What's with the all the people wearing Marathon medals for a week?

Personally, I enjoy seeing people wearing their medals after events, even if it's a week later. I've brought a number of extended family down to WDW for RunDisney events, and several of them were quite shocked and inspired by the "regular runners", as my sister-in-law called them, who were sporting medals. Several relatives have always felt a little uncomfortable participating in races, as they're not the "stereotypical runner", ultra-lean and able to run 5:00 miles for hours on end. I've told them for years running is for EVERYBODY, but when they saw the diverse crowds at RunDisney events, they really felt like they could belong as well without having to feel slow or unwelcome. So when you folks wear those medals, you're saying not only "I DID IT!" but also "YOU CAN TOO!" and you're inspiring people to live healthier lives and achieve goals they might've thought were impossible for them.
Happy running, all.

I will say I wear my medals proudly, and after seeing/eyeing my friend's 10k and half medals for days, she and other runners inspired me to aim longer, I tackled my first Quarter marathon locally in horrible heat conditions and my first 10k at Disney and this year am tackling my first half !! My BFF along with my local running buds have inspired/egged me on and will be there to cheer me in or drag my princess butt to that finish line.

ill wear a pin or shirt or something after. those medals are heavy. more power to people who can actually walk around in them.

Shhhhh....Disney may start charging us to ride the peoplemover by calling it a VIP post-race retreat party exclusive experience.

(Actually I kinda like that idea; especially if they pass us snacks along the way and allow napping.)
I've often thought that Disney needs to refurbish Spaceship Earth into a separate ticketed experience with recliners, snacks, and premium beverage service - the perfect place for that well-deserved nap after a full day in the park and for special events, like a VIP post-race retreat.

I've often thought that Disney needs to refurbish Spaceship Earth into a separate ticketed experience with recliners, snacks, and premium beverage service - the perfect place for that well-deserved nap after a full day in the park and for special events, like a VIP post-race retreat.

Back in the day, my employer was a major sponsor of Epcot in general and the Universe of Energy in particular. As employees, would could get discount tickets and had a lounge area behind the scenes with snacks, drinks, and a place to relax.

I have no problem with it at all and am so glad to see people feeling pride in their accomplishments. And I like the conversations between runners and others they provoke. But I always think how uncomfortable it is! The medals are so big the whenever they are on, they feel so heavy! I usually only wear medals to get pictures I want with them, like the money shot in front of the castle or Spaceship Earth and then take em off as soon as I can. I also like to get my medals from runDisney races signed by the character on it so carry them around in my bag when in the parks after running.

I also like to get my medals from runDisney races signed by the character on it so carry them around in my bag when in the parks after running.

What an awesome idea! Love it!!!

Do you get them to sign the front or back?

I'd love to see pix if you're willing!

I wore my meals AND a goofy Marie the cat hat while in Cali for lightside. And I wore my Dopey medal onto my cruise (along with many proud others). I'm so lame.:rotfl:

Seriously though, its fun, its not harming anyone, it makes for great photos and you are on vacation in Disney. Be a little silly.

Edited to add: put me in the crying camp too. Especially this time for the marathon, when they started playing one of my all time favorite songs (and my favorite Paul Simon song) Call me Al right as I entered the finish line area.:sad:

My most recent race was the 10k on 1/14 in Disneyland. I wore the medal on and off for 3 or 4 days, mostly because i bought a weeks worth of photopass and they didn't have as many photograohers on the course as they do in wdw. Trying to get my money's worth. Considering the problem i have been having with my feet, i didnt think i was going to finish. I finished 2 minutes ahead of pace and felt really proud since i really couldn't train (i walked).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter