When to Buy Thanksgiving Air

AZGurl

Earning My Ears
For those of you that have gone over TG before, when did you buy air? I hate to wait for SW to post fares (although I may), as they aren't my preferred airline and I have heard that their fares have been rising. On the other hand, posted fares on AA as of now are so high that they are near the price of first class for a coach ticket! Anybody have any advice on how to get a decent deal during this peak time?

I booked a trip for December 1 to 7 last year, not realizing that Dec 1 was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. When fares first came out for Southwest, it was around $450 for December 1. Ugh! It dropped to $360 and I bit the bullet because I really wanted a mid morning flight. About one month before the flight, it dropped to $210! I took the $150 credit and was able to use it for my April 2020 flight.

I booked a trip for December 1 to 7 last year, not realizing that Dec 1 was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. When fares first came out for Southwest, it was around $450 for December 1. Ugh! It dropped to $360 and I bit the bullet because I really wanted a mid morning flight. About one month before the flight, it dropped to $210! I took the $150 credit and was able to use it for my April 2020 flight.
Yep, American is about $480 right now for our preferred non-stop flight. I put a watch on it on Google Air. Too early to try Southwest....

Air travel around major holiday's always books up quickly. Have had the most luck booking as soon as our travel plans are known. Unlikely for any airline to offer discounts since they can sell all of their seats at regular price for such holidays. When a lower fare is sold out, the fare jumps to the next higher price category. If you have some flexibility on the actual days of travel, you might find better prices on Thanksgiving or Christmas day (as an example), since those are slower travel days once the majority have already reached their destination. The Tuesday/Wednesday before Thanksgiving has historically been some of the busiest airline travel days of the year.

So, the Google flight tracker let me know this morning that the fare I was watching went down $100 per person and I jumped on it. I agree with _19disnA that given the fact that we are not flexible on dates, the best course of action is probably not to wait. Thanks again to everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!