When did sports team uniforms become so convoluted?

Colorblindness was an issue for awhile in 2015 when Nike introduced the Color Rush uniform line (the ones that have matched-color shirts & pants)..

Nike fixed it the following season by adding an all-white option for any team that used red or green.

LSU football has had a white-at-home tradition since 1958, when football coach Paul Dietzel decreed it. When they won the NCAA chamipinonship that year, the color stuck. When the NCAA made the color rule in the early 80's, LSU refused to go quietly, and kept petitioning until the NCAA caved in 1995 and let them return to the white at home (with certain specified exceptions.) LSU uses 3 options: white with purple and gold trim, purple with gold & white trim, and the much-disliked gold with purple trim that is very rarely worn. (The basketball team, OTOH, wears gold jerseys often, they like them.)

The rules have changed a lot over the years. Here's the current rule. The default is still that the visiting team should wear white, but it allows for swapping that or all sorts of different colors (including two primary colors) if both teams agree to it. The first time I remember that happening was when UCLA (in blue) played USC (in red).

b. Color.

1. Players of opposing teams shall wear jerseys of contrasting colors. Players on the same team shall wear jerseys of the same color and design.

2. The visiting team shall wear white jerseys; however, the home team may wear white jerseys if the teams have agreed in writing before the season.

3. If the home team wears colored jerseys, the visiting team may also wear colored jerseys, if and only if the following conditions have been satisfied
a. The home team has agreed in writing prior to the game; and
b. The conference of the home team certifies that the jersey of the visiting team is of a contrasting color.​

The rules have changed a lot over the years. Here's the current rule. The default is still that the visiting team should wear white, but it allows for swapping that or all sorts of different colors (including two primary colors) if both teams agree to it. The first time I remember that happening was when UCLA (in blue) played USC (in red).

b. Color.

1. Players of opposing teams shall wear jerseys of contrasting colors. Players on the same team shall wear jerseys of the same color and design.

2. The visiting team shall wear white jerseys; however, the home team may wear white jerseys if the teams have agreed in writing before the season.

3. If the home team wears colored jerseys, the visiting team may also wear colored jerseys, if and only if the following conditions have been satisfied
a. The home team has agreed in writing prior to the game; and
b. The conference of the home team certifies that the jersey of the visiting team is of a contrasting color.​

Didn't Steve Spurrier, when he was at Florida, refuse to let LSU wear white at home? I seem to remember something like that happening, but could certainly be mistaken.

Didn't Steve Spurrier, when he was at Florida, refuse to let LSU wear white at home? I seem to remember something like that happening, but could certainly be mistaken.

The default has always been that the home team wears a primary color while the visiting team wears white. If the home team doesn't want to wear white, I don't think there can be any way for anyone to force it. However, I think the home team can basically enforce the default if it doesn't agree to a change.

I've seen Cal wear gold uniforms on the road. The home team had to agree to it, and the conference had to agree that it contrasted with the home team's colors. I mean - it could get confusing if both teams wore gold.

The default has always been that the home team wears a primary color while the visiting team wears white. If the home team doesn't want to wear white, I don't think there can be any way for anyone to force it. However, I think the home team can basically enforce the default if it doesn't agree to a change.

I've seen Cal wear gold uniforms on the road. The home team had to agree to it, and the conference had to agree that it contrasted with the home team's colors. I mean - it could get confusing if both teams wore gold.

Right, LSU typically wears white at home, but I believe Florida (the visiting team) refused to let them wear white, forcing them to wear their purple. Again, I am not sure if this ever really happened.

In terms of youth sports, I always like how my son's lacrosse teams (both rec and travel) have reversible pinnies so they can be either the light or dark team without having to worry about multiple jerseys. This really helps at tournaments.

In terms of youth sports, I always like how my son's lacrosse teams (both rec and travel) have reversible pinnies so they can be either the light or dark team without having to worry about multiple jerseys. This really helps at tournaments.
That's how my son's MS basketball uniforms worked.

Right, LSU typically wears white at home, but I believe Florida (the visiting team) refused to let them wear white, forcing them to wear their purple. Again, I am not sure if this ever really happened.

Sorry - read that wrong. And yes, unless both teams agree to it, the requirement is that home wears a primary color and the road team white.

That's two layers though. Volleyball can be funky sometimes. I've seen both teams wearing white before. However, that's not really a big deal because they're required to stay on their own side.

That's two layers though. Volleyball can be funky sometimes. I've seen both teams wearing white before. However, that's not really a big deal because they're required to stay on their own side.

The two layers don't really seem to make much of a difference in terms of keeping in heat. They are made of lightweight material (sometimes mesh-like) and are typically just a covering and very open (like most pinnies). In lacrosse the kids are typically wearing a shooting shirt and shoulder pads. The pinnies just slip over the shoulder pads (not tight, like modern football jerseys).

It's all about money. For professional soccer the largest spot is reserved for the kit sponsor but I'd rather have that and non-stop action with no commercials than TV timeouts (hello 2-minute warning) and commercials between innings. You know what kit your club wears so it doesn't really matter. If you can't tell which team is Manchester United and which is Arsenal you aren't much of a fan anyway.

But if there are no commercial breaks, when do you get snacks and go pee? Also, the no team name on shirt trend makes it hard for the casual fan to become a more willing to buy a shirt fan, right? How does it affect newbies to the sport?

But if there are no commercial breaks, when do you get snacks and go pee? Also, the no team name on shirt trend makes it hard for the casual fan to become a more willing to buy a shirt fan, right? How does it affect newbies to the sport?
Look at any televised soccer match and when they take a shot of the crowd, tell me if you think they're suffering from shirt sales because there's not a large team name. :rotfl2:

As far as snacks & bathroom, each half will take less than 50 minutes. Compare that to a football game (whether professional or college) and that's how long it takes to play each QUARTER.

Shirt sales are not a problem for top level soccer clubs. Go to just about any country that isn't in North America and go into a public park. You will see Real Madrid, Manchester United, Barcelona, Juventus, etc shirts everywhere. Third world countries will have videos of kids in parks without shoes wearing kit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter