. Many Disney runners go to Disney parks after the race, R&R spread out more into surrounding attractions so you do not see as many.

No problem with showing off the medals earned from here.

My daughter ran her first half last week (DIY-style, Boardwalk edition!) with me and she was SO. STINKIN. PROUD. She wore that medal every day for a week. At first I was a little worried it would look silly of her, but then I decided to shut my mouth and let her celebrate. She's a 15yo girl who worked for months to achieve this, and she has a very healthy approach to her body, self-image, body image, goal setting, etc. That's so rare for teens! (And for WDW visitors in general.) And that girl was SO inspired by the Dopeys and Goofys she saw and she congratulated EVERY person she saw with a medal, even in the airport this past Saturday. I'm super grateful to them for wearing their medals all week, because it inspired both of us to aim even higher next race. (Goofy for her, Dopey for me.)

2016 was very rough for us, with cancer in the family and a few other heavy things, so I am glad that she wore that medal with pride all week. People wear Disney pins from events from years and years ago. I don't see the difference. :)

VP

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter