When kids don't like the menu options?

Up until this trip we always picked places that had stuff all of us would like. This time we're doing San Angel Inn - the kids menu looks fine but the adult menu I'm not sure about. If the kids (12 and 14) can't order from the kids menu they can just order dessert instead, and they're fine with that. We snack enough during the day, it's not like anyone is going to starve ;)
At San Angel last Oct, they allowed DD10 to order cheese quesadillas from the kids' menu but required that she get an adult portion (something like $14). DH and DS13 shared an adult meal.

At San Angel last Oct, they allowed DD10 to order cheese quesadillas from the kids' menu but required that she get an adult portion (something like $14). DH and DS13 shared an adult meal.

That would be awesome - I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

I would just say, "Find something on the menu or don't eat." but that's not a particularly popular response on the dis.

I also don't let my daughter repeat meals on vacation. It keeps her from just falling back on chicken nuggets for every meal out of laziness.

I like the idea of not allowing repeat meals! I think I will do it too this summer. My DDs eat almost everything at home but given a choice they will always choose nuggets & pepperoni pizza (oldest)or hot dogs and pasta (youngest).

at the hibachi place...someone posted a few months ago..that their child who didnt like most of the food...ate the meat and the chicken that was cooked...it gave the adults a chance to eat there and the child ate enough to keep them happy...at the Luau a year ago..our grandkids who are not picky...was brought mac and cheese and hot dogs in case they didnt like the food that was brought out...they ate the mac and cheese, the hot dog and the food on the table too...they had a great time for the few hours they were sitting...

Yes... If you check the menus, no matter where you go, kid's menus are pretty bland. We were disappointed at Sanaa a couple of years ago that there were no Indian choices on the menu.. Not one! It was all cheeseburger, cheese pizza, etc. Check the menus out... I think you'll be surprised at how basic the kid's meals are!

We try to relax all the rules on vacation. If they want to order chicken nuggets five days in a row, go for it! However, we do review the menu and suggest options with them. I have found that most WDW restaurants will serve pasta with butter and cheese, even if its not on the menu. Its horrible nutritionally, but my girls always like it.

I would just say, "Find something on the menu or don't eat." but that's not a particularly popular response on the dis.
This is what I do. For our family, vacations present an opportunity to step out of habits and preconceptions. I'm usually pleasantly surprised by what my kids are willing to try and enjoy on vacation that they don't at home. Of course, if something comes with a particularly reviled ingredient (say, topped with chives or a spicy sauce) I may ask for a version without.

I review all menus, then make a list of the places that I know have things that DH & DD will eat. The only place DD had trouble finding something she wanted was at Sunshine Seasons for lunch. She made do, but other wise, she had meatball subs or chicken nuggets everywhere else! As a Disney adult, it was harder to do this time.

I also don't let my daughter repeat meals on vacation. It keeps her from just falling back on chicken nuggets for every meal out of laziness.

Totally agree and I love your idea of not repeating meals. I'll have to give a try on our next trip! I would not let my DS only eat dessert nor would I not go somewhere because of his unwillingness to even try something.

We try to relax all the rules on vacation. If they want to order chicken nuggets five days in a row, go for it! However, we do review the menu and suggest options with them. I have found that most WDW restaurants will serve pasta with butter and cheese, even if its not on the menu. Its horrible nutritionally, but my girls always like it.
Same here. I know I don't follow my " healthy diet" at all at Disney and don't make my kids either. It's vacation, and we all eat things we normally don't, like dessert at every meal.

If I can't find something on the menu that they will eat, we pick some place else. I would never pick a place that they wouldn't enjoy just because I WOULD. It's a FAMILY vacation, not just mine. When the kids grow up we will go to all those places in Epcot that we've skipped. But as you said, I've found most places pretty accommodating. I have an autistic son, who is horribly picky, and with the rise in kids being diagnosed, there will be a lot of kids in the same boat. I don't see subbing fries for mashed potatoes as unreasonable. I have 2 kids that would gag on mashed potatoes, and I should force them to eat it or starve :confused3 Um no. We just chose places with menus everyone will enjoy.

Personally, once they were in school (K4), I would say " find something you want on the menu, or choose not to eat. You WILL behave while we are here, and we will pick up something for you when we leave. Choose not to do that, and there will be consequences." If they didn't sit still, be respectful, ect they would lose something of value to them ( iPod, TV privileges, ect) for a few days. Kids can and should behave in a restaurant and allow others to eat. If hey don't like the food, fine, but that shouldn't dictate what everyone else in the family eats. I am not going to purposely choose restaurants someone doesn't like over and over, but everyone in the family gets to pick a place or 2 they really want. It's not fair to cross a place off the list forever because one family member doesn't like it. I don't like hamburgers, but we do that sometimes, so sometimes we do what I want. It's all about balance and give and take.

Yes... If you check the menus, no matter where you go, kid's menus are pretty bland. We were disappointed at Sanaa a couple of years ago that there were no Indian choices on the menu.. Not one! It was all cheeseburger, cheese pizza, etc. Check the menus out... I think you'll be surprised at how basic the kid's meals are!
This is a must do every trip for us, and I usually split adult meal with DD there when she was younger for this reason. She loves Indian and we usually get the entree with 2-3 curries and split it. She is old enough now for her own plate, but it was a good compromise when she was younger. Depending on how busy they are, sometimes we were able to get a half portion of an adult entree.

That's totally me too. Either eat or don't...your choice. But certainly not just dessert if they aren't willing to try something else first. Unfortunately we parents are the ones that let our kids turn into picky eaters because it's often easier to let them get their way than listen to the whining. Thst happened to my first two. Then I got wiser. Third daughter, with down syndrome, will try anything. She may not like it which is fine but she will always taste and usually does like it Watched her astound another family in Paris once who were letting their kds order pizza at a lovely little bistro so they would stop complaining At our table next to theirs Alex was eating escargot and rabbit.

Nope, I was born picky and so was one of my kids (also extremely stubborn when forced to eat something). A couple of my kids probably would eat escargot, I doubt anyone would eat rabbit just as they would not eat a dog. Personally I would eat none of those. I do not think there is anything wrong with being picky.

We are another "mean" family that won't plan around picky eating, lol! Our rule has always been that you eat what is offered to you, or you can go hungry until the next meal. Definitely no dessert or snacks afterwards if they choose to skip the entree.

Especially at Disney restaurants, there are plenty of tame options for kids, and even at the more adult-oriented ones (Teppan-Edo comes to mind) they were happy to make a kid- friendly version of the more exotic food. I really can't imagine a normal kid not finding anything they will eat. Just encourage them to broaden their horizons a little. Or survive a few hours on an empty stomach- they'll live!

As for repeating meals, we don't go so far as to say they can't have the same thing twice, but there are a couple of things (grilled cheese for DS and pizza for DD) that we won't let them have two days in a row. They like plenty of other stuff, but will overdo their favorites if we let them. And I strongly believe that you need a good variety of food to stay healthy :)

Just asking for advice from other parents! I have a 3 and 6 year old who aren't super picky for their ages, but I know they won't like the menu options at some of the Epcot restaurants that we'd like to go to dine (Mexico and Japan), and probably a few others.

What do other parents do? Skip the restaurants? Let the kids just order dessert? Feed them before hand? Bring Pb&J?

Just wondering how others handle it!

I am now so amazed that I was able to upgrade my 5 & 8 to adults so they can have adult options with our free dining plan for just $42 more for the complete week of our vacations in December! No more fights over kids food!

I'm pretty opposed to 'kid food', i.e. chicken nuggets, hot dogs, low quality pizza. When my kids were little I would order an adult entree for them to share, DS will eat anything, DD prefers foods that are in their original state such as a chicken breast, steak, whole green beans, etc. Her preferred entree is pasta with marinara sauce and I allow that sometimes with a side of protein.

Now that they are older I will sometimes have the kids each order an adult entree & I'll eat a 1/3 of each. They are 11 & 14 and no longer count as kids at WDW.

Off topic, but DD has a few sensory issues when she was born and while I am pretty accommodating at home (making her food the original texture or less seasoned) but she had to figure out how to each at a sushi place pretty early on as well as other restaurants. She would do teriyaki chicken and now eats California Roll! The sushi didn't happen until she was 14, but don't give up.

Our daughter is very picky. I have never made 'second' meals, she just doesn't eat. She is 13 and has some sensory issues that make the problem worse. Her dr recently talked to her about eating (and suggested her dad and I not say anything, things like eating at least one protein a day, not skipping meals, etc) Last time we went to disney she was 5 and we carried a pb&j half everyday for her.

I was looking at menus for our trip next year and I do try and look for things everyone would like and we do relax our healthy eating rules somewhat on vacations. Still, I finally told her if she thought I was eating chicken strips for 2 weeks she was crazy. I handed her a stack of menus I printed online and said you have a year to either find something on each one of these you like or learn to like something. So far so good, she looked them over and found some things she really likes and has picked a couple things new to try here (we aren't talking exotic, just stuff she won't currently eat) If I have to I will get her something later somewhere else, but I am hopeful we won't have to more than once

One of the best things we did when our kids were little was eat around Epcot at the counter places. We shared different meals and it was just enough to introduce things in a fun way. It really expanded my oldest child's food choices

Our daughter is very picky. I have never made 'second' meals, she just doesn't eat. She is 13 and has some sensory issues that make the problem worse. Her dr recently talked to her about eating (and suggested her dad and I not say anything, things like eating at least one protein a day, not skipping meals, etc) Last time we went to disney she was 5 and we carried a pb&j half everyday for her.

I was looking at menus for our trip next year and I do try and look for things everyone would like and we do relax our healthy eating rules somewhat on vacations. Still, I finally told her if she thought I was eating chicken strips for 2 weeks she was crazy. I handed her a stack of menus I printed online and said you have a year to either find something on each one of these you like or learn to like something. So far so good, she looked them over and found some things she really likes and has picked a couple things new to try here (we aren't talking exotic, just stuff she won't currently eat) If I have to I will get her something later somewhere else, but I am hopeful we won't have to more than once

One of the best things we did when our kids were little was eat around Epcot at the counter places. We shared different meals and it was just enough to introduce things in a fun way. It really expanded my oldest child's food choices

Sometimes, no matter what you do, a kid is going to be a picky eater. DS9 is fairly picky; however, we have always found something at any of the WDW restaurants. The only place I had been reluctant to try was Spice Road Table; however, I recently learned that they have a kids menu.

DS used to eat about anything when he was little. He loved Indian and Thai food. For awhile, his favorite meal was pork tenderloin and broccoli. Since about elementary school started, he won't touch fruit or veggies, except sometimes carrots and corn. He doesn't even like potatoes and will only marginally eat french fries. He will barely eat peanut or almond butter, but it has to be plain or with honey, no jelly. We always make him eat a bite of everything when we cook at home. I have tried making him stay at the table until he ate everything, but then he was up until 10pm. He sat at the table for 4 hours. So as long as he eats a bite of everything and most of his meat or fish, we let him go. I have actually seen him not eat or eat very little for multiple days in a row. We don't totally baby him. But since he doesn't eat much to begin with, we do try to pick something at WDW that he will eat, so he has energy to enjoy the parks.

Every kid and family is different. So, I try to be understanding with others on the board and just answer the questions they ask. It's hard enough sometimes to deal with your current situation, much less dealing with parenting advice from others. We place a lot of importance on food in our culture, and maybe it would be better if it were viewed more as fuel. I bet your daughter will find her way; it sounds like she already is.

Personally, once they were in school (K4), I would say " find something you want on the menu, or choose not to eat. You WILL behave while we are here, and we will pick up something for you when we leave. Choose not to do that, and there will be consequences." If they didn't sit still, be respectful, ect they would lose something of value to them ( iPod, TV privileges, ect) for a few days. Kids can and should behave in a restaurant and allow others to eat. If hey don't like the food, fine, but that shouldn't dictate what everyone else in the family eats. I am not going to purposely choose restaurants someone doesn't like over and over, but everyone in the family gets to pick a place or 2 they really want. It's not fair to cross a place off the list forever because one family member doesn't like it. I don't like hamburgers, but we do that sometimes, so sometimes we do what I want. It's all about balance and give and take.

I agree, I never book restaurants that I know one of our family members would not find a meal to enjoy, but if we find that once we arrive there is nothing that appeals to one of the group, adult or child, it is just too bad. There has to be something on the menu that will hold them over til we leave, so I expect good manners.

The one time that I thought there would be a problem was at Rose & Crown, but the CHef was so accomodating. My little DGD had suffered from food allergies, and the Chef could nto find one thing for her onthe children's menu. We did not ask for accomodations, and would have just ordered a meal for her that was safe, but the Chef stepped in before we even got that far and offered to prepare her a child sized version of any safe entree on th adult menu. At Cape May clambake there were no desserts, and she knew better than to complain, but at the end of the meal the Chef who had walked the buffet line with my DSIL and DGD appeared with an assortment of treats he had been able to round up from within the resort.

I think that instead of avoiding any restaurants that do not appeal to the who group, one can look at these options as an opportunity to try new foods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter