• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When will skyliner be back to normal capacity?

On opening day they stuck three parties in one gondola. Mine was a party of 4, I don't remember exact makeup of the others. They were definitely trying to fill them up. If there was room and the next party was at the attendant they'd put them in.
I think they ease back on that after it a few weeks, because it was making them stop the line a lot.

I would not at all be comfortable stuck in a gondola with people that might take their mask off when I've got my unvaccinated children with me. I'm sure I"m not the only one who feels this way and I could see actual fights happening. The gondola's are unique because there's no way for a CM to police what's goign on inside of them.
I get this feeling, I'm a big pro-masker.

However, the reality is there is a ton of airflow through the cabins. I calculated it in the Gondola thread, but IIRC it does a full air change like every 10 seconds. So especially now that it is warm and the vents will be open I don't think there would be much risk. I'm sure the vast majority of people at Disney would put their masks on if asked nicely, especially if the gondola stopped, as well. I at least believe that more at Disney than literally anywhere else I ever go.

Last July I was Breckenridge, and they were still grouping two parties per Gondola in their system, and there gondola's have significantly less ventilation. I didn't love it, but people left their masks on.

I think they ease back on that after it a few weeks, because it was making them stop the line a lot.

I didn't see them stopping or slowing the line to do it. Just if the people were there and they fit, they'd squeeze that third party in. I liked it when the group(s) behind us were too pokey to make it in my cabin.

I didn't see them stopping or slowing the line to do it. Just if the people were there and they fit, they'd squeeze that third party in. I liked it when the group(s) behind us were too pokey to make it in my cabin.
There was a lot about it in the original Gondola thread. Basically people were being too slow and they'd have to stop the line. The gondolas suffered excessive stops when it first opened, which they made better in part by not trying to cram as many people in each one.

A one minute stop is the equivalent of missing 5-6 gondolas, so it's better to load 2 parties continuously then try for three and have to stop every 10 minutes.

There was a lot about it in the original Gondola thread. Basically people were being too slow and they'd have to stop the line. The gondolas suffered excessive stops when it first opened, which they made better in part by not trying to cram as many people in each one.

A one minute stop is the equivalent of missing 5-6 gondolas, so it's better to load 2 parties continuously then try for three and have to stop every 10 minutes.

I rode it opening day (Pop to Epcot and back). They didn't stop or slow the line to get the third party in with my group when that happened. And when the group behind us was slow we got a cabin to ourselves.

People spend hours on a plane and no reports of covid spread
A few minutes on the Skyliner.
If your cabin mates take off their mask and you’re uncomfortable ask nicely to have them put it back on.
Most will but as we know there are a few jerks.

Last edited:
I rode it opening day (Pop to Epcot and back). They didn't stop or slow the line to get the third party in with my group when that happened. And when the group behind us was slow we got a cabin to ourselves.
It was widely reported as an issue at the time and they made several adjustments to operations early on. And like with most things at Disney the CMs were inconsistent with some trying to load every gondola fully and others not.

People spend hours on a plane and no reports of covid spread
A few minutes on the Skyliner.
If your cabin mates take off their mask and you’re uncomfortable ask nicely to have them put it back on.
Most will but as we know there are a few jerks.

I don’t care too much. I just don’t want to be stuck in a gondola with a triple masked crazy Covidian group.

While I'm not surprised, I agree with others than masking preference could make for an awkward trip. Yes, those that are more comfortable with masks should be fine asking others to mask up, but be prepared for them to (hopefully) politely say no just as often as they politely say yes. The CDC is saying they are not putting others at risk, so I do expect folks to get defensive about being asked to put it on. Personally (and yes, we all feel varying levels of comfort right now, and that's ok) I'm comfortable with the air flow level in the cabin that I won't be asking people to mask up, especially with the CDC telling me I'm safe from others, and they are safe from me, because I'm vaccinated. I do think this decision will make some avoid the gondolas all together for the time being.

Everyone needs to do what is best for them, but I don't think it's fair too call someone rude for politely disregarding a request to mask up. The federal guidance is telling them it's safe for both themselves and others, and it doesn't make them rude to follow it. Personally, I think the most polite thing at the moment is just to quietly accept that some follow the guidance and some prefer a more conservative approach, but neither are wrong. You may get stuck together for a short period of time. Demanding the other party do it your way isn't fair. I just don't think either side is inherently more or less rude than the other.

** PS: Because it's an attraction aren't they required to mask up anyways? My reply (I should NOT speak to others before coffee dangit) is geared towards if they COULD be taken off while on the gondola. Remembering they're required to be worn, I feel reminding another party to mask up is fair, but be prepared for them to not be polite about it. I'd love to think they would be kind, realize oh, we forgot, and be done with it.

It was widely reported as an issue at the time and they made several adjustments to operations early on. And like with most things at Disney the CMs were inconsistent with some trying to load every gondola fully and others not.

There was an issue with people not knowing what the heck they were doing when they got to the front of the line, definitely. It wasn't specifically tied to loading multiple groups into a gondola, people just turned into deer in the headlights after CMs told them where to go.

While I'm not surprised, I agree with others than masking preference could make for an awkward trip. Yes, those that are more comfortable with masks should be fine asking others to mask up, but be prepared for them to (hopefully) politely say no just as often as they politely say yes. The CDC is saying they are not putting others at risk, so I do expect folks to get defensive about being asked to put it on. Personally (and yes, we all feel varying levels of comfort right now, and that's ok) I'm comfortable with the air flow level in the cabin that I won't be asking people to mask up, especially with the CDC telling me I'm safe from others, and they are safe from me, because I'm vaccinated. I do think this decision will make some avoid the gondolas all together for the time being.

Everyone needs to do what is best for them, but I don't think it's fair too call someone rude for politely disregarding a request to mask up. The federal guidance is telling them it's safe for both themselves and others, and it doesn't make them rude to follow it. Personally, I think the most polite thing at the moment is just to quietly accept that some follow the guidance and some prefer a more conservative approach, but neither are wrong. You may get stuck together for a short period of time. Demanding the other party do it your way isn't fair. I just don't think either side is inherently more or less rude than the other.

** PS: Because it's an attraction aren't they required to mask up anyways? My reply (I should NOT speak to others before coffee dangit) is geared towards if they COULD be taken off while on the gondola. Remembering they're required to be worn, I feel reminding another party to mask up is fair, but be prepared for them to not be polite about it. I'd love to think they would be kind, realize oh, we forgot, and be done with it.
Yes, it is required on transportation and rides, so no party should be allowed to refuse right now.

The lines look worse than they are. They move constantly, so when it's backed up past the bridge at the IG it still only takes maybe 30 minutes.

I have family members there this week. They waited almost 50 minutes at Epcot closing he night they were there.

I have family members there this week. They waited almost 50 minutes at Epcot closing he night they were there.
Since the skyliner just started combining parties yesterday, by that wait time I am guessing they were at Epcot earlier than yesterday?

People stay in a hotel bed that someone else was in just a few hours earlier, walk around on the carpet where others just walked on, sit on sofas and chairs, even use the same toilet, etc. Surely a few minutes in a airy gondola can't be that bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter