When Did I get Voted Off of Skinny Island #2: Castaway's Land Ho!!!!

OK, I'm finally back to tell you guys about The Sully Incident.

We were at DCA and getting our free Disney Visa photo taken. After we came out of the photo area, DH stopped to chat with a CM about the elecTRONica stuff all around us. While they were chatting, I happened to look over and saw Sully posing for pictures, and there was a small-ish line to meet him. This is one character we’ve never seen and the kids thought a photo would be fun.

Here’s the thing about meeting characters. My kids are older so they don’t do autograph books any more. They like getting pictures done but if the line is too long forget it, they’d rather be on rides. I love getting their pictures because I like watching them grow up around the characters year after year. I think I have a picture of them by Buzz Lightyear every time we’ve gone, and they look a tad bigger in each one. It’s not something we feel like we HAVE to do, but if the opportunity is right we’ll do it.

And this opportunity was right. So we went over and got in the line. The CM came up behind us and closed the line, so we were the last people in line. When there were about 3 groups left in line, Sully started kind of inching away from his spot. It was real subtle at first, but then he started taking these little steps to the side. One family rushed up to him and quickly got their picture. Then Sully’s steps started getting a little bigger, so the next family also rushed up for a picture. Now Sully was still moving, so that was quite a challenge. (The PhotoPass guy had disappeared by this point, no clue where he went.)

Now this was about when chaos broke out. After that group had taken their picture, we were next. But Sully was done. He started walking away. We were a little stunned and started to ask the CM when we should come back, but he told us to follow him. He starts calling out, “Sully, this family was next, they were waiting. Sully? SULLY!!!” Sully was kind of ignoring him, and I could see why – he was being mobbed. I honestly have no idea where all of these people came from, but they were everywhere. I watched at least 5 different groups pose near Sully and snap pictures while the CM was trying to get us over there. So Sully finally stops, and the kids and I go to stand by him for our picture. The CM can’t work the camera so DH has to take it. And then this family shoves their 2 little kids in the picture with us. So we have our picture with Sully…. Minus DH and plus 2 random strange kids:

DSCN2611.jpg

After that, poor Sully practically RAN away, with people yelling at him to come back the entire time.

DH and I were floored. Not so much by the guests, because I've read enough on this board to know the crazy stuff people will do. But the total inability of the CM to control the crowd was astounding. Honestly, we didn't want a picture with Sully THAT bad and were ready to leave, but the poor CM was trying so hard for us that we felt obligated to stay. We saw this frequently throughout our stay - guests chasing down characters as they were walking away. Once poor Alice could NOT get rid of a family, but the Mad Hatter had run off and left her to fend for herself. It just really illustrated a stark contrast between how character meets are handled in WDW and in DCA.

Wow! That's craaaaazy!

People are scary sometimes, aren't they?

I think an incident like that would put me off character meets. Personally, I've always enjoyed doing character meals and avoiding the whole standing in line thing. This past trip was the first time DD actually insisted we line up to meet characters but (as you say) DW handles things much better because we never had any problems at all.

I'm glad you were able to have a great trip in spite of the chaos.

First Name and Screen name:
"Wenna", "geekymummy" (on AIM, I love chatting and don't bite *much* but am horrible about unannounced AFKs so be warned!)

Welcome Wenna!! Glad to have you going our group.

I have to ask, what are AIM and AFKs? I'm feeling really old that I have to ask, but its driving me crazy.

Must get over this quick - I have a Girl Scout cookie booth this weekend and only 11 more days til we leave!!! I have wiped down the house with disinfectant - door knobs, handles, faucets, remotes...

Going back to nap some more. Love having a laptop so I can stay in bed!!
Sheree - I hope you are feeling better. Have you tried gargling with Listerine? Whenever we are starting to come down with something its "gargle with listerine and break out the zicam lozenges" knocks the little buggers out quickly.

My family drama still continues - my brother has been in the hospital since Monday night. Were waiting to hear from the doctor what is going on. Hopefully we'll have a better idea soon. At least with him in the hospital we know that he is exactly where he needs to be to get some help.

We missed one day of walking this week, luckily it was the Easy week for training. Jim mentioned that he might want to sign up for a Boot Camp at the Y starting in March. It kind of scares me, but I think I'm going to join him. More movement will be better and help increase my stamina.

Heather - what exactly is the program that you will be doing for 90 days? I haven't heard of that one before.

Barb - I'm always amazed at how forcefull how parents are when trying to get some time with the characters. When I was little they didn't have meet and greet areas, you just had to jump in and get the picture, you were lucky if you were the only family in the picture. I agree I like the way they do it at WDW much better.

Julie - you are SO close! I'm just in awe of how dedicated you are and keep moving towards your goal. I had reached onederland and then life just happened and now I'm trying to get back there.

Ok, better get back to work. Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Jane

Hiya gals (and guys? I've not read through the entire thread, so don't be offended dudes!)

Can I join in the reindeer games? :goodvibes I need some camaraderie. Not to belittle my husband's camaraderie, as I love him dearly, but ya know what I'm saying. :laughing:

First Name and Screen name:
"Wenna", "geekymummy" (on AIM, I love chatting and don't bite *much* but am horrible about unannounced AFKs so be warned!)

What your Goal Is for Fitness:
Any sort of physical activity would be a vast improvement. :rolleyes1

Food that you Find Hardest to Eat in Moderation:
Popcorn. Dark Chocolate. Noodle Dishes (pancit canton, pad thai, etc.) Strawberries. (If I could, I'd eat strawberries until I was camped out in the bathroom. I know that's TMI, but I'm being honest here.)

Favorite Good Food for You:
Strawberries (see above). Oatmeal. All fruit perhaps.

Favorite Form of Exercise:
Long walks. ("on the beach, in the moonlight" -- kidding)

What Your Goal is For Yourself when you get to Skinny Island:
To look in the mirror and be happy at the much-smaller me smiling back.

Family:
Hubby is my chubby cohort. We're on this diet together. He's good at listening to me complain ... or at least pretending to listen. My bebe is a 3-almost-4 year old terror whom I love with all my heart and more. She's belligerent, whip-smart and my mini-me (and that's a scary thought). I'm keeping treats around for her that would've otherwise been thrown out. True love, I tell ya. True love and will power! :love:

A little background on chubby me:
Back in 2003, we decided to go on Atkins. I was thoroughly disgusted with my appearance and had to do something about it. Lost 65-ish pounds, felt fanTABulous. We then moved overseas so my way of eating completely changed. Even with this, we managed to keep the weight down. Moved *again* and got preggers. Preggers led to chubby. So, here I am about to hop back on the crazy diet wagon -- albeit South Beach this time -- and train ourselves to stop overeating and make the right food choices for us. We started this past Monday.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Hello to all and happy to have found you! :goodvibes

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Wenna!!! We are a fun group!

I'm home today sufering from some crappy sore throat, headache and bit of a fever. Dh has had it too so I know where it came from. The good thing is that it's so hard to swallow, I'm not wanting to eat a lot. We got chinese last night and I barely ate half. That's unusual! Today I'm sticking with tea and toast and lots of honey!
Must get over this quick - I have a Girl Scout cookie booth this weekend and only 11 more days til we leave!!! I have wiped down the house with disinfectant - door knobs, handles, faucets, remotes...

Going back to nap some more. Love having a laptop so I can stay in bed!!

I can't believe I gave you the creeping crud through the computer. ;)I'm so sorry. This after all my complaining people should keep their kids home and here I am spreading it all over the DIS...anyhoo, hope it doesn't last very long! Keep drinking liquids!

Had one of those "starting again" days yesterday. Felt good to not go to bed feeling guilty about any food choices:thumbsup2 Gearing up to go to exercise class in a bit here. Should be a good day:)

:scared1:Just about to go and start the first P90X routine!:scared1:

I will be back later and will fill those in who asked about it and I still promise to put up a few pictures from the trip.

Thanks for the additional warm welcomes. :goodvibes

My only dieting tribulation of this week has been wanting to lick the chocolate icing off my kiddo's fingers but then resisting... but only because I know how disgustingly dirty her hands can be. :eek:

Welcome Wenna!! Glad to have you going our group.

I have to ask, what are AIM and AFKs? I'm feeling really old that I have to ask, but its driving me crazy.

No worries! That's my geek tendencies shining through. "AIM" is AOL Instant Messenger and "AFK" is Away From Keyboard. :surfweb:

Alright I am back and am here to fulfill all my promises to you patient people. I finally got the pictures from the trip uploaded (hubby is no longer allowed to take pictures on the safari or of fireworks - there was 869 pictures on this card alone and my guess would be that 600 off them were either of fireworks or animals:lmao:)

Anyways here is a picture you have seen before...

Me in April 2010
IMG_3838.jpg

And Now...

Me in Jan 2011
holiday2011127.jpg

Not as much of a difference as I had hoped but I haven't worked it the greatest the last 4 months or so. Mind you that is almost 3 sizes down.

Here is one of the 3 of us...
holiday2011408.jpg

My fav of just hubby and me (yes for the first time since our wedding 13 years ago I finally like a picture of myself)
holiday2011130.jpg

And since hubby is holding a very unflatering picture of me as ransom, here is one of him that I am putting out there for you all to see...
holiday2011373.jpg

Lastly until I can find the memory card that has the rest of the cruise pictures on it (I know there is one from formal night I wanted to show you all) here is one to wet your whistle as they say
holiday2011797.jpg

Heather - what exactly is the program that you will be doing for 90 days? I haven't heard of that one before.

It's called P90X and it is by Tony Horton. Have you heard of insanity? It is similar but not as intense. It is designed around muscle confusion. There are 12 DVD's that range from shoulders and back to legs to arms to pylometrics (high impact aerobics) to keno (like kickboxing) to yoga to abs. There is a certain order in which you do each DVD and exercises are done 6 of 7 days for 90 days. The purpose of muscle confusion is that since you are doing a different DVD everyday that although you may work some of the same muscles a couple times during the week they will not get used to the workout as it is different exercises and therefore be more effective. Each DVD is about an hour long and they are hard. I did okay on the first shoulders and back one (mostly different types of pushup and pullups for an hour) but the plyometrics one yesterday killed us both. I got just under halfway through and had missed a few exercises when I just had to stop, hubby got just over halfway when he had to stop. Tony's moto is "Do your best and forget the rest" so it helps you not to feel discouraged when you can't keep up with them yet. There is also a diet that goes along with the program. You don't have to follow the diet but you will get the best results if you do.

There are 3 stages to the diet. The first 30days is the fat shredder stage (Protien 50%, Carbs 30% and fat 20%), the next 30 days is the energy booster (P 40%, C 40%, F 20%) and the last 30 is the endurance stage (P 20%, C 60%, F 20%). The % of foods change as the routine gets harder. We are eating about 1600-1800 cals a day and there is so much food. Yesterday for example we had the following...

Breakfast
Egg white omlet with mushroom, tomatoes and lf cheese, 1 cup strawberries and 1 cup of cottage cheese (which we didn't have because we don't like it)

Snack
100 cal pack of granola crunchers

Lunch
a HUGE and I mean HUGE chef salad with lettuce, tomatoes, avacado, ff ham, ff turkey with lf ranch dressing

Snack
1 c of sherbet

Dinner
1 cup of homemade red pepper soup
salmon with lemon dill sauce
wild rice
corn

There is a lot of prep work with the menu but it is pretty easy cooking as long as you plan ahead. I cooked for 4 hours yesterday and most of my meals for the next week and beyond and prepped.

Well that was the long winded answer to your question. If you google P90X you can find out more.:surfweb:

Oooooh, am I the first to post my stats this week? That never happens.

Okay then...I had a great week last week...tracked everything and exercised properly (even went out for dinner on Saturday night) and I was able to enjoy the fruits of my labours this morning with a loss of:

:cool1::banana:
2.3 pounds!!
:yay::woohoo:

So yeah, to say I was thrilled would be an understatement.

Only 18 more pounds to Onederland!!! :cheer2:

Today I was finally able to jog for 30 mins again. All my workouts last week were only 20 mins but today I did 30 easily...prolly could even have gone on longer.

Heather: Those pics are awesome! You look great!! You can really tell you've gone down three pounds.

ETA: OOPS!! I MEANT SIZES. Sorry Heather!! :blush:

Great going girl! :thumbsup2 I can't wait to see the cruise pics.

Heather: Those pics are awesome! You look great!! You can really tell you've gone down three pounds. Great going girl! I can't wait to see the cruise pics.

Hey now, I've lost more than 3 pounds!!!:lovestruc I think you meant sizes:goodvibes

I am the same this week which I am okay with since I just started the new exercise routine and diet. I do have to say though I am drinking the same amount of water as I was before as I never had an issue getting my water in but the last 3 days OMG I am doing nothing but running to the bathroom. I went right before bed and had to get up twice throughout the night and was still desperate when I got up this morning! Yeah and guess where I am about to go when I post this!?! I know TMI!!:rolleyes1

Good afternoon everyone!

Well, I weighed in this morning and am down -1.5 from last week's weigh in!!

Part of the reason I'm so excited about it is that DH and I went on a short trip to Vegas last week and I didn't do very good on swimming toward Skinny Island! We usually ate 2 meals a day and I really splurged on them, but I guess my saving grace was all the walking we did. I wish I would have had a pedometer on because I'd love to know how far we actually walked.

Speaking of, I've heard that there are some apps for the smart phones that will track you walking - has anyone tried any of those and had good results? I have an andriod and DH has an iphone, so anything that works with either of those would be great.

Hey now, I've lost more than 3 pounds!!!:lovestruc I think you meant sizes:goodvibes

I am the same this week which I am okay with since I just started the new exercise routine and diet. I do have to say though I am drinking the same amount of water as I was before as I never had an issue getting my water in but the last 3 days OMG I am doing nothing but running to the bathroom. I went right before bed and had to get up twice throughout the night and was still desperate when I got up this morning! Yeah and guess where I am about to go when I post this!?! I know TMI!!:rolleyes1

DOH!!

Sorry Heather...I'll fix my post!

Whenever I have major potty trips like you seem to be having I always see a HUGE loss on my next weigh in day. Maybe your body is burning stored fat as energy and that's where all the extra...um...liquid is coming from. :confused3

Good luck with the routine this week. You're a brave, brave woman.

Good luck with the routine this week. You're a brave, brave woman.

Right now I am more thinking along the lines of stupid and a glutton for punishment but thanks for the brave comment. Arms and shoulder went pretty good. There was one (chair lifts) that I couldn't do but other than that it was pretty good. Now the abs workout - yeah right :eek: There was no way those 346 moves in 16 minutes were going to happen. Even hubby had a really hard time but it will come.

Hope your right about the burning fat comment as it would be nice to see a big drop for the first time in a long time.

Well, I weighed in this morning and am down -1.5 from last week's weigh in!!

:banana::woohoo::yay:Awesome job especially with a trip to Vegas in there!

Hey everyone!

Just checking in.

I'm 25 wks along, only 14 more to go until my repeat c-section, assuming I don't go into labor on my own sooner or have any medical issues arise.

I weighed in yesterday at my 24 ish week appointment and I had lost 2 lbs since my last appointment, so that puts me up +3 for the entire pregnancy. You can't tell it by looking at me. I'm huge! I swear my belly didn't stick out this much until the month before I had both boys and I've got 3 months to go!

Hoping that the small weight gain means I've actually lost some weight with this pregnancy. Not that I'm trying to. Just decreased appetite from hormones (wish I could keep those hormones all the time!), eating healthier, and watching the carb intake because of the gestational diabetes all add up to not a lot of gaining I guess. And then you take into consideration what the baby uses calorie wise and then weighs herself. I just lose weight when pregnant!

Can't wait to start WW or Livestrong again and take advantage of those calories I'm gonna burn when nursing!

My mom, dad, neice and nephew are gonna come to our house next week (their spring break is a week earlier than ours) and help paint the nursery, and put the crib together etc. I'll be sure to post pictures when it's all done! :goodvibes

Then we are driving to Florida the next week for our spring break. Sadly just to visit my MIL, not to go to WDW! :sad2: :lmao:

Proud of you guys!! Just keep swimming!!! :fish::fish:

Good morning everyone:hippie:

I know I am a little tardy but here is last weeks weight loss totals...

STITCHFAN +1.7
2_EAGLE_MOM -1
MNDISNEYGIRL -1.4
SKI_MOM 0
STACYBAEASM -2.9
DUTCHIE -1.8
HAUNTEDMANSIONMOMMA -2
MOM2FAITH -18
STAYHOMEMOM77 -8
MISSOUTANDABOUT -8

Total loss for 2011 is -41.4lbs and since I am the only one still in the + this P90X better start working. Actually this should be the last week that I am in the + and that would mean all of my vaccation weight will be gone.:yay:

Thanks for the update Heather! Glad I'm to see I'm back to zero :rotfl:! Hopefully now that the holidays are over and we're back from Vegas we should be in our pretty normal routine and I can get in a weight loss groove :banana::banana:

Our summer vacation looks like it will probably be the last week in July, so I'd love to be able to lose 40 pounds by then. When I write that it seems like a lot, but I have a lot to lose and it's 4 1/2 month away, so that should be doable, but I don't want to get down on myself and give up because I'm falling behind before I even begin. OK, I just went and looked at the calendar and it is 20 weeks, so that's exactly 2 pounds a week. Even thought I know it's doable, I doubt I'll make it, so I need to re-evaluate that goal so I can stick with it!

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good week. We subdivided our basement so the girls wouldn't have to share a room anymore and our house is still in total disarray. I'm hoping to get some of that cleared up and put back away this weekend. That should keep me busy and maybe even build up some activity points for all the bending and carrying I'm going to be doing :rotfl:!

Happy Friday, ladies! Hope everyone has something nice planned for the weekend?

Those totals are amazing... and inspiring. :goodvibes

Can't wait for spring to, well, SPRING so we can get out of this house and start taking advantage of walking. I've also requested that my husband help me drag out my old rowing machine in the basement -- out from where the scary creepy crawlies live. I don't do creepy crawlies. :eek:

OMG I suck lately. Have been doing soooo bad! I don't know what I'm stressed about. Maybe 'cause I have this lingering cough? Not feeling well makes me not do well? Need to get back on track. I might just have one more bingey night before I recommit if I can get my hands on some chocolate...

ACK:scared1:

So good to hear from Gelly:hug: Can't believe you're already 25 weeks along! Time flies when it's someone else's pregnancy I guess:rotfl:

Hey it's morning and I skipped having "one last" binge on snacks last night. Thank goodness.

Need to hear from the losers how you stay on track for multiple days, weeks, months at a time. Seems like i can only be "good" for so long before I fall off the wagon.

Hey it's morning and I skipped having "one last" binge on snacks last night. Thank goodness.

Need to hear from the losers how you stay on track for multiple days, weeks, months at a time. Seems like i can only be "good" for so long before I fall off the wagon.

It's just being human! Good for you for not giving in.

I *almost* popped open a bottle of red last night after the horrendous day hubby and I had (alcohol's prohibited during the part of the diet we're in now). After he poo-poo'ed that idea, I tried my full-court-press to convince him we could go for a little vodka/gin in some LaCroix (fruit flavored, calorie free carbonated water) and he stuck to his guns... which made me finally agree not to. :laughing: I was lacking severely in willpower last night.

Another stupid thing I did this week: I bought a new fangled digital scale ... which is, of course, not calibrated the same as my old hunka-junk scale. The old hunka-junk was showing me 3 pounds lighter than this new one. I should just send the new one back. :laughing: PM'ing you a new starting weight, Heather. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter