When dreams come true - A Springtime Surprise 2023 race weekend report

flav

Loving My Ears
Part 1 : Background and preparation

In 2017, when I announced to my kids that I was going to run the Wine and Dine Two Course Challenge, the youngest DD looked at me and said in disbelief “you are going to Disney without me?” That might have been the moment when she decided, never again, I am going to run too!

DD, DH and I at her first race in 2018:
4D89A08F-B1FE-43C1-86DB-5D0C621F1B09.jpeg
Since then we ran together and we both grew as runners. When races resumed in 2021, DD accelerated to the point where she now competes by herself.

I offered her to join me for the runDisney Springtime Surprise Challenge and, after careful analysis of how much school she would miss (seriously, she is an superachiever 9th grade student), she told me yes but on the condition that I would let her truly race one of the distances. We adjusted her training plan in consequence. There were ups, downs, setbacks and learnings but such determination is rarely seen.

We had over six months to make six costumes. I already described my battle with a serger (I won) and how we used the vinyl cutter and press at the library to make them. Here is the backside of our Car’s 5k, since it doesn’t show on our race pictures:
6915DA76-0C22-42D0-BC5D-59856B286535.jpeg

The week before our trip, we suffered through a three days power and cellular services outage. Even when the power came back, many neighbors still didn’t have theirs and were coming to eat/cook/shower/warmup at our place. I had to catchup on work on Wednesday morning but, after lunch, we were ready to go to the airport.
263625DA-3C83-471A-B5FC-481C319937F4.jpeg

Part 2: Arrival, Magic Kingdom and the runDisney Expo

We arrived at our resort, the All Star Movies, well past 9PM. We picked up our deliveries, installed ourselves and even decorated our window before settling down.

April 13th, 2023
Sleep prior: 7h
Energy at beginning: 3%
Energy at the end: 60%
Distance walk/stand/run: 18km
Special tasty snacks: 6
Rides and shows: 13

I started exhausted, both from the weird week prior and from the « do we buy ILL$ and Genie+ to save our legs a bit?» Just before leaving our room, we failed at securing a Tron boarding group so, we splurged.

We rope dropped MK and within a few hours, we had done more than we could have expected, including eating a waffle at Sleepy Hollow and drinking a Tropical Serenade in the Tiki Room. This was going to be an epic trip snack wise, one of our main objectives, and a necessary one considering the amount of burnt calories.
378CB537-9AC0-40B9-A1F7-02CFAD7AD795.jpeg
After riding Tron, we took the monorail to the Poly and the bus to the Expo. We were alone in the bus for the entire time and arrived at ESPN at 5:45PM.
AC072EA8-8EDA-4071-98AF-5A86F7AFCCA5.jpeg

We picked up our bibs and were deeply touched when we saw that DD was classified as Elite. It is something to know it, it is something else to see it printed. The weekend was already a success at this point.

We celebrated with beignets, pool time… and homework catch-up.

Last edited:
Part 3: Car’s 5k

To make a podium, one has to start close to the front. runDisney had confirmed that there were no special start for the Elite. So, I asked the one person on the DISboards who consistently described his pre-race routine: Thank you @DopeyBadger for your detailed instructions. We used the Springtime Surprise Car’s 5k as a rehearsal.

April 14th, 2023
Sleep prior: 4h
Energy at beginning: 45%
Energy at the end: 5%
Distance walk/stand/run: 23km
Special tasty snacks: 7
Rides and shows: 5

Our three race mornings therefore followed this schedule, everything went smoothly, thanks to staff and volunteers:
1:30AM wake-up, wash-up, make coffee, eat breakfast, get dressed and grab our bag
2:30AM leave room and lineup to catch the first bus
3:??AM pass security, check bag, pit stop
3:30AM go lineup at the gate to the corrals, text my mom who answered every single time 😍
3:45AM corrals open, warmup by jogging to A
4:00AM take position at the front barrier, warmup in place
4:30AM grab the tape, when the barrier is removed move a few meters from the first wave holding to the start area
4:58AM cheer for rollDisney
5:00AM start our runDisney race

Even though this was a shakedown run, we made sure to start fast for a few hundred meters not to block anyone behind us. We then went through enjoying Epcot and smiling for the photographers.
51D83DB6-5343-46BF-9D37-3D245CF4DE19.jpeg
After the race, we posed with Tow Mater and then waited for the rain to stop and for Wall-E to come. We were excited to see him for real!
0286B108-C084-47E9-9D39-61764775B227.jpeg
We took the bus for the Boardwalk resorts and disembarked at the first stop, the YC. We cleaned up and started walking to HS for rope drop. At 7AM, we booked RoTR and decided to not take Genie+ because it would potentially take us too late in the day. HS was a mess that morning. SDD, ToT and RoTR all had problems and did not open for a long time. We left the SDD line accepting that we would not do it at all on this trip, and went for the Millennium. It was great to enjoy Star Wars almost empty. TSMM and Woody’s lunchbox were our next stops. We rode MMRR and saw Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy, both enjoyable and new to us since we were last at WDW in January 2020. We got a lot of questions on where we had taken DD’s top and our Minnie ears… and reactions when answering we had made them.

We then truly savoured Star Wars by riding RoTR, drinking at Oga’s Cantina and eating at Cargo Docking Bay 7.
20328A60-5833-45E9-BAEE-A6AD3F7CAD5E.jpeg
It was very hot and we overdid it going to AoA for pictures before heading to our reservation at Beaches and Cream. We literally felt asleep in the chairs waiting to be called. We wisely decided to stop our touring after that and went to float and rest at our resort. I was just hoping that we had not completely burnt DD for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Part 4: Monster Inc 10k

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…GO!

We start fast, this way, I can see the speedy bunch. Part of raising a child is letting them go to their own adventures in life. A few minutes in, it’s me, running my race.

My A goal was to beat my unofficial PR, so under 50 minutes. After a kilometre, I knew that with the heat and tiredness, I was more into my B goal zone of sub 55 minutes or under my official PR. At the second kilometre, I saw Mickey and decided to stop and go to the enjoy the runDisney moments.
CD60E94D-C84F-472A-A984-14E6985A8967.jpeg
Epcot and the boardwalk are so pretty. We passed under the Ratatouille canopy. I was sometimes telling myself that I had successfully brought DD to the starting line, sometimes kicking myself for the lack of moderation the day before and sometimes accepting that at that point it was not in my control.

We crossed runners on the course and I thought they were the first. I felt sad for DD whom I did not see, I yelled encouragements to the void.

I took pictures with Minnie and Goofy but I tried to keep my pace so that DD would not have to wait for me more than 20 minutes.
CEC28242-DD58-49E9-B1DF-C279F462C597.jpeg
I passed the finish line and hear from the spectators’ area: « Bravo mom, well done! ». DD talks to me over the fence and asks how my race went.
I answered:« Fine, too tired for a PR. How did your race go? »
« I finished first, mom. »
« You did? You are sure? With the banner and all? »

Yes, Sarah, my beautiful, bright and so sweet fifteen years old daughter had realized her dream of winning a runDisney race in the most magical place on earth.

The chute is long before I can hold her in my arms again.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…GO!

Sarah starts at the front and is leading the women. There is one other lady close to her. After the second kilometre, Sarah gets passed but she hangs close.

New experiences today include taking the right turns wide when there is a wheelchair athlete, as is the case most of this race. Also, the leading female runner is accompanied by a bike who communicates with the finish to let them know at what mile they are. Good thing because Sarah doesn’t see the mile markers for what they are. Plus, her new watch arrived the day before our departure and she doesn’t know if it is well calibrated or how good the GPS signals are. The cheering is amazing everywhere.

At the sixth kilometre (Mile 4), Sarah is confident that she can accelerate and sustain a faster pace. She takes the lead and will end up with enough of a buffer to give a hug to her fellow Canadian at the pavilion and later to ask: « Could you please take a picture of me with Goofy ? » We raised her well, this is a runDisney event, might as well enjoy!
BC0FF2B1-43DC-4084-AA97-567A56940A45.jpeg
From her perspective, she passes the finish line, breaking the white tape ahead. Only when we look at the pictures later that day does she see the confetti and Donald.
264BCF29-E252-4628-9DAD-B48688B4FAFC.jpeg
BBF5CA48-5341-45AF-B999-FA98CEA9D092.jpeg
She wished upon them and the stars have aligned for her to succeed. Her time is far from her PR but it was sufficient that day for her to win. We are so thankful for everyone who have contributed to this exceptional moment.

April 15th, 2023
Sleep prior: 4h
Energy at beginning: 45%
Energy at the end: 80%
Distance walk/stand/run: 34km
Special tasty snacks: 10
Rides and shows: 7

Sarah’s chose to make a Buzz Lightyear costume because he runs fast and flies, to infinity and beyond. Many of the weekend’s top performers had the same inspiration, but how many have cool matching socks?

We took pictures with the Monsters and then hopped on the bus to BC where a waffle breakfast was calling our names. Sarah was telling everyone asking about her race that she had finished first place female🥇. She even had a request for pictures from a nice family. I asked for a « I am celebrating » button and added « 1st place 10k ». People congratulated warmly through the day, she was in heaven. Especially since we were rope dropping Epcot!

We walked through the IG at 8AM and rode Ratatouille. We loved it and decided to redo it right away.

We took our time admiring the flowers and topiary and walked alone in the Butterfly Landing. Epcot this quiet was magical, peaceful and invigorating, all at once.
9B7F6202-7688-4440-918D-D2EFA3152AFB.jpeg
By 11:30AM we had done Soarin’ and Test Track and were at the Mexico pavilion for lunch. Time for a pool and nap break.

We had BG 100 for GoTG so we started our snacking around the world with three drinks from the Flower and Garden booths. GoTG is our new favourite ride. We followed up with a more substantial snack at the Space 220 lounge.

It was raining when we came out. Lightning eventually gave up a show as well. We resumed our tour, eating School bread, Pretzel cookie, Edamame and Crêpe. We were finishing our last snack when we heard a parting message: It was 9PM and the park was closing. What a day!

Last edited:

Part 5: Toy Story 10 Miler
We woke up tired 🥱 but truly happy. Time to seize the day, no matter how short the night!

We were able to meet the DISers @superchime @Naomeri and @amazingact21 . It was nice to see friendly faces that morning and chat about the event and each others 🤩

We approached the 10 miler as a fun run and took in all it had to offer. Running in HS and Epcot, posing for pictures, admiring other costumes, waving at volunteers, clapping at the choirs, jumping and smiling. I found the highway part brutal but that was me having overdone it the days prior. We did talk with a nice lady also dressed as Jessie who presented herself after the finish line as Barbara Galloway.
AD1BCF24-74AB-4C7D-9393-C2C2D35FA47F.jpeg
1393020D-F682-4A43-B8A2-85465FAB0C78.jpeg
E7C65826-F2D7-4D50-9883-B06036F74323.jpeg
Sarah had sang the song « Almost there » when we were in the airport a few days ago and it was cool to hear it as a conclusion to this running event!

5ABA29D7-B6B8-4BCB-9DD7-86FA43B79222.jpeg

The themes, the music, the Spring temperature and flowers, the shirts and the interactive medals make us say that this was the best runDisney weekend ever!

April 16th, 2023
Sleep prior: 3.5h
Energy at beginning: 15%
Energy at the end: 5%
Distance walk/stand/run: 31km
Special tasty snacks: 6
Rides and shows: 6

We went to our resort to eat a big breakfast and attempt to rest. Nap? What’s that?

As we entered MK at 12:15PM, the parade was coming down Main Street and there was a nice spot opened to sit on the curb, like they had been expecting us! Beautiful.
41D433C3-A30F-4E27-A380-046AF16A6808.jpeg
We took medals pictures, scored a VQ for Tron, rode a few rides that we had not done Thursday, hugged Pooh and Tigger and snacked along the way. We had a dinner reservation at Skipper Canteen, the only disappointment of the weekend. By then we were decomposing on our feet and had to make the sensible decision to skip the HEA fireworks and go back to rest.

Last edited:
Part 6: Already! The conclusion

What a luxury to sleep until 5AM!

April 17th, 2023
Sleep prior: 7.5h
Energy at beginning: 80%
Energy at the end: 25%
Distance walk/stand/run: 15km
Special tasty snacks: 7
Rides and shows: 10

We finished the luggages and left them with bell services on our way to rope dropping AK. It was a rainy Monday and the crowd was light. We were riding FoP at 7:33AM and Navi river before 8AM. Walking through Pandora in the mist felt so adequate. We really took in the atmosphere.
25FF0D73-7538-42E6-AFC7-05A4D323E227.jpeg
With our ponchos already on we tackled Kali river and then decided to try the safari. AK is surprisingly enjoyable in that weather.

We liked watching the birds shows, walking the trails, looking at the animals and admiring the flowers.

It was the perfect conclusion to our otherwise crazy and fun weekend.

We have compiled our favourites, taking into account theme and taste/enjoyment.

Best drink: Tropical Serenade at Aloha Isle in MK and Honey Peach Cobbler Freeze at Honey Bee-stro in Epcot

Best sweet treat: Cheshire Cat Tail in MK

Best salty dish: Beef with sweet potatoes and pepper mash with creamy herb dressing bowl at Satu’li Canteen in AK

Best new ride: Guardian of the Galaxy in Epcot

Best race: The 5k 🙃 it was so relaxed and easy! Joking aside, all three of them were amazing for different reasons. This Challenge is well balanced in terms of distances.

Best race weekend: Springtime Surprise 2023!
D5561382-7BA0-4755-8BE1-0FA4C478CFC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Thank you, it was all really exciting.
I wish you all a lot of future fun with your kids and grandkids. Just make sure not to burn them out, DD and I are terrible at this 😳 Took me the week to recover 😜

Loving your report. I’m very new to running but I hope my 3yo son at least takes an interest in doing the runDisney 5ks with me. 😊 He’s got so much energy though that he might end up an ultramarathoner. 🤣

I love this! My daughter and I did our first wine and dine last year and we are signed up again this year! Also staying at Movies!!! We only got in for the 5K but that’s ok we are still excited! Can’t wait to read the rest of your report!

Loving your report. I’m very new to running but I hope my 3yo son at least takes an interest in doing the runDisney 5ks with me. 😊 He’s got so much energy though that he might end up an ultramarathoner. 🤣
Running is a great was to channel energy!

Wow congrats to your daughter!!! It is quite impressive at such a young age!
You must be so proud!!

Congratulations! It was so nice meeting you both before the 10 miler. And I am just amazed by all the park time you're getting after the races. I needed a nap! 🤣

You guys are both amazing! I can't believe how much park time you put in! All of that would be exhausting without the running. Congrats to Sarah. Such an amazing accomplishment at 15 years old! I'm in awe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter