When Did I get Voted Off of Skinny Island #2: Castaway's Land Ho!!!!

I'll probably be doing Weight Watchers also. I've done it in the past (3 times in the last 10 years). It worked well for me when I stuck to the meetings (I've made lifetime twice), but I always put the weight back on when I stopped going. First time (when DS was 18mo) I got down to my healthy high school weight and it seemed so easy. Since then it has gotten progressively harder to drop the weight and I gain it back almost immediately (and then some).

I have to dig my books back out from my first visit to WW. I think my point range was 25-27 a day or something like that. I never did well with the flex points, too easy for me to get off track. So I'm going to stick with the old fashioned plan. Seemed to work well way back when. :thumbsup2

Dsis and I are going to try to get back to the track this week as well. When we stick with it, we walk about 45 minutes and probably go a couple miles. Not going to be fun as hot/humid as it's been lately, but she'll get me there.
My biggest problem is midday. I'm a day care provider and for about two and a half hours (from noon to 2 or so - nap) I have to stay pretty quiet and still so the kids will sleep. I have a bad tendency to graze the entire time. So, if anyone wants to meet me for lunch and keep me on track I would greatly appreciate it!! :worship:

I have to dig my books back out from my first visit to WW. I think my point range was 25-27 a day or something like that. I never did well with the flex points, too easy for me to get off track. So I'm going to stick with the old fashioned plan. Seemed to work well way back when. :thumbsup2

Dsis and I are going to try to get back to the track this week as well. When we stick with it, we walk about 45 minutes and probably go a couple miles. Not going to be fun as hot/humid as it's been lately, but she'll get me there.
My biggest problem is midday. I'm a day care provider and for about two and a half hours (from noon to 2 or so - nap) I have to stay pretty quiet and still so the kids will sleep. I have a bad tendency to graze the entire time. So, if anyone wants to meet me for lunch and keep me on track I would greatly appreciate it!! :worship:

Hey Susan! We're both in Indiana! :cool1:

WW really does work when you stick with it. I'm doing the calorie counting thing because it's a lot easier for me to keep track of rather than figuring out points values for everything. I do have some older WW materials from when my mom joined up (basically just to get the literature, lol)...if it turns out that just counting calories is not enough, I'll probably switch over to WW points.

I have a similar problem! I take care of my grandma in her home on weekdays, and she sleeps for most of the afternoon...there's not a whole lot to do over there and I certainly can't leave (even to go outside for a few minutes or something), so I end up munching! popcorn::

Hey Susan! We're both in Indiana! :cool1:

WW really does work when you stick with it. I'm doing the calorie counting thing because it's a lot easier for me to keep track of rather than figuring out points values for everything. I do have some older WW materials from when my mom joined up (basically just to get the literature, lol)...if it turns out that just counting calories is not enough, I'll probably switch over to WW points.

I have a similar problem! I take care of my grandma in her home on weekdays, and she sleeps for most of the afternoon...there's not a whole lot to do over there and I certainly can't leave (even to go outside for a few minutes or something), so I end up munching! popcorn::

Don't suppose you have access to the internet over there, Dana??? :surfweb:
If not, maybe we can brainstorm some creative solutions for ourselves to get through the long/boring afternoon hours. I'm from southeastern Indiana, about halfway between Indy and Cinci.
Oh, and I forgot to mention before, I'm not going to do the WW meetings, just following the literature I already have. So the folks on here will have to make me accountable. I don't feel like I can spend the money right now to go to the meetings and (in all honesty) I'm embarassed to go back without losing some weight first. It's been the same director in my small town all these years. I'm tired of facing her right back where I started from. :sad2:

Hi Sunny! :wave2:

I'm not following a set diet plan...I've set a daily maximum intake for myself of 1500 cal/day.
I just went grocery shopping yesterday and bought a lot of healthy snacks and some veggieburgers, WW ice cream bars, and low-calorie frozen meals. I feel like I'm hardly ever home so the frozen meals work well for me (or rather they have in the past).

I've *always* been overweight, but it's ballooned in the past few years. I lost almost 40 lbs last year and then proceeded to put it all back on and then some. :headache: So basically, I'm aware it can be done since I've done it before, I just have a really big problem maintaining. A big event will come up and throw me off for a day or a week and then I just cave and give up. Bad attitude. Gotta get myself in gear again!

We can do it! :cheer2:

I've been struggling with my weight since Drew was born, and he was 20 last month.

Jen is my 25 year old daughter. She has Type 2 diabetes and I started trying to really get serious about losing weight to try and motivate her. She finally got on board and lost about 35#'s. She's doing better at maintaining her weight loss than I am. Her doc says if she loses another 25, she might be able to get off her meds.

Don't suppose you have access to the internet over there, Dana??? :surfweb:
If not, maybe we can brainstorm some creative solutions for ourselves to get through the long/boring afternoon hours.

I do, we basically had to get cable tv and internet access for the various family members that stay over there so we wouldn't all go batty! :eek:

I find myself less likely to snack now that I've become obsessed with browsing the DIS. :laughing: Before that...forget it, if there was ice cream in the freezer or chips in the house they were quickly in my belly.

What do you do while the kids are asleep? I'd probably take a nap myself, lol. I like to read, which is what I was doing a lot of before we got technologically connected over at Grandma's.

Some other ideas would be something crafty (crochet, cross-stitch, scrapbooking, painting). I find if there's something to keep both hands busy I'm a lot less likely to eat just because the food's there, or from boredom. I like to do jigsaw puzzles too.

I definitely understand not wanting to go to WW meetings...I've never joined because I don't feel like I have the funds.

Hi castaways! I'm back from vacation and subbing. I'll do my update intro post later on when I have time. I have to go to bed and dream away the weight I probably gained over the last 12 days!!! HA!
No, I'm really tired, having gotten up at 4:00 a.m. to get a flight home from FL today. So I'll catch up tomorrow.
Hope all are well!!

Exercise: 4.5 mile walk :woohoo:

Breakfast - Multigrain Cheerios w/ milk
Lunch - scrambled egg w/ cheese & veggies; sausage patty; English muffin; orange juice
Snack - Nature Valley Roasted Almond Granola Nut Clusters
Dinner - leftover Fiesta Lime Chicken
Dessert - WW Ice Cream Candy Bar

Total - 1465 cal
Water - 64 oz

I'm tracking my water intake too, goal is to get at least 64 oz/day.

August 8 Done! :goodvibes

I do, we basically had to get cable tv and internet access for the various family members that stay over there so we wouldn't all go batty! :eek:

I find myself less likely to snack now that I've become obsessed with browsing the DIS. :laughing: Before that...forget it, if there was ice cream in the freezer or chips in the house they were quickly in my belly.

What do you do while the kids are asleep? I'd probably take a nap myself, lol. I like to read, which is what I was doing a lot of before we got technologically connected over at Grandma's.

Some other ideas would be something crafty (crochet, cross-stitch, scrapbooking, painting). I find if there's something to keep both hands busy I'm a lot less likely to eat just because the food's there, or from boredom. I like to do jigsaw puzzles too.

I definitely understand not wanting to go to WW meetings...I've never joined because I don't feel like I have the funds.

Since I started planning our trip to Disney last year, I've been hanging out on the internet during nap. Our trip is over now, but I've gotten addicted, so I'm still hanging around. I really can't sleep during nap, although I'll admit it has crossed my mind. I get pretty sleepy during those hours since I'm up at 4:40 every day and tend to stay up till 10 or so every night. I really should get to bed earlier.
I tried walking the treadmill during nap, but the noise kept waking the light sleepers up, so that's out. I do some paperwork, dust, fold a little laundry, wash a few dishes, eat my lunch, sooth restless babies, and bounce on and off the computer regularly too.
I may jump on that painting idea of yours. I've done a little painting in the past for Christmas gifts and I could do that again this year. But I'll have to pick up some supplies first. The only paint I have here is washable tempera paint, not the best medium for "real painting."
My first little one arrives early, but then goes back to sleep on the couch; so I'm up and "at work", but bored in the AM too! (Oh, and my early riser is turning three today, so her mother arrived with doughnut holes to share for breakfast and cupcakes for snack. :eek: Thanks mom! Day One and it's going to be difficult.:sad2:)
So far, I've only had my coffe. I try to wait until 8 or so for my breakfast, otherwise I'm hungry again long before lunch. It's a vicious cycle. Hope everyone has a great and successful day today. (Myself included! :rotfl2:)

Since I started planning our trip to Disney last year, I've been hanging out on the internet during nap. Our trip is over now, but I've gotten addicted, so I'm still hanging around. I really can't sleep during nap, although I'll admit it has crossed my mind. I get pretty sleepy during those hours since I'm up at 4:40 every day and tend to stay up till 10 or so every night. I really should get to bed earlier.
I tried walking the treadmill during nap, but the noise kept waking the light sleepers up, so that's out. I do some paperwork, dust, fold a little laundry, wash a few dishes, eat my lunch, sooth restless babies, and bounce on and off the computer regularly too.
I may jump on that painting idea of yours. I've done a little painting in the past for Christmas gifts and I could do that again this year. But I'll have to pick up some supplies first. The only paint I have here is washable tempera paint, not the best medium for "real painting."
My first little one arrives early, but then goes back to sleep on the couch; so I'm up and "at work", but bored in the AM too! (Oh, and my early riser is turning three today, so her mother arrived with doughnut holes to share for breakfast and cupcakes for snack. :eek: Thanks mom! Day One and it's going to be difficult.:sad2:)
So far, I've only had my coffe. I try to wait until 8 or so for my breakfast, otherwise I'm hungry again long before lunch. It's a vicious cycle. Hope everyone has a great and successful day today. (Myself included! :rotfl2:)

Good Luck with resisting the temptations!

:scared1: +2 for the week. Although I am certainly not happy with the gain it is better than I feared. :rolleyes1

Good luck to everyone, enjoy your week! I will post my intro soon, and if I can find any pictures I may even post before and after. :cool:

Welcome to all the new castaways.:rainbow:

Ok, I just copied and posted my post from the other chapter...

Ok, confession time, I have fallen off the band wagon and HARD, too...

We have less than 4 weeks until we leave for Vegas and I'm really disappointed in myself. I am nowhere close to where I KNOW I could be. I am getting back on the band wagon with exercise and diet NOW. There is a good chance I could lose 10 pounds before we go and that wuold make me happy.

With the puppies its like having 2 newborns. Its easier to just eat crappy and deal than it is to eat healthy and run and work out. we have another 5k that we are doing as a group thru work coming up Sept 26 and I NEED to get moving. I am bound and determined to be able to run it in less than 30 minutes.

Time to go, Harley just peed on the floor

You can do this :thumbsup2 10 pounds in 4 weeks can totally be done, so keep trying. I know what you mean about wanting to take the easy way out with food. With school starting soon, we'll be running in 4 different directions so I know it'll just be easier to eat on the go. But then I realize I'd have to admit it to you guys :rolleyes1 ;)

So today was my daughter’s 1st birthday!:bday:

Happy birthday to your little one! pixiedust: Aren't you just amazed at how quickly that first year has gone by?

So....tomorrow begins the first school night for me. And Summer Reading: Still Not Done

My life gets a whole lot busier from this point on...anyway.. Somebody Kick Me please, because I fell off the raft today, and am rapidly sinking in the ocean.. I need motivation. (One of my friends told me she would throw a party for me when I hit my goal weight, but I need a little more motivation...anybody got a good quote, or a good slap in the face?)

Nope, not gonna kick you.... yet. Patrick, you've done an amazing job and if you want to take a day off that's OK. Now if you tell me that your "day off" has turned into a month, then we'll have a chat.

First Name and Screen name:Sunny SunnyB1066

What your Goal Is for Fitness:Just realized I am 116 days to my Disney Trip and would love to be a little lighter when I go.

Food that you Find Hardest to Eat in Moderation:Cake, cookies, candy, just about anything sweet.

Favorite Good Food for You:Veggie Fajitas

Favorite Form of Exercise: Walking. I would really love to be able to run, but I've got lose some weight and increase my endurance before that happens.

What Your Goal is For Yourself when you get to Skinny Island:I don't know, be able to run a 5K or 1/2?

Family:DH Thomas. DD Jen 24. DS Drew 20.

I joined this thread last winter, and I fell off rather quickly. I've GOT to get back on track and quite losing and gaining the same 20, and I need some help.

I've been fighting a losing battle with my weight for the last 15 years and would like to get back in control. This is my first visit to the WISH part of the boards and you all have inspired me. Hope you don't mind if I join you all.

First Name and Screen name: Susan (indimom)
What your Goal Is for Fitness: I'd like to be a healthy weight and more physically fit. To lose 50 pounds and figure out how to keep it off would be like a dream. I also would like to set a better example for my children. I'm also concerned for my health. I come with a family history of high blood pressure and diabetes and I know my eating habits are fueling the fire.
Food that you Find Hardest to Eat in Moderation: Carbs are definitely my issue. When I start, I can't stop.
Favorite Good Food for You: I actually like most veggies: asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, salad. I just never seem to reach for them first??
Favorite Form of Exercise: I enjoy biking and walking. I prefer to be outdoors and seeing the world. I'm not a fan of treadmills and gyms.
What Your Goal is For Yourself when you get to Skinny Island: Just to stay there. To be able to maintain the weight I lose. I've lost the same 30 pounds over and over again. I always seem to fall off the wagon at some point and I want the yo-yo dieting to stop.
Family: Matt, my hubby of 15 years. Daughter Emily (13 now) and son Garren (10).

First Name and Screen name: Dana (joyfulDisneytears)
What your Goal Is for Fitness: I would like to lose 85 more pounds, but would be ecstatic if I could just get under 200.
Food that you Find Hardest to Eat in Moderation: DAIRY...cheese and ice cream
Favorite Good Food for You: fresh fruit
Favorite Form of Exercise: walking (I can jog a bit, but I can't say I enjoy it! :laughing:)
What Your Goal is For Yourself when you get to Skinny Island: participate in a race at a Disney Park, and revisit WDW to retake all those pictures I took with the skinny princesses that made me look positively gigantic :scared1:
Family: No hubby or kids yet. I've got my DBF (Jared). Hmm...I'm an only child still living with my parents (Dad-63, Mom-57). I take care of my ailing grandma (94) around 50 hours a week. I have a Himalayan kitty named Smokey. :cat:

Here's a pic of DBF & me on our October 2008 WDW visit...I'm probably 10-15 lbs heavier right now than I am in the pic.

image028-1.jpg

Welcome aboard Sunny, Susan and Dana! I'm another one following WW and it's working well for me. I'm using the online tools only and I really like them. I hardly ever use my flex or exercise points. Last week I was really bad about tracking my exercise - I was doing it, I just didn't want to bother with entering it in the tool. Gotta get back on track with that this week.

Hi castaways! I'm back from vacation and subbing.

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

This week I'm -2 :woohoo: I'm seriously thinking about dropping my goal weight by at least another 5, maybe 10 pounds. This week was a bit of a fluke and the weight is coming off slower now, so it may take a while to get there.

Sara, I'm in the same boat. We seem to have paddled backwards a small amount this week!! :sad2:

I'm up .2 for the week. I'm up for the first time in eleven weeks and it's just a tiny amount though, so I'm not going to complain. Although I did track carefully and stay within my points, I did eat a TON of food and not all of it has made it's way through my system yet so hopefully next Monday's weigh in will be a joyful one.

My sister reminded me, yet again this past weekend that at her WW meetings they stress how much more difficult it is to lose weight in the summer. She told me that if I was maintaining for the month of August I should consider myself lucky. Just thought I would pass that info along here in case they are some who have been disappointed with their lack of progress as of late.

Welcome back Sheree!! :wave2::wave2:Did you have a great time?? Can't wait to hear all about it.

Just want to give a big shout out to all the newbies out there and bid them a fond welcome. It looks as though a couple of you have already made yourself at home here. That's GREAT!! :thumbsup2

Good morning all!

:welcome: Dana, Susan, and Sunny! You may want to check out SparkPeople, there are a few of us here using it, and personally, I love it. It's free and tracks cals and fitness..tells you how much protein, carbs and fat you should be eating a day. My understanding is that it's similar to weight watchers w/out the points thing.

Sheree- Hope you had a great vacation!

Sara- Sorry the scale wasn't a bit friendlier this morning!

I am at -3 for the week! That puts me at 218, which makes me happy..I like going down into the next lowest tens..makes me grin. I'm thinking the trouble I was having a few weeks ago was a plateau, which makes me feel better. I've got about a week and a half until Piper gets home, hopefully I can squeeze off another 3 this week if I keep working as hard as I have at the exercise. I took a day off walking yesterday, but swam laps for about 20 mins and did some other water stuff. I've got to return envelopes tomorrow so I'll stay busy today finishing those up!

Tracking-
Breakfast- Eggbeaters omelette w/ leftover steak and 2% american cheese, english muffin, brummel & brown.
Lunch- Organic cinnamon toast crunch, skim.
Dinner- Chix, salad, broccoli & cheese.
Snacks- 1/2 scone, RF ice cream, pineapple, string cheese.
Cals- 1556 (1500-1850)

Aug 8th- Done!

I am up almost to where I started after a week on vacation :scared1: Not that I'd lost a lot, only 6 pounds... But I am bound and determined to get moving and get serious about this now. I have 3.5 weeks until Vegas.

I am not even going to bother tracking for last week. It was a nightmare. I think that is where my downfall happened. I stopped tracking so I didn't have to be accountable to myself or anyone else so I didn't worry about it. I will track 5/7 days this week and run 3/7 days. That is my goal for myself for the week.

What is everyone else's goals for the week?

weight: same same same! I still retain the right to keep my tree. :rotfl:Have been stuck at a 5 pound loss since this shortly after I joined this board...

congrats to the losers! So impressed!

Starting up school this week (I'm a :teacher:), so I will not be here as much - school starting tends to consume my brain...

Welcome to the new folks! You will enjoy being here :thumbsup2

So Patrick...once I got a fortune cookie that said "The worst form of failure is the failure to try." That really sticks with me. At least try each day - don't give up!

So....tomorrow begins the first school night for me. And Summer Reading: Still Not Done hmmmm sounds like my DD....

QUOTE]

I could really use some suggestions from y'all on something.....

My oldest DS is 13. He has suddenly found himself hungry all of the time. I know, it's probably growing boy stuff and all that. He seems to do fine during the day, but at night he gets REALLY hungry, sometimes at 10:00 or later (he's a night owl like DH, and DH will often let him stay up later than I would like, but that's another topic altogether :rolleyes: ) He's a little on the chubby side so I'm worried about him making good choices, but I don't want him to go to bed hungry all the time. So do you have any good suggestions for things he could snack on? I suggested trail mix - any other ideas? Oh, I should also mention he's a picky eater.

My oldest DS is 13. He has suddenly found himself hungry all of the time. I know, it's probably growing boy stuff and all that. He seems to do fine during the day, but at night he gets REALLY hungry, sometimes at 10:00 or later (he's a night owl like DH, and DH will often let him stay up later than I would like, but that's another topic altogether :rolleyes: ) He's a little on the chubby side so I'm worried about him making good choices, but I don't want him to go to bed hungry all the time. So do you have any good suggestions for things he could snack on? I suggested trail mix - any other ideas? Oh, I should also mention he's a picky eater.

Celery with Peanut Butter?
A bowl of cereal with skim?
Any piece of fruit, a healthier granola bar...

My mind isn't functioning well today, thats about all I have right now.

I am up almost to where I started after a week on vacation :scared1: Not that I'd lost a lot, only 6 pounds... But I am bound and determined to get moving and get serious about this now. I have 3.5 weeks until Vegas.

I am not even going to bother tracking for last week. It was a nightmare. I think that is where my downfall happened. I stopped tracking so I didn't have to be accountable to myself or anyone else so I didn't worry about it. I will track 5/7 days this week and run 3/7 days. That is my goal for myself for the week.

What is everyone else's goals for the week?

My goals for the week are 24 miles walking, and at least 3 other exercise sessions..either with the wii or in the pool. Stay between 1500-1600 cals at least 4 days (range is 1500-1850). Get Piper's room cleaned!!! :scared1:

Barb- What I'd been letting Piper snack on were things like light string cheese, the new nature valley granola thins, baked lays/cheetos, fruit, frozen yogurt, 100 cal bags of popcorn...she seemed to enjoy it, and the things like the baked lays and granola thins were close enough to "junk" food, that she didn't feel deprived.

Congrats to all who lost this past week, and also to those who are maintaining! :thumbsup2

I just reported my current weight, rather than my starting weight, since this is my first week with the thread. (Hopefully I understood it correctly and that was what I was supposed to do?) I did lose a few last week though! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter