• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's your poison?

I would agree except it's hard to go right with this drink at a bar. Even if you get the top-shelf gin (which is usually something prole like Tanq or Hendricks) they're gonna float a half glass of Schwepps over top of it.
I've had some G&Ts ruined because of this, but most of the time, they just give me a can of tonic so then I can make my own measurements to ensure I don't float it too much.
This makes me feel like I should never try G&T w/o a pro along at the bar with me

This makes me feel like I should never try G&T w/o a pro along at the bar with me
Rarely get one at the bar, not as an early drink anyway; after a few drinks it doesn't really matter.

But really it's so simple that as long as the Gin and the Tonic are decent you can't go wrong. The Tonic is usually the weak link though. There are some great tonic waters, Fever Tree and Q-Tonic for example, but in a bar you're likely to just get Schwepps or Canada Dry or whatever they have in the gun.

Unsolicited Gin recommendation... Millers is the best London style dry gin. No contest (imo). Best for spirit-forward cocktails and Martinis. Can be great in a G&T but lacks the range of flavors for a summer thirst-killer.

For a 'sweeter" gin, Hendricks comes in as a nice mid-shelf option but the flavor profile pushes it outside most traditional drinks. French and Dutch style gins like maybe Bols are a great way to open up the traditional gin flavor without tasting like turpentine.

If you need a solid middle road top shelf gin, American styles like Aviator (Deadpool Gin), Magellan, or the newer Death's Door gin are great. And if you want a great Scottish gin, pass the Hendricks and get The Botanist Islay Dry Gin.

I'm actually more of a beer-drinker, but I got this little jewel in a email a couple of weeks ago. It's called "The Don," and it's from our favorite San Francisco restaurant -- Scoma's.

It's a Bloody Mary, made with their own house-made mix, but with a giant prawn, bacon-wrapped scallop, crab cake, and fried veggie balls added.

Unfortunately, The Don takes 8 minutes to make...so they give you a free draft beer while you wait.

Pictures can be deceiving, but it looks like it might possibly be yummy!

View attachment 525386
Check out what my friend and I had in Monterey last weekend - lots of goodies including my first oyster on the half shell!bloody mary.jpg

Rain Vodka. It's so smooth going down.

https://www.rainvodka.com/home.html

It really depends on my mood.

I love a good Lemon Drop, or a Chai Tea Latte martini when hanging out with the girls.

Mojito with Caribbean food; watermelon or strawberry margarita with Mexican; screwdrivers or whiskey/coke when I want to mellow my mind. Shots of tequila if I want to get totaled.

Not big on beer or most wines; but I find I like a good Prosecco, or a Moscato. Also, like Stella Rosa wines; they seem, IDK, less harsh? on my tongue. https://stellarosawines.com/our-wines
I have to thank you, I finally got some Rain vodka and I love it! I've also made the chai latte martini and it was awesome - I'm going to have one tonight in fact

I have to thank you, I finally got some Rain vodka and I love it! I've also made the chai latte martini and it was awesome - I'm going to have one tonight in fact

Woot! So glad I can get someone on the awesome chai latte martini and Rain vodka trains. We're having those this weekend...and I'm going for my first tattoo. At 49. :oops:

Next up Stella Rosa wines! Love those too!

I can't believe this hasn't been revived since Sept. 2020, especially with the Covid thing.

I have always been an Old Fashioned drinker mostly with Four Roses or Whistle Pig.

I have recently been making Manhattans. I really like Johnnie Walker High Rye W/ Cinzano Vermouth. I also put in a moonshine cherry and about a teaspoon of the cherry juice.

👍 A good bourbon neat...water with no ice on the side. Although my favorites are allocated and harder to find nowadays.
I've moved on to Maker's Mark -- a decent, fairly smooth bourbon. I do try others now and again -- Woodford Reserve, etc. I'm not a posh bourbon drinker for the most part.

I've moved on to Maker's Mark -- a decent, fairly smooth bourbon. I do try others now and again -- Woodford Reserve, etc. I'm not a posh bourbon drinker for the most part.

I used to make my old fashioneds exclusively with Makers. I started going to a whiskey bar near my home and they exclusively make theirs with Four Roses small batch. I've been on that kick lately. Love Makers though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter