When dreams come true - A Springtime Surprise 2023 race weekend report

Wow congrats to your daughter!!! It is quite impressive at such a young age!
You must be so proud!!
Thank you 😊
Impressed we are and would be by anyone giving the best they can, at any age.
I am glad that I was able to give her the opportunity to run and that she brought me so much learning moments.
What an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations to you and Sarah!
Thank you 😊 and keep running for pizza! We definitely enjoyed the snacks!
This is just incredible. I'm so happy for you both.
Thank you 😊 it does feel like a dream sometimes. And in keeping with the Pixar theme, you brought the Incredible… We are a mix of Flash and Jack Jack:
8D32863B-FCA9-4F6A-A0F8-0752F464D5CF.jpeg
Congratulations! It was so nice meeting you both before the 10 miler. And I am just amazed by all the park time you're getting after the races. I needed a nap! 🤣
Thank you 😊
We needed naps too, we just ignored that need… As a wise Scandinavian told me: « We will sleep in Winter »
You guys are both amazing! I can't believe how much park time you put in! All of that would be exhausting without the running. Congrats to Sarah. Such an amazing accomplishment at 15 years old! I'm in awe.
Thank you 😊
Writing this report made me realize how much we did! We are pretty much back to normal now, but with so many great memories.
You guys got some major air in that jump shot!
That’s amazing!
Thank you 😊
We took that jump in Toy Story land, it seemed fitting.
We counted together to be synchronized and the photographer yelled « Got it ». From the tone of his voice, he was very excited by his action shot.

Your trip report is the best!
I love that you were able to have this mother-daughter time, and on top of it, to share one of your passions with your daughter!
I am truly amazed by your weekend and how much you guys accomplished in such a short period of time!
I was also there last weekend but only did the 10miler. It was such a fun race - the distance is so fun )m(more than an 10k but not ans challenging ans an half or a full Marathon) and I too loved the atmosphere and all the energy that comes with the Rundisney crowd!! DH will gladly join me at the Disney races but says he doesn’t want to do any more races… he is spoiled! 😂
I am really hoping to do one with my kids in a few years!!!
Thanks for the report and the inspiration 🥰

I like your jumping race photo better than any of my wedding photos!
The runDisney photographs are the best I have seen. They successfully take photos of people going full speed in the dark. I also like that we get the full resolution. I have purchased ($) race pictures from other races and I am usually disappointed. In my area, some smaller races have the pictures included with the registration and these are good too.

Did you make your Woody and Jesse shirts also?
Yes 🙌🏻
Sowing wise, we did the McQueen’s ears, MU dress, Buzz’s shirt, Woody’s shirt and Jessie’s shirt and shorts. We decorated the ears with sparkling foam and all six tops using the professional grade cutter and press at the library.

We wanted comfortable running gears so I bought a 4way stretch fabric. I tested it with the vinyl and the heat before sowing. I had to learn how to use a serger and to sow with double needles in order to use the stretch fabric. The toughest parts with the serger were all the pointy portions. Here is an interim picture I took:
ADA22CF3-039D-4FB8-8DA2-66E83DBD7FED.jpeg
ETA: Woody’s red lines took forever and pulled the fabric, making the shirt slightly tighter than before.

Last edited:
Such a great result for both of you! Kudos to your daughter for great results, and kudos to you for introducing her to running in a way that's brought her joy as well as success. Can't wait to see what she does in the future!

I passed the finish line and hear from the spectators’ area: « Bravo mom, well done! ». DD talks to me over the fence and asks how my race went.
I answered:« Fine, too tired for a PR. How did your race go? »
« I finished first, mom. »
« You did? You are sure? With the banner and all? »

Yes, Sarah, my beautiful, bright and so sweet fifteen years old daughter had realized her dream of winning a runDisney race in the most magical place on heart.

The chute is long before I can hold her in my arms again.
OMG, reading this literally made my eyes tear up. What a beautiful story to read and you are both so very lucky to have each other and to have running together. What a joy!!! I loved reading your story and I look forward to many many more. Cheers to you and your lovely Sarah. CONGRATS!!!!!

OMG, reading this literally made my eyes tear up. What a beautiful story to read and you are both so very lucky to have each other and to have running together. What a joy!!! I loved reading your story and I look forward to many many more. Cheers to you and your lovely Sarah. CONGRATS!!!!!
I love writing our story and it came from my heart. I am happy it resonates with you. Thank you 😊

Part 4: Monster Inc 10k

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…GO!

We start fast, this way, I can see the speedy bunch. Part of raising a child is letting them go to their own adventures in life. A few minutes in, it’s me, running my race.

My A goal was to beat my unofficial PR, so under 50 minutes. After a kilometre, I knew that with the heat and tiredness, I was more into my B goal zone of sub 55 minutes or under my official PR. At the second kilometre, I saw Mickey and decided to stop and go to the enjoy the runDisney moments.
View attachment 755391
Epcot and the boardwalk are so pretty. We passed under the Ratatouille canopy. I was sometimes telling myself that I had successfully brought DD to the starting line, sometimes kicking myself for the lack of moderation the day before and sometimes accepting that at that point it was not in my control.

We crossed runners on the course and I thought they were the first. I felt sad for DD whom I did not see, I yelled encouragements to the void.

I took pictures with Minnie and Goofy but I tried to keep my pace so that DD would not have to wait for me more than 20 minutes.
View attachment 755392
I passed the finish line and hear from the spectators’ area: « Bravo mom, well done! ». DD talks to me over the fence and asks how my race went.
I answered:« Fine, too tired for a PR. How did your race go? »
« I finished first, mom. »
« You did? You are sure? With the banner and all? »

Yes, Sarah, my beautiful, bright and so sweet fifteen years old daughter had realized her dream of winning a runDisney race in the most magical place on heart.

The chute is long before I can hold her in my arms again.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…GO!

Sarah starts at the front and is leading the women. There is one other lady close to her. After the second kilometre, Sarah gets passed but she hangs close.

New experiences today include taking the right turns wide when there is a wheelchair athlete, as is the case most of this race. Also, the leading female runner is accompanied by a bike who communicates with the finish to let them know at what mile they are. Good thing because Sarah doesn’t see the mile markers for what they are. Plus, her new watch arrived the day before our departure and she doesn’t know if it is well calibrated or how good the GPS signals are. The cheering is amazing everywhere.

At the sixth kilometre (Mile 4), Sarah is confident that she can accelerate and sustain a faster pace. She takes the lead and will end up with enough of a buffer to give a hug to her fellow Canadian at the pavilion and later to ask: « Could you please take a picture of me with Goofy ? » We raised her well, this is a runDisney event, might as well enjoy!
View attachment 755393
From her perspective, she passes the finish line, breaking the white tape ahead. Only when we look at the pictures later that day does she see the confetti and Donald.
View attachment 755394
View attachment 755395
She wished upon them and the stars have aligned for her to succeed. Her time is far from her PR but it was sufficient that day for her to win. We are so thankful for everyone who have contributed to this exceptional moment.

April 15th, 2023
Sleep prior: 4h
Energy at beginning: 45%
Energy at the end: 80%
Distance walk/stand/run: 34km
Special tasty snacks: 10
Rides and shows: 7

Sarah’s chose to make a Buzz Lightyear costume because he runs fast and flies, to infinity and beyond. Many of the weekend’s top performers had the same inspiration, but how many have cool matching socks?

We took pictures with the Monsters and then hopped on the bus to BC where a waffle breakfast was calling our names. Sarah was telling everyone asking about her race that she had finished first place female🥇. She even had a request for pictures from a nice family. I asked for a « I am celebrating » button and added « 1st place 10k ». People congratulated warmly through the day, she was in heaven. Especially since we were rope dropping Epcot!

We walked through the IG at 8AM and rode Ratatouille. We loved it and decided to redo it right away.

We took our time admiring the flowers and topiary and walked alone in the Butterfly Landing. Epcot this quiet was magical, peaceful and invigorating, all at once.
View attachment 755397
By 11:30AM we had done Soarin’ and Test Track and were at the Mexico pavilion for lunch. Time for a pool and nap break.

We had BG 100 for GoTG so we started our snacking around the world with three drinks from the Flower and Garden booths. GoTG is our new favourite ride. We followed up with a more substantial snack at the Space 220 lounge.

It was raining when we came out. Lightning eventually gave up a show as well. We resumed our tour, eating School bread, Pretzel cookie, Edamame and Crêpe. We were finishing our last snack when we heard a parting message: It was 9PM and the park was closing. What a day!
So cool! Congrats on the 1st place finish.

And beyond, Ottawa (Saturday)

So, it’s still Spring so I will make a surprise and put another race report here.

When I ran the Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend Voyageur Challenge (5k+10k+HM) in 2018, I decided that one day I would do the Lumberjack Challenge (2k+5k+10k+M). 2020 was supposed to be the year of the Challenges: Dopey, Lumberjack, Remix, New York. I completed Dopey before you know what happened. So 2023 is the year of the catch-up on postponed races and dreams. Ottawa changed the look and image for the Race Weekend so they renamed that challenge the 59.2k or LIX.II

Training went ok to well. The week leading to the weekend was very busy.

Finally, Saturday morning 7AM I was driving to Ottawa. There was no cloud in the sky the entire weekend. Gorgeous but hot weather.

One of the things that makes this challenge difficult is eating/drinking enough on Saturday to be ok for the Marathon on Sunday because, by the end of the first day, there is no more carb loading remaining. So I had snacks all day, trying to time them so they would not cut my appetite for meals.

9AM I parked at Ottawa City Hall (free) and joined the line waiting for the bus to the Expo. It was an opened top double decker and a very enjoyable ride to the Landsdowne pavilion. If you ever skated the Rideau canal, you know where it is.
1685413229342.jpeg

Bib pickup, shirts pickup (the challenge had one included and I had pre-purchased the 42.2k) and shopping went nicely. I filled up on KT tape, bought a pair shoes for DH and new sunglasses for me. I ended up wearing them all weekend and got so many compliments on them.

My hotel was 150m from City Hall so I checked in early, got my luggage from the car, put the food in the fridge and prepared my clothes for the first race.

I had a few hours to have lunch and wander in the Rideau Center shopping mall and the Byward Market. Ottawa was vibrant with sun, terraces and runners with their supporters.

3PM Ottawa 2k race
I chose to wear the 59.2k shirt because it is fun and the Splurge shirts are always comfortable. Throughout the weekend, my bib prompted conversations about the challenge. Another challenger (unsurprisingly there were many at my hotel) advised me to be closer to the front for that race because there are many small kids running it and they sometimes trip or turn around searching for their parents. My goal was simply to test my sunglasses and shirt model for tomorrow. The race started and almost right away my throat and mouth felt parched. I concluded that with the heat (28°C), I would not be able to PR on the 10k later and that, since the road was clear ahead, I might as well do a sub-10min 2k. I will forever be able to say that I once placed first in my age group in Ottawa 😂 00:09:31
1685413350923.jpeg

4PM Ottawa 5k
After collecting the 2k finisher medal and eating a banana, I went to chill in my room. As I was getting out for this next race, I got a text from cousins that I only see at races asking if I was in Ottawa. We meet before the start and decided to see each other at their 10k race. There were a lot of 5k runners. I merrily went with the flow. I was really happy that the various races passed by different landmarks. Here I am in front on the Canadian parliament. 00:29:13
1685413422913.jpeg

I now had about two hours before the next race. I ate another banana, some chips, some more snacks, some Maurten 320 plus I showered and tried to rest my feet. At 6PM I went down and did a warmup in the odd chances that I would feel like performing on the 10k.

6:30PM Ottawa 10k
Nope. Note to myself: Stop planning on racing a 10k for time between two races when it’s 28°C outside.
Beautiful pictures along the way. The light was golden. The lilac smelled wonderful. Ottawa was glorious and I enjoyed the run. 00:58:37
1685413532376.jpeg

I showered and walked to the Byward market where I gave a friend his bib for the next day and waited for my cousins to celebrate this first race day with a pizza! They said that I did not look like someone who ran 17k that day.
1685413570943.jpeg

Last edited:
And why not, Ottawa (Sunday)
The night was short and not so restful. At least, there was light out when I woke up at 4:45AM! I was calm and determined, still very happy of being there. Breakfast (not very hungry), shower, sunscreen, clothes then luggages in the car at 6:30. Back in the room for a last pit stop and checkout at 6:45AM. There was never a more relaxed pre-marathon morning.
1685495185512.jpeg
7AM Ottawa Marathon
The temperature was around 15°C and, without a time objective I was fine with it. All my Ottawa races have been in hot temperatures. After careful consideration, I decided to lineup at the complete back of the slightly faster corral than what I would normally have ran. Great choice, I was not blocking and was not blocked by people starting. The first few km were next to the Rideau Canal and the first of the next wave started passing me in the fourth km.
1685495247595.jpeg

After a bit of streets, we followed then crossed the Ottawa River. I was pretty steady on the first 15k. I stopped for taking pictures and walked the hydration/nutrition stops the entire race, as planned.
1685495299184.jpeg
As temperature raised and the tiredness from the day before claimed its place, I gradually faded and slowed down. Kudos to the organization for the three wet towels stations and for the 30+ misting stations. I passed the mid-point at 02:18:40 and the Run Ottawa App told me that my predicted time was just short of five hours. Ouch. There was no point in fighting what I had accepted when signing up for that challenge, I was trusting my training that I would eventually make it to the finish line.

There were 10km of the course in Gatineau.
1685495351169.jpeg
Then we crossed back again. It is on the bridge, at the 25km mark, that the first half-marathoners passed me (they had about 5km left).
1685495374860.jpeg
1685495426653.jpegI putt putt for most of the rest. Sussex drive was followed by woody sections and fields, part of Ottawa that I had never seen before, like being in the country. I have to mention that the entire course had volunteers along the way. The medical crew was very attentive and present. It was the most tended marathon I had ever seen.

After 35km, I also noticed an increase presence of the Xtra Mile Crew, a dedicated team of volunteers offering on-route encouragement to runners wanting some support to reach the finish line. I did not request a running partner but found it really cool and it might have helped me not wanting to walk after 40km.
1685495486362.jpeg
When reentering the downtown, the supporters, and there are tons of them in Ottawa, were cheering even louder. The faithful bunch who give MrFreeze was there 🥳

Watching the video of my arrival at the finish line 100% justifies why one should cheer way earlier in a race. Was the slow motion activated on the camera? Anyhow, a whooping 05:10:36 marathon for me! The medal though is one of the best I have. And the challenge medal goes well with it too.
1685495596933.jpeg
I chatted with many people after who were definitely admiring the bling and the accomplishment. I found it important to sincerely congratulate all of them no matter the distance and speed they accomplished because they all gave their best.

4:15PM I was back at home unpacking and baking for the office potluck the next day.

Post race analysis
I was in sunny Ottawa for less than 30 hours and officially completed the 59.2k Challenge in 6:47:58.

I considered that I managed hydration and nutrition properly. No swelling, no excessive pit stops. No unexplainable lack of energy. No belly ache.

I took a lot of selfies but tourism was my main objective. Just in case, I repeat, note to myself: Stop planning on racing a 10k for time between two other races.

I had a fantastic recovery. I walk and go down the stairs normally. I am lucky that way. Although I suspect that the energy my body did put in healing itself Sunday night meant that it did nothing for the brain: I forgot to put a cup under my coffee machine on Monday morning.

I don’t hurt at all but there is this toe that I damaged long ago who tells me that one day it might not want to be so accommodating, so I thank it for staying with me and I ice it. Add to the list of How do you know that you are a marathoner? You talk to your toes.

Ottawa Race Weekend had roughly 30k participants this year. Now that the official results are out, I see that there were only 64 finishers for the 59.2k Challenge out of which there are 15 women so I am one of the crazy few (by comparison 229 participants for the 36.1k and 205 participants for the 17k). I am in the middle of the pack and see that others who finished around the same time had similar strategies for the races.

@DopeyBadger wrote me many years ago that this challenge was probably harder than Dopey and I can now confirm that it is true. There is less than 12 hours between the end of the last Saturday race and the beginning of the marathon.

I totally recommend Ottawa Race Weekend. And the 59.2k Challenge too although, you have been warned!
1685495666742.jpeg

Attachments

• 1685495634892.jpeg
    1685495634892.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
And why not, Ottawa (Sunday)
The night was short and not so restful. At least, there was light out when I woke up at 4:45AM! I was calm and determined, still very happy of being there. Breakfast (not very hungry), shower, sunscreen, clothes then luggages in the car at 6:30. Back in the room for a last pit stop and checkout at 6:45AM. There was never a more relaxed pre-marathon morning.
View attachment 764162
7AM Ottawa Marathon
The temperature was around 15°C and, without a time objective I was fine with it. All my Ottawa races have been in hot temperatures. After careful consideration, I decided to lineup at the complete back of the slightly faster corral than what I would normally have ran. Great choice, I was not blocking and was not blocked by people starting. The first few km were next to the Rideau Canal and the first of the next wave started passing me in the fourth km.
View attachment 764163

After a bit of streets, we followed then crossed the Ottawa River. I was pretty steady on the first 15k. I stopped for taking pictures and walked the hydration/nutrition stops the entire race, as planned.
View attachment 764164
As temperature raised and the tiredness from the day before claimed its place, I gradually faded and slowed down. Kudos to the organization for the three wet towels stations and for the 30+ misting stations. I passed the mid-point at 02:18:40 and the Run Ottawa App told me that my predicted time was just short of five hours. Ouch. There was no point in fighting what I had accepted when signing up for that challenge, I was trusting my training that I would eventually make it to the finish line.

There were 10km of the course in Gatineau.
View attachment 764165
Then we crossed back again. It is on the bridge, at the 25km mark, that the first half-marathoners passed me (they had about 5km left).
View attachment 764166
View attachment 764167I putt putt for most of the rest. Sussex drive was followed by woody sections and fields, part of Ottawa that I had never seen before, like being in the country. I have to mention that the entire course had volunteers along the way. The medical crew was very attentive and present. It was the most tended marathon I had ever seen.

After 35km, I also noticed an increase presence of the Xtra Mile Crew, a dedicated team of volunteers offering on-route encouragement to runners wanting some support to reach the finish line. I did not request a running partner but found it really cool and it might have helped me not wanting to walk after 40km.
View attachment 764168
When reentering the downtown, the supporters, and there are tons of them in Ottawa, were cheering even louder. The faithful bunch who give MrFreeze was there 🥳

Watching the video of my arrival at the finish line 100% justifies why one should cheer way earlier in a race. Was the slow motion activated on the camera? Anyhow, a whooping 05:10:36 marathon for me! The medal though is one of the best I have. And the challenge medal goes well with it too.
View attachment 764170
I chatted with many people after who were definitely admiring the bling and the accomplishment. I found it important to sincerely congratulate all of them no matter the distance and speed they accomplished because they all gave their best.

4:15PM I was back at home unpacking and baking for the office potluck the next day.

Post race analysis
I was in sunny Ottawa for less than 30 hours and officially completed the 59.2k Challenge in 6:47:58.

I considered that I managed hydration and nutrition properly. No swelling, no excessive pit stops. No unexplainable lack of energy. No belly ache.

I took a lot of selfies but tourism was my main objective. Just in case, I repeat, note to myself: Stop planning on racing a 10k for time between two other races.

I had a fantastic recovery. I walk and go down the stairs normally. I am lucky that way. Although I suspect that the energy my body did put in healing itself Sunday night meant that it did nothing for the brain: I forgot to put a cup under my coffee machine on Monday morning.

I don’t hurt at all but there is this toe that I damaged long ago who tells me that one day it might not want to be so accommodating, so I thank it for staying with me and I ice it. Add to the list of How do you know that you are a marathoner? You talk to your toes.

Ottawa Race Weekend had roughly 30k participants this year. Now that the official results are out, I see that there were only 64 finishers for the 59.2k Challenge out of which there are 15 women so I am one of the crazy few (by comparison 229 participants for the 36.1k and 205 participants for the 17k). I am in the middle of the pack and see that others who finished around the same time had similar strategies for the races.

@DopeyBadger wrote me many years ago that this challenge was probably harder than Dopey and I can now confirm that it is true. There is less than 12 hours between the end of the last Saturday race and the beginning of the marathon.

I totally recommend Ottawa Race Weekend. And the 59.2k Challenge too although, you have been warned!
View attachment 764172
Good to hear that it went well.

Start early with the carb loading. I started 40 years ago…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter